PDA

View Full Version : numb spot on back

DevilSide
09-07-2011, 13:33
I've had this numb spot on my back for a while now, I gathered that it might be a pinched nerve but still not sure what it is or how to treat it. If anyone has any experience with this I would appreciate.

PedOncoDoc
09-07-2011, 13:48
PM sent.

Peregrino
09-07-2011, 20:45
Find yourself a scratching post. It helps if you're big enough to impersonate a bear while using it. After a while the people at work will get used to seeing you "scratching" against corners, door frames, cubicles, etc and quit commenting on it. Where I work the condition is common enough (our office has an example of almost every spinal problem known to modern medicine) that the best spots are getting popular. All it takes to start a trend is one guy cantankerous enough not to care if he looks weird trying to get a deep massage on his back.

alelks
09-07-2011, 21:15
I've had this numb spot on my back for a while now, I gathered that it might be a pinched nerve but still not sure what it is or how to treat it. If anyone has any experience with this I would appreciate.

It's probably coming from your better half elbowing you in the back to get you to quite snoring. :)

They're EVIL I tell you. :D

DevilSide
09-08-2011, 01:36
Find yourself a scratching post. It helps if you're big enough to impersonate a bear while using it. After a while the people at work will get used to seeing you "scratching" against corners, door frames, cubicles, etc and quit commenting on it. Where I work the condition is common enough (our office has an example of almost every spinal problem known to modern medicine) that the best spots are getting popular. All it takes to start a trend is one guy cantankerous enough not to care if he looks weird trying to get a deep massage on his back.

Just curious, is this condition linked to any spinal problem in particular? I'd be shocked to find I had one :confused: :(

Eagle5US
09-08-2011, 05:04
Nerves from the spine generally don't cause an issue in a "single spot" but more so in a band or area.

Probably not much to worry over. If you were truly concerned, go see your doctor, have him "map" it, see if it changes over time. If it gets bigger, I may consider asking for some imaging to ensure you don't have a tumor or growth that is causing a compression anesthesia. It may even be something as simply as a lipoma (aka: ball of fat) that is strategically pressing on one spot causing your sensation of numbness.

Good luck

swatsurgeon
09-08-2011, 12:19
Nerves from the spine generally don't cause an issue in a "single spot" but more so in a band or area.

Probably not much to worry over. If you were truly concerned, go see your doctor, have him "map" it, see if it changes over time. If it gets bigger, I may consider asking for some imaging to ensure you don't have a tumor or growth that is causing a compression anesthesia. It may even be something as simply as a lipoma (aka: ball of fat) that is strategically pressing on one spot causing your sensation of numbness.

Good luck

Now that's advice I really like: practical, applicable and correct. You have been VERY well trained.....when you coming to work with me??!!

ss

Eagle5US
09-08-2011, 12:30
when you coming to work with me??!!

ss

Thanks, I know those words don't come on idle winds.

If there is a spot on 1 October 2014, I will have been retired for a full 24 hours and will, no doubt, be looking for employment:D

swatsurgeon
09-08-2011, 19:57
Thanks, I know those words don't come on idle winds.

If there is a spot on 1 October 2014, I will have been retired for a full 24 hours and will, no doubt, be looking for employment:D

you know how to find me....:cool:

DevilSide
09-10-2011, 00:20
Had it checked today, seems to be nothing worth worrying about (no cist, growths, scoliosis, etc etc) and I appreciate everyone's input, thanks.

wet dog
09-10-2011, 00:51
....Probably not much to worry over. It may even be something as simply as a lipoma (aka: ball of fat) that is strategically pressing on one spot causing your sensation of numbness.

Good luck

One afternoon, an extremely bored ODA decided to sit pool side and BBQ with family (wives, kids, including extended neighborhood kids and cousins).

Tm Sgt had a persisting boil on his back, (large, center mass), several years it had bothered him while he slept or did PT. We, (the team) decided to finally do something about it.

With the aid of (1) M5 bag, (2) 18Ds, and 48 empty cans of beer, we proceeded to conduct minor field surgery.

Medic one "Junior" performed the task, while Medic two "Senior" held his beer. Children where 5 deep while surrounding the picnic table as they heard Sr., give a play by play "Dr. Marcus Welby" narrative.

All went well. Incision was half moon shaped, (when skin returns to normal position, suture line would be straight). Whan ALL sub Q- puss had been removed, it took on the look of cheese spread, in fact, a small 7 year old said, "Hey look, ...cheese spread."

I had to apologize for spitting beer out my nose into the face of really nice old woman, as more people began to run away.

The kid was the Tm Sgts son, who asked, "Dad, did that hurt?"

"No, it feels better,....who has my beer?"

Kid, "Sorry dad, its empty, can I get you another one?"

Sacamuelas
09-13-2011, 07:32
Sounds like a keratin filled cyst. The cottage cheese appearance is always a tasty looking crowd pleaser, but it gives as good of a non-biopsy diagnosis as one can expect around the campfire. :D

DevilSide
09-13-2011, 20:43
One afternoon, an extremely bored ODA decided to sit pool side and BBQ with family (wives, kids, including extended neighborhood kids and cousins).

Tm Sgt had a persisting boil on his back, (large, center mass), several years it had bothered him while he slept or did PT. We, (the team) decided to finally do something about it.

With the aid of (1) M5 bag, (2) 18Ds, and 48 empty cans of beer, we proceeded to conduct minor field surgery.

Medic one "Junior" performed the task, while Medic two "Senior" held his beer. Children where 5 deep while surrounding the picnic table as they heard Sr., give a play by play "Dr. Marcus Welby" narrative.

All went well. Incision was half moon shaped, (when skin returns to normal position, suture line would be straight). Whan ALL sub Q- puss had been removed, it took on the look of cheese spread, in fact, a small 7 year old said, "Hey look, ...cheese spread."

I had to apologize for spitting beer out my nose into the face of really nice old woman, as more people began to run away.

The kid was the Tm Sgts son, who asked, "Dad, did that hurt?"

"No, it feels better,....who has my beer?"

Kid, "Sorry dad, its empty, can I get you another one?"

the old picture was better :P

LongWire
09-13-2011, 21:41
Sounds like a keratin filled cyst. The cottage cheese appearance is always a tasty looking crowd pleaser, but it gives as good of a non-biopsy diagnosis as one can expect around the campfire. :D

Might look tasty (Not), but the smell is quite unappealing!!!! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkXHSjMXO4E&feature=related

swatsurgeon
09-13-2011, 22:03
But a skilled operator knows the tactical excision plan is to stay out of the cyst and dissect around it!!! We hate the sight and smell of those. Nice job though.......

ss

wet dog
09-13-2011, 22:47
But a skilled operator knows the tactical excision plan is to stay out of the cyst and dissect around it!!! We hate the sight and smell of those. Nice job though.......

ss

Point well taken, that is probably why the Sr. was allowing the Jr., to perform the task. Besides, Junior's NCOER was riding on it. Truth be told, I made the call, I was the second most sober person at the table.

The son was right up in watching the medic cut on his dad, slowly drinking his father's beer.

dr. mabuse
09-14-2011, 22:00
Might look tasty (Not), but the smell is quite unappealing!!!! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkXHSjMXO4E&feature=related

Mmmmm. Mayo or Miracle Whip! :eek: