PDA

View Full Version : Master Sergeant Danial R. Adams

Richard
09-15-2011, 06:22
RIP, Top.

RELEASE NUMBER: 110914-03
DATE POSTED: SEPTEMBER 14, 2011

10th Special Forces (Airborne) Soldier Killed in Afghanistan

A Special Forces Soldier assigned to the 10th Special Forces Group (Airborne) was killed in action in Afghanistan, Sept. 13.

Master Sgt. Danial R. Adams, assigned to 1st Battalion, 10th SFG (A) in Stuttgart, Germany, was killed in an intense firefight with insurgents.

Adams, 35, a native of Oregon, joined the Army in 1995 as an infantryman, where he served with distinction as a team and squad leader while stationed at Fort Richardson, Alaska. After a short assignment at Fort Lewis, Wash., as a squad leader with 2nd Bn., 75th Ranger Regiment Adams earned the Green Beret in 2005. His first Special Forces assignment was as a senior medical sergeant with the 3rd SFG (A) at Fort Bragg, N.C. In 2009, he joined 1st Bn., 10th SFG (A), located in Stuttgart, Germany, where he served on a Special Forces team.

Adam's major military education includes Airborne School, Jungle Warfare School, Ranger School, Jumpmaster School, Air Assault School, and the Special Forces Qualification Course.

His awards and decorations include the Bronze Star Medal with 2 oak leaf clusters, the Army Commendation Medal with 2 oak leaf clusters, the Army Achievement Medal with 3 oak leaf clusters, the Army Good Conduct Medal with bronze clasp (4 Loops), the National Defense Service Medal with 1 service star, the Afghanistan Campaign Medal (with Campaign Star), the Iraq Campaign Medal (with Campaign Star), the Global War on Terror Service Medal, the Noncommissioned Officer Professional Development Ribbon with the Numeral 2, the Army Service Ribbon, the Overseas Service Ribbon, the NATO Medal, Special Forces Tab, Ranger Tab, the Parachutist Badge, the Air Assault Badge, Combat Infantryman's Badge, and Expert Infantryman's Badge.

Adams, is survived by his wife Melany, his sons Jeffrey and John, and his daughter Skye.

http://www.soc.mil/UNS/Releases/2011/September/110914-03.html

Saturation
09-15-2011, 07:00
Thank you for your service and may your children always know you as the hero that served and died for his country.
Prayers to all.

rdret1
09-15-2011, 07:05
RIP MSG Adams. Our thoughts and prayers are with your family in this difficult time. God Bless you and your family.

Sohei
09-15-2011, 07:53
Rest in Peace, MSG Adams. Thank you for your service and for paying the ultimate sacrifice for your nation. I am grateful to you beyond measure!

PedOncoDoc
09-15-2011, 08:19
Rest in peace, Warrior. Thank you for your service and your sacrifce.

Bill Harsey
09-15-2011, 08:57
Rest in peace Master Sergeant.
Thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

*Master Sergeant Danial R. Adams was from Portland, Oregon.

JJ2K1
09-15-2011, 09:15
RIP MSG Adams

sinjefe
09-15-2011, 09:40
RIP, brother.

f50lrrp
09-15-2011, 09:57
RIP!

De Oppresso Liber,

Mike

greenberetTFS
09-15-2011, 11:11
God Bless,Rest in Peace Warrior...........:(

He was just a simple soldier and his ranks are growing thin
But his presence should remind us; we may need his like again,
For when countries are in conflict, then we find the soldier's part
Is to clean up all the troubles that the politicians start.
If we cannot do him honor while he's here to hear the praise,
Then at least let's give him homage at the ending of his days.

Perhaps just a simple headline in the paper that might say:
OUR COUNTRY IS IN MOURNING, FOR A SOLDIER DIED TODAY. (author unknown)

The passing of our soldiers often go unnoticed and unsung by most of the world, remembered only by family and friends. Wish it were not so. May he RIP, his family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Big Teddy

TrapLine
09-15-2011, 11:16
Rest in peace, MSG Adams. Your family and your brothers are in my prayers.

Badger52
09-15-2011, 11:38
Prayers for the family left behind as this Warrior hovers above us now.

gbTFS: Thank you for that fine ode.

Tatonka316
09-15-2011, 12:10
Rest in Peace, MSG. Thank you for your service and your sacrifice. You will ALWAYS be missed and NEVER forgotten.

molon labe

azmg
09-15-2011, 15:03
RIP MSG and thank you for you service. Prayers out to friends and family.

The Reaper
09-15-2011, 16:16
RIP, Master Sergeant.

Thank you for your service and your sacrifice.

TR

wet dog
09-15-2011, 17:57
Rest in peace Warrior.

Bettendorf
09-15-2011, 22:41
Rest in Peace, Master Sergeant.

Goggles Pizano
09-16-2011, 00:29
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti amen.
In pace requiescat MSG Adams. Dominus vobiscum.

JJ_BPK
09-16-2011, 02:54
RIP Danial, Vaya con Dios..

FMF DOC
09-16-2011, 10:58
RIP Warrior

Stras
09-16-2011, 14:20
Brothers,

We have lost one of our own once again. MSG Dan "Slim" Adams was a Team Sergeant in B Co, 1-10th SFG(A).

The Bn(-) rendered honors to him on the flightline yesterday at Ramstein prior to his departure for CONUS.

Please keep the family and the rest of the Bn in your prayers as we deal with this tragic loss.

26 Sep Memorial Service at the Panzer Chapel, Boeblingen, Germany. Time TBD.

29 Sep, Memorial Service and Funeral Service JFK Chapel, FT Bragg. Time TBD.

Slim, Rest in Peace. We'll meet again on the Final Objective in the sky.

orion5
09-16-2011, 16:17
Very moving, Stras......

Rest in peace MSG Adams, and thank you for all you did on our behalf.

Prayers to your wife, children, family and brothers.

SF_BHT
09-16-2011, 18:13
Rest in Peace Brother!!!!!!!

Joker
09-16-2011, 19:44
Rest in Peace. Prayers out for the family, both in and out of the uniform.

CasperMike
09-17-2011, 13:21
I consider myself lucky to have served with you. I will miss you, brother. RIP

MtnGoat
09-18-2011, 10:57
RIP MSG Adams.

Thoughts and prayers are with your family in this difficult time.

Blue Skies and soft landings brother!!

LongWire
09-18-2011, 11:13
RIP Brother.........Blue Skies

Penn
09-18-2011, 11:55
RIP, Master Sergeant Adams may God bless and keep you always.

Gypsy
09-18-2011, 12:46
Rest in Peace Master Sergeant Adams, my prayers to your family and Brothers. We shall not forget your ultimate sacrifice.

SOFwarrior02
09-23-2011, 14:37
RIP, Ranger!
:(

Dusty
09-23-2011, 14:56
Prayers out to the family

Jgood
09-23-2011, 16:27
prayers out

akv
09-23-2011, 20:48
Rest in Peace and Thank You

highspeedmdd
09-23-2011, 22:48
be at peace

Richard
09-28-2011, 12:59
Today's Stars and Stripes.

Soldiers Gather To Honor Leader Killed In Afghanistan
Stars and Stripes, 27 Sep 2011

When Sgt. 1st Class Danial R. Adams fell to enemy fire Sept. 13 in eastern Afghanistan, he was leading the same way he always did, from the front.

“He led from the front, time and time again, through enemy fire so his boys didn’t have to,” said Sgt. 1st Class Matthew Hughes during a memorial service Tuesday.

Members of 1st Battalion, 10th Special Forces Group (Airborne) gathered at Panzer Kaserne Chapel in Böblingen to mourn of one of their own.

Adams, 35, of Portland, Ore., died in an intense firefight when insurgents assaulted his unit with mortar, machine-gun and small-arms fire while the unit was on patrol in Wardak province.

Adams, who was posthumously promoted to master sergeant, was recalled as a natural leader with an easygoing nature. He was called a “quiet professional” who led by example.

The slightly built soldier, known as “Slim” to his comrades, was usually the last guy to leave the office when in garrison, going out of his way to make sure no one was stuck behind to work alone, soldiers said. It was no different on the battlefield.

“He’s everything that embodies a Special Forces soldier,” said Staff Sgt. Joseph Steadman, who read recollections from Adams’ team members in Afghanistan.

“His appearance was deceiving,” Steadman continued. “We never fought beside a more fearsome warrior. He had the heart of a lion. He pushed forward when other men would have cowered. ‘Slim’ was the standard.”

Adams joined the Army in 1995 as an infantryman, serving as a team and squad leader while stationed at Fort Richardson, Alaska. His first Special Forces assignment was as a senior medical sergeant with the 3rd Special Forces Group out of Fort Bragg, N.C.

As he worked his way up the ranks, Adams emerged as a talented leader and gifted athlete, winning unit iron man contests along the way, said Lt. Col. Isaac Peltier, commander of the 1st Battalion, 10th Special Forces Group.

“He was renowned for his physical fitness,” Peltier said. “His reputation as a warrior and outstanding medic preceded him.”

He also had the ability to smile and make a joke “even as everything went to hell,” Hughes said.

During downtime on his most recent tour in Afghanistan, Adams had started talking about how this could be his last combat tour. A veteran of five tours in Iraq and Afghanistan, he had hopes of making up for lost time with his wife Melany; his sons, Jeffrey and John; and his daughter, Skye.

“When we asked him why, he’d get that big grin on his face and say, ‘Man, because Melany would beat me if I try to go again,’ ” said Steadman.

Adams was serving as team sergeant, a key position within the Green Berets, when his unit came under fire earlier this month. Outmanned and outgunned, Adams took the lead in the fight, dying in the process, according to members of the unit.

“An A-Team is the heart of the Special Forces and the team sergeant is the heart of an A-Team,” Peltier said. “The loss of Master Sergeant Dan Adams strikes at the heart of our force.”

Soldiers said they would honor Adams’ memory by carrying on with the mission.

“Dan, your boys fought like lions that day,” Hughes said. “They refused to leave your side.”

http://www.stripes.com/news/soldiers-gather-to-honor-leader-killed-in-afghanistan-1.156257

Red Flag 1
09-28-2011, 18:36
Rest In God's Peace Warrior.

TitratetoEffect
09-29-2011, 03:18
Rest in Peace brother, I will miss you.

Phil

JNox
09-12-2012, 07:31
13 Sep 2011 MSG Dan "Slim" Adams passed away. Tomorrow marks one year that he's been gone. I still miss him. I think about Slim every time I hear the National Anthem or when the flag is going up or down. I think about his kids and his wife and pray that they are ok and doing ok.

I was deployed with Slim for 5 months in Afghanistan. I was the only AF guy assigned with a bunch of SF. I asked Slim after the first couple of weeks if he'd take me out on convoys. He said he'd have to think about it. I didn't know anything so he had to teach me everything. He was a great teacher. Always very patient and he knew his stuff. I always appreciated how those guys took care of me. Helped me get my gear squared away. They ALWAYS pointed out the mistakes I made. LOL.....it was pretty easy because I made a lot of them.

Slim was always quick to make you smile but when it came down to business he was all business. He was definitely the quiet professional.

Thanks Slim!! I still think of you all the time.

ender18d
09-13-2012, 06:40
He was a great teacher. Always very patient and he knew his stuff. I always appreciated how those guys took care of me.

That sounds very familiar.

You're not alone in remembering Dan today.

RIP Brother.