PDA

View Full Version : Secrets of the Top 10 Most Powerful Retailers

Richard
08-30-2011, 16:46
An interesting read - might surprise some.

Richard :munchin

Secrets of the Top 10 Most Powerful Retailers
BNet, 25 Aug 2011

This week RetailSails released its report on the top retail chains in the U.S. ranked by the industry standard of sales per square foot. One glance at the list and you’ll see that these retailers are throwing haymaker, knockout punches, with numbers that are off the charts for their categories. That they’re posting these stats over the last four quarters in a dismal economy makes it all the more impressive.

Despite the fact that these companies represent a diverse sampling of industries — from gadgets to gold to golf shirts — almost all of them have woven their success from common threads, which I’ll get to in a moment.

Here’s a look at the top 10 retailers and their sales per square foot:

1. Apple: $5,626

2. Tiffany & Co.: $2,974

3. Coach: $1,820

4. Lululemon Athletica: $1,731

5. GameStop: $1,009

6. Costco Wholesale: $998

7. Signet Jewelers: $955

8. Polo Ralph Lauren: $904

9. Whole Foods Market: $867

10. Best Buy: $831

For perspective, consider that a hot and much-admired retailer like Target has sales per square foot in the neighborhood of $290, typical of many retailers in many segments. That means that an Apple store — which might dedicate the same display space to one phone as Target does to a full rack of clothes — extracts almost 2000% more revenue from that real estate.*

So what is it that these star performers are doing to put up such extraordinary numbers? Not all of the same rules apply to every one of these companies, but all of them excel at one thing: creating “gotta have it” retail environments, products, and experiences in one or more of these ways:

- They turn “I want” into “I need“: Other than Costco selling staple groceries, not one of these companies sells anything that anyone genuinely needs. But through a combination of drool-worthy products, exceptional merchandising, buzz, and fomenting what amounts to peer pressure among their target customers (”I’ve gotta have what she has!”), these companies pull off masterful manipulations of customer psychology. A discretionary want becomes a can’t-live-without need. I might get myself into trouble here, but no woman needs another handbag. If she does, she certainly doesn’t need a $1,000 Coach python handbag. But so-and-so is carrying one… and besides, they last forever, and really, you haven’t treated yourself to a nice new bag in ages. Suddenly, you need that bag. The product and the store elicit an emotional response, and emotion trumps reason.

- They aren’t afraid of high prices: On the contrary, high prices are a key part of the formula for nearly all of these companies (Costco being the most notable of one or two exceptions, but it works its magic in other ways). More expensive suggests better (even if it’s not) and more exclusive (or elusive). A high price offers entry into a club of sorts. Anyone can buy a polo shirt for $20, but one with a horse on it, folded just-so on a fancy table, in a store that smells great? That screams status, and that’s worth $85. The $85 shirt buys a “membership” that the $20 shirt does not. Same goes for a $300 MP3 player, $100 yoga pants, or anything in an iconic, light blue box.

- They employ “strategic scarcity”: It’s hard-wired from childhood that one of the best ways to make someone want something is to tell him he can’t have it. And many of these killer companies use this weapon, either in reality by controlling production (wait in line or you might not get one), or perception (only one purse in a heavenly-lit cubicle in a sparsely-stocked boutique). Both fuel rabid desire and support high prices. Luxury items — even some as outrageously extreme as the $2 million Bugatti Veyron supercar — often have waiting lists of buyers in the worst of economic times. Most of us aren’t in the market for that kind of transportation, but the same psychology applies when the newest video game console is predicted to sell out on release day.

For sure, the high-end usually takes a hit when times are tough. But in the long run, there is always a market for the best, or what we are made to believe is the best. Me-too companies come and go, but companies synonymous with exclusivity, aspiration, and want-over-need are often the oldest and most enduring: Rolex since 1905; Louis Vuitton since 1854; Rolls Royce since 1904.

In many ways these companies and their strategies fly in the face of conventional business wisdom. They don’t fill needs or solve problems — especially the ones typically associated with a crummy economy. They don’t necessarily target the largest possible audience. With some exceptions, they don’t even try to price competitively. What they do is trigger powerful, visceral emotions: They provide the most excitement, desire, pleasure, lust, envy and happiness per square foot.

[* It will be interesting to see if anything changes post-Jobs, but Apple has a pretty colossal lead, knows the formula, and Jobs will still have a voice for the time-being, so early bets are that they'll be just fine.]

Michael Hess is founder and CEO of online retailer Skooba Design, which designs and manufactures an award-winning line of carrying cases for laptops and other applications. He also has a background in merchandising, sales, marketing, and purchasing for bricks & mortar retailers.

http://www.linkedin.com/share?viewLink=&sid=s553101268&url=http%3A%2F%2Flnkd%2Ein%2FMS4wRr&urlhash=-gIE&uid=5513614314927304704&trk=EML_nus_share-F12

Auditor
08-30-2011, 18:07
The person who told Lululemon to package customer purchases in those re-usable plastic bags with the cute slogans on them is a marketing genius.

I work at an accounting firm in downtown Seattle. It seems that the majority of the young women at the firm use these bags to carry lunch and other small items to work on a daily basis. It makes a statement they want other people to hear. They are also professionally dressed, attractive, and in good shape. I could think of no better advertising for an athletic apparel company geared toward women.

frostfire
08-30-2011, 20:52
so glad these tactics don't work on me.

- Need before want
- Substance over style
- Function before fashion

now, to get a certain prissy and bubbly, purdy lady to share the same mindset.... :boohoo

Guy
08-30-2011, 21:53
"America's prosecution of the War on Terror has identified a need for more Special Forces Operators, as they are ideally suited for this type of conflict. The ethical dilemma comes in the question of quality versus quantity and the production of Special Forces Soldiers. Special Forces are as successful as they are because of the quality of these Soldiers. What will be the success rate if we substitute quantity for quality?"

Stay safe.

Richard
08-30-2011, 21:59
"America's prosecution of the War on Terror has identified a need for more Special Forces Operators, as they are ideally suited for this type of conflict. The ethical dilemma comes in the question of quality versus quantity and the production of Special Forces Soldiers. Special Forces are as successful as they are because of the quality of these Soldiers. What will be the success rate if we substitute quantity for quality?"

Stay safe.

Oooohh...ooohhh...I know. It's the egg! Wait a sec. No...it's the chicken. Hold on...it's the egg. No..it's...damn, I hate these tricky topics. I just like my eggs fried along with my chicken. :rolleyes:

Richard :munchin

afchic
08-31-2011, 10:57
I have to admit I am a sucker for Coach purses. But I only buy them when they are on sale at the BX. :)

mark46th
08-31-2011, 13:09
I like Coach purses, too, but it is difficult to find a pair of sensible pumps in size 12EEEE to match.

Saturation
08-31-2011, 19:25
I recently read (sorry no citation) about these labels becoming 'too middle class'. As the masses purchase more of the luxury brands the uber-brands are hiding logos so only the knowing few will recognize the riches involved in the puchase.
I've certainly noticed younger and younger kids sporting the labels mentioned here.

I've not been one much for the label but the quality. Don't like providing free advertisisng! ;) Really it's being cheap in the long run- I'll drop some good money knowing I don't have to replace that item as often as a cheaper version.

cback0220
09-01-2011, 08:18
I know that Apple makes a quality product, and that is the reason they are so successful. My wife wants Lululemon clothes to work out in pretty damn bad. Costco is awesome because they just are. Best Buy is terrific as well, especially with their rewards programs.The others on this list I have very little interaction with.