PDA

View Full Version : 1st degree AV block on EKG.

kuz210
09-09-2011, 17:19
So I have been doing alot of searching on the forum and haven't found anything on this specifically. I took my EKG for my physical a few weeks back and it came back as abnormal so the provider had me redo it. So got it redone twice today and it came back as abnormal again due to sinus rhythm with 1st degree AV block. This does disqualify me for SF but I would like to know if it I can get a waiver for it? Thanks for your time.

Eagle5US
09-09-2011, 17:40
You would have searched AR 40-501:

218. Heart

AR 40501 14 December 2007/RAR 23 August 2010 11

(4) Current or history of conduction disturbances such as first degree AV block (426.11)

53. Medical fitness standards for initial selection for Airborne training, Ranger training, and Special Forces training, and Reconnaissance and Surveillance Leaders Course training.
The causes of medical unfitness for initial selection for Airborne training, Ranger training, Special Forces, and Reconnaissance and Surveillance Leaders Course (RSLC) training are all the causes listed in chapter 2

j. Heart and vascular system. Paragraphs 218 through 219

Seeing as how you wouldn't search, I went ahead and did it for you.
I see you have already generated your own FTFSI tagline.

kuz210
09-09-2011, 18:02
I did read the AR but mine was dated to '03. Guess there were some changes huh? As I mentioned before I understand that it is disqualifying but I was wondering if it can be waived or not.

The Reaper
09-09-2011, 20:48
I did read the AR but mine was dated to '03. Guess there were some changes huh? As I mentioned before I understand that it is disqualifying but I was wondering if it can be waived or not.

No one here can answer that with any authority. You have to request one and see if they grant it. IMHO, right now, they will not. I could be wrong. Everyone here will have an opinion.

Do you need someone else to do your homework too?

How bad do you want it?

TR

TOMAHAWK9521
09-09-2011, 23:20
Hey! I've got one of those!

During my retirement physical, the cardiologist at Carson told me the computer said I displayed some symptoms of Brugada (sp) Syndrome. When I asked what that was he translated it into "Sudden-Death Syndrome". He was taken aback when all I could do was laugh and say "That figures." My family doesn't have a history of cardiac problems so this was unexpected.

Anyway, they said I had to take all these tests. One was a 24-hr EKG monitor thingy. The tape used to hold the leads left red marks on my skin so I looked like I had been molested by an octopus. The other test was the stress test. Now seeing how my knees are sh*t, they did the chemical stress test. Holy sh*it did that suck! And all they came up with was that I had a 1st degree AV block. I guess it could have been a lot worse.