PDA

View Full Version : Upper back pain.

Dalik
10-01-2011, 21:50
Gentlemen,
Every time i ruck, when about 2-3 miles into it, pain starts in my upper back. At first i thought that it is just because i'm not used to it. I have been rucking for few months now, averaging 20 miles a week, so shouldn't i get used to it by now?
Haven't experienced anything similar in IDF either. Have any of you gone through same problem? Is it normal? Maybe my rack needs readjustment/ modification, in some way i do not know about? (using Alice pack) Any input appreciated.
I could not find a post with info on my questions, if such exists, please direct me there and delete this post, back to PT.
Thank you.

wet dog
10-01-2011, 21:53
Gentlemen,
Every time i ruck, when about 2-3 miles into it, pain starts in my upper back. At first i thought that it is just because i'm not used to it. I have been rucking for few months now, averaging 20 miles a week, so shouldn't i get used to it by now?
Haven't experienced anything similar in IDF either. Have any of you gone through same problem? Is it normal? Maybe my rack needs readjustment/ modification, in some way i do not know about? (using Alice pack) Any input appreciated.
I could not find a post with info on my questions, if such exists, please direct me there and delete this post, back to PT.
Thank you.

Try a good shoulder/back stretch before the ruck, drink more water.

2018commo
10-02-2011, 07:59
Ease up on the weight, and see if it subsides, along with what WD said you can also stretch while the ruck is on. What ever you do do not run with the ruck unless you are being shot at, or your back will be like most of ours when you hit 40.

Abu Jack
10-02-2011, 09:35
I was in the infantry for 7 years and SF for 18. My back always hurt. It never went away. Odds are whatever weight you are training with is about half to 3/4's of what you'll have to carry when you get to an ODA. You just have to HTFU and keep moving.

Dalik
10-02-2011, 12:03
Thank you, Gentlemen.

Boomer-61
10-12-2011, 18:58
Dalik,
If by upper back you mean between the shoulder blades your pain might be muscular. The muscles that live in your upper back are the Rhomboids, the Trapezius and the spine extensors. There is a constant battle going on when you carry a ruck. The ruck wants to pull your body backwards and down. The muscles responsible for holding you erect are mentioned above. The standard Alice pack places a fulcrum on your lower back where the waiste pad rests and the next point of contact is the shoulders where the straps support the pack. This design places maximal stress on the upper and mid back. It seems counter intuative but if you work on strengthening your abs you will support your spine. The muscles of the back are already getting a pretty good work out but if you want to train them with weights just do some barbell shrugs. On the days you ruck stay out of the gym. If you go for a stretch where you're not under your ruck, hit the gym. I'm guessing this pain will fade away over the next several weeks as you get conditioned for the ruck. Good luck.

Dusty
10-12-2011, 21:06
Do like we did and run. It's over quicker and the pain doesn't last as long.