PDA

View Full Version : Noriega Heading Back to Panama

Jefe
08-24-2011, 14:40
Saw a few articles today and skimmed one that states France just signed an agreement to extradite Noreiga back to Panama.

I guess since he is over 70, he is eligible for house arrest, but I don't see that in the cards for old Pineapple Face.

Spent 87-91 in Panama and it was a great time/tour.

Dusty
08-24-2011, 14:41
lol Don't tell Sammy J.!!! :D

Jefe
08-31-2011, 09:46
Read some more on this and it seems like he will be tried for the murder and torture of Hugo Spadafora, which is a well deserved fate.

Noriega had Spadafora tortured horribly with a doctor present to keep him alive to prolong the suffering.

After that, I suppose he will have a place in hell next to the TV evangelists.

greenberetTFS
08-31-2011, 11:14
This maybe hard to accept,but a very respectable christian,Dr. James Dobson personally interviewed Noriega in prison and believes he has sincerely repented his sins and accepted Jesus Christ as his Lord and Savior............... The question arises do we forgive and forget what he had done?......... We can't read his heart but GOD can to know if it's for real or not............:(:(:(

Big Teddy :munchin

The Reaper
08-31-2011, 18:01
This maybe hard to accept,but a very respectable christian,Dr. James Dobson personally interviewed Noriega in prison and believes he has sincerely repented his sins and accepted Jesus Christ as his Lord and Savior............... The question arises do we forgive and forget what he had done?......... We can't read his heart but GOD can to know if it's for real or not............:(:(:(

Big Teddy :munchin

Then let God take care of him in the afterlife. He will know His own.

TR

Jefe
09-01-2011, 08:04
Agreed. The Panamanian "police" pulled over a guy in my BN, beat him and locked him in his trunk and raped his wife which never hit the press.

I recall very well the day they pulled over a DODS school bus and held American children at gunpoint for hours.

Not to mention what he did to his own people.

At END STATE, I think its great that the Panamanian people will have the final word (afterlife excluded).

Team Sergeant
09-01-2011, 08:45
Agreed. The Panamanian "police" pulled over a guy in my BN, beat him and locked him in his trunk and raped his wife which never hit the press.

I recall very well the day they pulled over a DODS school bus and held American children at gunpoint for hours.

Not to mention what he did to his own people.

At END STATE, I think its great that the Panamanian people will have the final word (afterlife excluded).

Many of us remember that school bus incident. And also the reason why many of us went down to Panama soon afterwards.;)

Payback was delivered via the US Military.

wandering_idiot
09-01-2011, 09:41
Well, it looks like there's an opening for the Vice Presidency. Maybe he should apply:

http://prensa.com/impreso/%C2%B4partido-panamenista-pasa-oposicion%C2%B4-varela/21658

Hacksaw
09-02-2011, 10:57
It's unfortunate that he can't be substituted for one of the goats at medlab or at least remain as a permanent role player at SFARTEC as HVI.

PRB
09-02-2011, 11:05
Maybe the 'Dingbats' will meet him upon arrival

Jefe
09-16-2011, 08:20
I hear he is going to get an additional count of murder brought against him for the murder of Major Giraldi (sp) who led the 2nd coup against Noriega and had him prisoner (while we waited on a green light to stop his forces from a rescue attempt).

If I remember right it was Macho de Monte that got back from the exercise first. Noriega talked the good Major down promising to avoid bloodshed and step down and go figure murdered him.

This may well have to end up with a Just Cause reunion down there.

Kind of sad. All the places I liked so much with bohios for bars and stuff are fancy hotels now. Not hardly as much fun, but you can always drive a bit farther (or better, taxi) to get the real deal.

Next question: I doubt they have the death penalty, but am curious.

Mike792
09-23-2011, 04:42
Hopefully the Panamanians won't elect Noriega for President.:D

Jefe
09-23-2011, 14:45
I think the night he declared himself "Maximum Leader" and said that a state of war existed between Panama and the United States was the term he used.

We've all woken up wondering if we embarrassed ourselves the night after a few too many, but all I have been able to picture is a hungover Noreiga saying "I did what!!??"

Although, one of my favorite quotes is one of his:

"An inch forward is a thousand times better than a step back"

Jefe
12-12-2011, 11:45
Merry Christmas everyone. I don't think I could have asked for anything better myself!

And TMSGT, thinking of those schoolkids on the bus I watched with a semi evil feeling of contentment!

http://articles.cnn.com/2011-12-11/americas/world_americas_panama-noriega-extradition_1_general-noriega-manuel-noriega-hugo-spadafora?_s=PM:AMERICAS

Panama's ex-ruler Noriega returns home after 22 years
MANUEL NORIEGA

December 11, 2011|By the CNN Wire Staff

Police in Panama City pass next to a street vendor's stand decorated with pictures and articles of Manuel Noriega on Friday..Former Panamanian dictator Manuel Noriega arrived Sunday evening in his home country, nearly 22 years after U.S. forces forcibly removed him from office.

The 77-year-old was taken straight to El Renacer prison to serve time for crimes committed during his rule. Reporters flooded the medium-security facility in Gamboa, but the former leader was shielded from public view. Officials later confirmed that he was there.

Earlier, Noriega arrived at the Tocumen International Airport in Panama City, where security was tight.

"I think it has historic and symbolic significance," said Michael Shifter, president of the Washington D.C.-based Inter-American Dialogue, about Noriega's return.

It's a sense of closure for the Panamanian people. He clearly was a dictator for six years and presided over assassinations, disappearances and killing of opposition leaders. And so I think that it's something that was unfinished business and I think it's important for Panama to have a sense of closure," he said.

Noriega's extradition process began Sunday morning with a flight from Paris to Madrid. He was in Spanish police custody during a four-hour layover before leaving Madrid Sunday afternoon on a flight to Panama City, a spokesman for Spain's airport authority said.

Last month, a French court authorized his extradition to Panama, where officials want Noriega to face justice in the killings of Hugo Spadafora, his political opponent, and at least one other person. He was convicted in absentia.

Speaking outside of the prison complex in Gamboa, Noriega's attorney said his client deserves fair representation.

"He (Noriega) wanted to return to the country and face in this land the charges for which he was tried in absentia," attorney Julio Berrios told reporters.

"General Noriega is accused of having participated in three homicides. U.S. President George H.W. Bush invaded us and that cost 4,000 deaths. Has anybody said anything against Bush?" he said.

Noriega has been in France since 2010, after two decades in an American prison.

Authorities have strengthened security to guarantee his safety in Panama, according to Panamanian Foreign Minister Roberto Henriquez.

"We have to be ready for all the possibilities in all aspects. Noriega inspires very big emotions, and Noriega's life could very well be at risk in Panama," Henriquez said.

Interior Minister Roxana Mendez said Noriega will receive the same treatment as other inmates in the Panamanian prison.

keeper36
12-15-2011, 11:29
I did 18 months at Ft. Kobbe, CZ back when it still belonged to us (74-75). Jimmy "Peanuts" fixed that. What a SWEET tour that was!!! Best kept secret at the time.

I'd put money that the bleeding hearts in France wouldn't sign the extradition unless there was an agreement not to execute him.

Jefe
12-16-2011, 11:39
Well I was behind you, but yeah, a great unit and place/time to be there.

I heard all the Canal Zone stories and can only imagine how nice it was, cause I thought it was great even after.

Well Merry Christmas everyone.

Jefe
07-10-2012, 04:44
Funny, I found the invitation in an old footlocker, signed by Manny himself.

Now if I showed up at his prison cell with it and said "Sorry I'm Late" what he would have to say! LOL

miclo18d
07-11-2012, 13:46
Didn't get much from the Noriega azz stompin'. I still have my PDF Patch I got off a uniform. Jonny L. from 3rd Plt Cco 3/75 got the Flag off La Comandancia. The last guy to leave Rgr Batt from the squad was to get it.

I got to land at Tocumen for a gas stop in 2005 (???) Coming back from a 2/7 deployment. I got my mustard stain on the other end of the runway. That was cool to see again.

I had 1 pic from Blue Spoon behind my buddies 60mm on Rio Hato (C/2/75 got pushed all over the country for the first few days) that was on my fridge for years and it just vanished one day. :(

A signed invite from Senor Pineapple would be a great souvenir!