PDA

View Full Version : Nice article,, A little history lesson..

JJ_BPK
09-30-2011, 03:18
Nice article,, A little history lesson,, enjoy..

Green Berets reflect on what makes Special Forces special, 2:05 AM, Sep. 24, 2011

http://www.theleafchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2011109240326

:lifter

greenberetTFS
09-30-2011, 05:36
Nice article,, A little history lesson,, enjoy..

Green Berets reflect on what makes Special Forces special, 2:05 AM, Sep. 24, 2011

http://www.theleafchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2011109240326

:lifter

Not quite as old as those boys,but have my own memories of old SF days................;) :D

Big Teddy :munchin

glebo
09-30-2011, 06:24
Nice article, sure wish I could coax my father in law to go to some of those oldtimer reunions...he don't like goin' to them...

Pete
09-30-2011, 06:38
Nice article, sure wish I could coax my father in law to go to some of those oldtimer reunions...he don't like goin' to them...

Speaking of Old SF History - the Buffer Man?

How's he doing? You said you'd check up on him.

Richard
09-30-2011, 06:51
Speaking of Old SF History - the Buffer Man?

How's he doing? You said you'd check up on him.

The one on the PsyOps painting hanging in the JFK Center entrance hallway? ;)

We used to refer to the 'B' in 05B, 11B, 12B, and 91B as being Army code for 'Buffermaster' which we earned cleaning the JFK Center while going through SFTG.

Richard :munchin

Pete
09-30-2011, 07:17
Yeah, that's the one.

I was telling the story to Glebo while at lunch yesterday with a great group of PS.com members up at the Lodge. The, er, wait staff, was giving us dirty looks as it was well past lunch time and our table was the only folks in there.

Stras was there and his CSM was sitting at another table to keep an eye on him and make sure he didn't grow his hair out like the rest of us long hairs.

Anyway, Glebo, since he works in the "Tan" (ex White) House. said he would check up on Buffer Man.

glebo
09-30-2011, 08:01
Yeah, that's the one.

I was telling the story to Glebo while at lunch yesterday with a great group of PS.com members up at the Lodge. The, er, wait staff, was giving us dirty looks as it was well past lunch time and our table was the only folks in there.

Stras was there and his CSM was sitting at another table to keep an eye on him and make sure he didn't grow his hair out like the rest of us long hairs.

Anyway, Glebo, since he works in the "Tan" (ex White) House. said he would check up on Buffer Man.

yeah, yeah, If I rmember at lunch I'll pop over and check it out for ya...

gotta go to lunch first though....priorities must be adhered to..:D:D

that was a good story though, It'd be interesting to see if it was still there...

BTW, nice lunch fellas...good way to spend a lunch time..:lifter

I shoulda went back for another plate..

glebo
09-30-2011, 10:23
well fellas...no more buffer man. They may have moved it to another location, but it's not there now. They totally remodified that joint about 2 yrs ago...

Now, gotta come up with some more legacy trivia...

Pete
09-30-2011, 10:30
...........Now, gotta come up with some more legacy trivia...

OK, where was the old 82nd Sport Parachute Club/Bar located.

Hint - it became real popular when the GB Club moved over to the old Womack area.

I think they closed it down because SF kept drinking them out of beer.

glebo
09-30-2011, 10:35
wasn't it over by yadkin rd, near the 5th gp BOP site??? I remember the GB club over near the hospital, so the other one near yadkin, comin' down rielly had to be the 82d one....I think..

Richard
09-30-2011, 11:10
wasn't it over by yadkin rd, near the 5th gp BOP site??? I remember the GB club over near the hospital, so the other one near yadkin, comin' down rielly had to be the 82d one....I think..

That's where I remember it being, too - about a 5 minute crawl away from the Drop Zone Club and Vet Clinic on the corner of Yadkin/Reilly.

Richard :munchin

PRB
09-30-2011, 12:14
was a great reunion with the Org Day activities...there were young guys there too you know...like me.

Pete
09-30-2011, 13:25
was a great reunion with the Org Day activities...there were young guys there too you know...like me.

Point of view. To some you were one of the older guys. :D

glebo
09-30-2011, 13:43
Point of view. To some you were one of the older guys. :D

darn pete, why don't ya just ruin his moment...:D

I was at Campbell, but only for a day, and didn't even get on post, or near it. Went up to the grandsons 1st B-day, and that was about it....wish I had more time...oh well..:(

Pete
09-30-2011, 14:54
darn pete, why don't ya just ruin his moment...:D...

PRB's advantage is that when he's 70 he'll still look 40.

The Reaper
09-30-2011, 18:36
OK, where was the old 82nd Sport Parachute Club/Bar located.

Hint - it became real popular when the GB Club moved over to the old Womack area.

I think they closed it down because SF kept drinking them out of beer.

Last time I saw it, IIRC, it was in a splinter barracks in the area that the 7th Group eventually occupied near the corner of Yadkin and Reilly.

TR

PRB
09-30-2011, 22:17
PRB's advantage is that when he's 70 he'll still look 40.

3 day pass whenever you choose!

PRB
09-30-2011, 22:26
Honestly though, it was more than worth the trip and I'd advise all of you guys to visit your Groups reunions or Org Days.
The best time I had was lengthy conversations with old friends I hadn't seen in years. Some on this site.
The real plus was the young A Det commander volunteer bar tender in the hospitality room and our long visit talking team stuff...and the young team E7 and his wife partying and just hanging around having a good time.
You don't get the time back and I felt like I was back at a family reunion. A really functional family with a purpose and history.
First one I've been too but not the last.

wet dog
09-30-2011, 23:08
Special Forces push

Retired 1st Sgt. Bob Paiser, 78, sitting with his wife, Gladys, remembered the big recruiting push for Special Forces in the early 1960s, when Vietnam was looming on the horizon. At the time he opted for Special Forces training in 1964, he was already a Sgt. 1st Class, a senior NCO, with 11 years in the Army. That was the norm according to the three friends.

Those words say a lot about our origin. I'm also realizing there are many different levels of "old" around here.