PDA

View Full Version : This should be interesting...ACLU!!!!

NousDefionsDoc
09-13-2004, 15:49
USF Wants Islamic Clothing Exception
The Associated Press

TAMPA - The University of South Florida will ask the National Collegiate Athletic Association to grant an exemption to its uniform policy by allowing a Muslim player to wear Islamic clothing on the basketball court.

Andrea Armstrong, a 22-year- old Muslim convert, said she left the team and lost her athletic scholarship last week after her head coach told her that she could not wear religiously mandated clothing during practices or games. She wanted to wear long pants, a top with long sleeves and a head scarf.

USF officials said Armstrong voluntarily left the team and was under no pressure to do so.

In a meeting Friday of Armstrong, university officials and a representative of the Council on American-Islamic Relations, officials agreed that the team would accommodate her Islamic attire and reinstate her scholarship. The university also agreed to work with the NCAA on the scarf issue.

``An athlete should not be asked to choose between engaging in healthy sporting activities and her deeply held religious beliefs,'' said Ahmed Bedier, who took part in the meeting as Florida spokesman for the Council on American- Islamic Relations.

``She is a valuable member of the team,'' university spokeswoman Michelle Carlyon said.

There are five pages of rules about uniforms in the NCAA's basketball rule book, but none of them mention religious issues. All team members are required to wear the same uniform.

The NCAA offices in Indianapolis were closed Saturday, and calls to a NCAA spokesman were not immediately returned.

Other team members said they have no problems with Armstrong's conversion.

``We're not going to judge her by that,'' sophomore Rachel Sheats said.

Armstrong said she did not think her clothing would distract other players or hamper her abilities on the court.

Religion and sports have intersected elsewhere without clashing.

At Towson University in Maryland, star basketball player Tamir Goodman, an Orthodox Jew, wore a yarmulke on the court and did not play on the Jewish Sabbath. At the Olympics in Greece, several female athletes wore head scarves.

This story can be found at: http://tampatrib.com/floridametronews/MGBM8CTN0ZD.html

The Reaper
09-13-2004, 15:58
I guess she had problems understanding what the word "uniform" meant.

I cannot fathom how you attract a woman to the Moslem faith.

Maybe she would prefer to wear a burka, kept out of school, be kept locked away at home, and killed if she dishonored her male family members?

TR

CommoGeek
09-13-2004, 16:09
There are five pages of rules about uniforms in the NCAA's basketball rule book, but none of them mention religious issues. All team members are required to wear the same uniform.

That should end this, right here. But, if she wants to wear long pants and sleeves in her school colors, let her. Then when she's dying of heat exhaustion we can all laugh at her.

USF is the same school that brought you Sami al-Arian (sp?), the professor that was heavily involved in helping to fund radical Islamic movements. After this was proven he sued to get his job back and lost (thankfully). However, the school supported the Prof even after the allegations were public for months. They finally bowed to public pressure and smoked him.

USF: Good school, bad administration.

Guy
09-13-2004, 16:41
I guess she had problems understanding what the word "uniform" meant.

I cannot fathom how you attract a woman to the Moslem faith.

Maybe she would prefer to wear a burka, kept out of school, be kept locked away at home, and killed if she dishonored her male family members?

TR

Is all I can think of right now.

Before any of you "intellectuals" jump on the band-wagon of explaining the "cause and effects" of this type of religion. Let me be the first and say...

"Come from experience...not from what you have read"! :p

NousDefionsDoc
09-13-2004, 17:16
I often wonder how much of this kind of thing is more a cry for attention than anything else.

The Reaper
09-13-2004, 18:23
If she can convince the rest of the team to dress that way, they could do it.

Doubt they would survive in Florida, though.

TR

Roguish Lawyer
09-13-2004, 18:36
I don't care how juicy the issue is, I'm not paying attention to women attempting to play basketball. :D

Guy
09-14-2004, 07:10
I often wonder how much of this kind of thing is more a cry for attention than anything else.

I had to work several "Iraqi Business Women Meetings" and NOT ONE! Wore the traditional garb. :eek:

NousDefionsDoc
09-14-2004, 08:42
I don't care how juicy the issue is, I'm not paying attention to women attempting to play basketball. :D

Like Lisa Leslie couldn't smoke your ass one on one?

Roguish Lawyer
09-14-2004, 09:18
Like Lisa Leslie couldn't smoke your ass one on one?

I'm not watching myself play either. What are you, some kind of pinko WNBA fan? LOL

NousDefionsDoc
09-14-2004, 09:28
The WNBA is much closer to real basketball than the NBA. The men give it to their current multi-millionaire coke head, he dribbles for 20 seconds and takes a shot - usually a bad one. The women play as a team, pass the ball and run plays.

Simple question - what medal did the women win at Atthens and what medal did the men win?

The Reaper
09-14-2004, 09:31
I think watching women's basketball ranks right up there with watching paint dry, but I would go to a WNBA game (or watch one) before I would an NBA game.

The thuggery and egos of the current players do not impress me.

It is, after all, just a GAME.

Football, on the other hand, is a sport!

TR

echoes
09-14-2004, 09:56
It seems to me that the pants and long sleeved shirt would hinder the athlete in performance of her job on the court, thus making it unfair to her other teammates? JMHO...
But football players? I am getting a visual of an Oakland Raider in that outfit...oh my indded! :D

Holly

Solid
09-14-2004, 10:03
I was under the impression that women couldn't play sports in the stricter interpretations of the Koran...

Typical liberal. I don't care what decisions she makes privately, but when it comes to her ceding control to other entities (private institutions, team sports), she's entering into an informal agreement not to let her religious views obstruct her participation.

Grr.

Solid

Roguish Lawyer
09-14-2004, 13:10
The WNBA is much closer to real basketball than the NBA. The men give it to their current multi-millionaire coke head, he dribbles for 20 seconds and takes a shot - usually a bad one. The women play as a team, pass the ball and run plays.

Simple question - what medal did the women win at Atthens and what medal did the men win?

I don't like any league with the letters "NBA." I do take clients to Lakers games when they want to go. I do like men's college basketball, especially the Tournament. I don't watch much basketball because it coincides with hockey season. Didn't pay attention to the Olympics, although I know the men's team choked.