PDA

View Full Version : EOD teams attached to SF detachments - Whats it like?

Game Trained
09-30-2011, 21:14
Hello Gentlemen,

I'm currently in Ft Lee, going to AIT for EOD. I just started my schooling, and my main focus is to pass phase one. My curiosity was sparked when one of our instructors was talking about how EOD teams can be attached to SF units, if stationed with/near them.

This was exactly what I was hoping for, and now know it could be reality, but have a few questions about it.

Obviously OPSEC is a concern, but what would an EOD teams' role be, while attached to a SF unit? Do they just wait in the van until an ordnance is found? :p

Or do they actually play a role, almost like an 18C, and go out and complete missions with the team?

Basically, my dream sheet looked like this: Ft Bragg, Ft Bragg, and possibly Ft Bragg. So if I do complete this school, and make it into Ft Bragg, how much would it help being with an SF unit as EOD, in terms of training and getting prepared for SFAS/Q course/SF mindset.

EDIT: I was corrected on the actual role of a 18C (I haven't read much into each MOS and all the details of their jobs, just a little bit here and there) so what I mean is, do they play a role in the team, where they get to participate in the action?
Thank you.

wet dog
09-30-2011, 22:53
You will probably spend the majority of your time with your platoon and performing unit assignments as your squad leader and Platoon Sergeant dictate.

Its ok to ask, but it's really too soon. Just get back to your 25M target, focus there first, learn and graduate. Take a deep breath, many of your questions will be answered not by us, but by exposure and time.

Good luck.

Hello Gentlemen,

I'm currently in Ft Lee, going to AIT for EOD. I just started my schooling, and my main focus is to pass phase one. My curiosity was sparked when one of our instructors was talking about how EOD teams can be attached to SF units, if stationed with/near them.

This was exactly what I was hoping for, and now know it could be reality, but have a few questions about it.

Obviously OPSEC is a concern, but what would an EOD teams' role be, while attached to a SF unit? Do they just wait in the van until an ordnance is found? :p

Or do they actually play a role, almost like an 18C, and go out and complete missions with the team?

Basically, my dream sheet looked like this: Ft Bragg, Ft Bragg, and possibly Ft Bragg. So if I do complete this school, and make it into Ft Bragg, how much would it help being with an SF unit as EOD, in terms of training and getting prepared for SFAS/Q course/SF mindset.

EDIT: I was corrected on the actual role of a 18C (I haven't read much into each MOS and all the details of their jobs, just a little bit here and there) so what I mean is, do they play a role in the team, where they get to participate in the action?
Thank you.

Pete
10-01-2011, 06:43
GT are you asking about the 18C or an EOD Tec assigned to support an SF element?

Everybody who is assigned to the team does everything else everybody does with a focus on their MOS.

Everybody else non-18 series attached to the team is attached because they bring a skill set required for an assigned requirement. It could be a cook - research cooks here and you'll find one who won medals fighting with an A Team. But he was not attached to the team to be a door kicker. He was attached to be a cook - and then did what was required - as all are expected to do.

Any time SF asks for an EOD Tech for a special requirement we will be looking for a good one.

So as Wet Dog said focus on the 25 meter target - if you become a good EOD Tech - and are picked to be attached to an SF element it will be because you're an EOD Tech. After that it's on you to show them how good a Tech you are first - and then help out as needed.

Game Trained
10-01-2011, 18:32
Thanks for your reply Sir, I really just meant, what type of role did they play? But now I know. I'm extremely focused on my schooling, actually studying right now.

Thanks again, I have a better understanding now. I cannot wait to finish school (positive thoughts :lifter)

MtnGoat
10-05-2011, 08:35
Thanks for your reply Sir, I really just meant, what type of role did they play? But now I know. I'm extremely focused on my schooling, actually studying right now.

Thanks again, I have a better understanding now. I cannot wait to finish school (positive thoughts :lifter)

GOOD to hear.. Now get off your computer and study and get pass Phase ONE!!!

Target is up and you need to focus be for you can shoot!!

Game Trained
10-06-2011, 21:06
Roger. Fired my first shot on Wednesday, got a bullseye. My first test was a 100%, only 7 more test and I'm out of Phase 1.

Utah Bob
10-07-2011, 08:34
There is another path, Grasshopper.
You may eventually take it.
Good luck.

JoeEOD
10-07-2011, 19:30
You've got to walk before you can run. As Wet Dog stated above: keep your eye on the 25M target. You've got three phases to get through before you pin on the crab and get to a field unit - and that's where the learning really BEGINS! Your instructors have a wealth of field experience that they are ready to share. All you need to do is listen to what they have to say. The important lessons are not always prefaced with "You'll see this again" The problems in the practical area are based on real world experience that was earned the hard way.
After you get out and spend a couple of years becoming a good EOD tech you'll have the skills and knowledge to be an assett to an SF team.

Game Trained
10-07-2011, 20:15
I have many plans for SF, back up plans, and hopeful plans. My main plan is really to become an EOD, and do that for my first 6 years. My main focus as of right now, isn't SF, or training for SF, but passing EOD school. Its my 25m, 50m, and 200m targets, sf is my 300m.

I figured after a few deployments or my 6 years, I'll reenlist aiming for SF.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Game Trained
12-08-2011, 19:56
Made it to phase 2. I'm down in Eglin. Its extremely motivating to get SF group 7 down here. I'll walk past Quiet Professionals in the BX, and just want to ask them a 1000 questions.

Hopefully I'll find a SF guy down here I could train with, or just chat with.

One of my Sargents that was in my old class was about half way through the Q course before getting dropped. That was a great experience to talk to him about all the training he did.

Sarski
12-08-2011, 23:30
I have a few EOD friends, and their skills are quite varied, and abilities naturally well rounded to pick up the slack and complement any team they are assigned to. Of course picking up slack comes with experience, but "waiting in the van" will never happen. Hitting the bullseye is a great start. Keep it up. :lifter

BooneGA
01-11-2012, 13:55
As a current EOD Officer- You need to focus on becoming a Tech first. Second, prove yourself competent in both CONUS and deployed enviroments. You will support a variety of units from National Guard Engineer units to SF and other Task Forces. There are a few platoons that are assigned a designated support mission to certain SF Groups, but in all honesty, your chances of ending up there are slim. You are more than welcome, however, to attend selection for the 28th EOD Co who has a full time ARSOF support mission.

If you have any questions shoot me a PM.

Rick

iMaGiNe
01-19-2012, 19:39
I thought the Navy's EOD teams handle the SOF community

BooneGA
01-20-2012, 14:14
In the past they have handled the majority of it, however with the advent of the 28th EOD Company (specifically supporting a Tier-1 unit) and other Army EOD companies slotted for specific SF Group support that is no longer the case. In addition MARSOC has EOD Techs assigned for support.

Also, all four Services are very capable of supporting SOF unit as required downrange.

Rick

EODtony
02-29-2012, 01:07
I've done a few missions with SF in both Iraq and Afghanistan. We operated as EOD techs, but that being said we weren't just there to do EOD work. You are expected to hold your own when it comes to all the other pieces of the mission.

But, like everyone has posted above, keep short term goals in focus. EOD school is just the begining. Proving yourself at your first unit can be quite the challenge.

Tony

MtnGoat
02-29-2012, 19:29
Made it to phase 2. I'm down in Eglin. Its extremely motivating to get SF group 7 down here. I'll walk past Quiet Professionals in the BX, and just want to ask them a 1000 questions.

Hopefully I'll find a SF guy down here I could train with, or just chat with.

One of my Sargents that was in my old class was about half way through the Q course before getting dropped. That was a great experience to talk to him about all the training he did.

Game... CONGRADS on making it to Phase 2. Stay out of the bars, pass Phase 2. Once to get to your unit you'll start having fun.

Your targets are up you need to engage them.