PDA

View Full Version : Page Errors

NousDefionsDoc
09-11-2004, 00:04
I'm having hell with the page since we changed over. It loads, but always with errors, so things don't work. Like the links button, smilies, etc. I clear cookies and history, and it works fine for a few minutes, then it gradually worsens until almost nothing works. Any ideas?

Pandora
09-11-2004, 01:38
Which page errors are you getting?

NousDefionsDoc
09-11-2004, 10:43
Doesn't say. It says "Done, with errors" or "Error on page" with a little yellow caution sign in the margin at the bottom of the page. And some of the buttons don't work.

The Reaper
09-11-2004, 10:47
The Links button is dead for me after it returns no matches for the New Posts option.

I have to exit the page to regain functionality.

TR

Ambush Master
09-11-2004, 10:57
The Links button is dead for me after it returns no matches for the New Posts option.

TR

After you get the No Matches message, have you tried selecting Who's Online or anything else from the "Drop-down" window that appears in the middle of the screen?

From NDD:
"Doesn't say. It says "Done, with errors" or "Error on page" with a little yellow caution sign in the margin at the bottom of the page. And some of the buttons don't work."

NDD, have you tried to "Refresh" your Browser to get a fresh hit on the site ??

I have had a few "Can't Connect" Error Pages, but refreshing always clears those. I'm also on a dialup, so sometimes I think the ISP just clocks out on me !!

Later
Martin

Team Sergeant
09-11-2004, 11:02
I was getting some error messages but they seem to have gone away.

This problem is above my pay grade, I'll be the first to admit all I know about computers and the internet could be placed in the head of a thimble with room to swim.

ohh DAN!

The Reaper
09-11-2004, 11:53
After you get the No Matches message, have you tried selecting Who's Online or anything else from the "Drop-down" window that appears in the middle of the screen?

Later
Martin

AM:

The button on the toolbar is locked, no options on the Links pull-down are available.

FWIW, while this new software has some definite advantages, like archiving of PMs, other aspects are not user friendly, and it is more difficult for me navigating the site now, since the pages I usually visit (New Posts and Who's Online) are buried in the sub-menus.

Just my .02, probably a minority opinion, but I miss the old set-up.

TR

Kyobanim
09-11-2004, 11:57
I think, though I may be wrong, that this board using some Java technologies. If you haven't already, I would recommend going to this link http://wwws.sun.com/software/download/technologies.html and downloading the Java software for your browser. I have it installed and don't seem to be having any of these problems. It's not a guaranteed fix but it won't hurt.

I have noticed that if a page takes to long to load some of the icons, images, etc will time out and not load at all. But this doesn't happen too often.

This is really something that Dan needs to be involved in as he can see all.
"All bow to the all powerfull Administrator!" :p

I just went to the vbulliten support site and didn't see any info about java so this is probably just a stab in the dark.

Ambush Master
09-11-2004, 13:20
AM:

The button on the toolbar is locked, no options on the Links pull-down are available.

FWIW, while this new software has some definite advantages, like archiving of PMs, other aspects are not user friendly, and it is more difficult for me navigating the site now, since the pages I usually visit (New Posts and Who's Online) are buried in the sub-menus.

Just my .02, probably a minority opinion, but I miss the old set-up.

TR

Sorry about the confusion TR, but I didn't mean the "Links" from the PS.com Toolbar, I meant the "Forum Jump" window that appears below the "Sorry" message. There select "Who's on line" or "Forum home" to get out of that screen.

Hope that clears it up.

Martin

Pandora
09-11-2004, 13:36
Kyobanim may be right on the Java theory for this forum.

Additionally, it could be active x, vb or browser security setting errors. If your security setting is set to 'high' this will often result in the yellow caution, (which may give you more specific information if you click on it).

A couple of things to check if you are on IE 6:
IE | Tools | Options | Security | Internet | click custom level ... flag the follwoing settings "on"
Active X Controls - enable
Initialize Active X scripts - enable
Run Active X - enable
Microsoft VM | Java - medium safety
Misc | Access data across domains - Prompt
Allow meta refresh - enable
Display mixed content - prompt
Active Scripting - enable
Scripting Java - enable

That is a start. After changing settings, clear history (can keep cookies), close all browser windows, then test results in a new browser window.

There can also be other triggers to cause the errors, i.e. certain pop-up blocker settings.

Dan
09-11-2004, 17:26
Keep in mind what you perceive as a problem may actually be the way that this forum is now coded/setup.

If your using a MAC then there are known errors with MAC's and older browsers. Most MAC problems were fixed by either using a Mozilla browser or upgrading to a newer browser version.

If your using a computer that has limited memory then you'll 99% ofthe time be using an older browser version. Go upgrade in come into the 21st century :)

We need to know a few things that will help us troubleshoot, if your having problems...i.e.

Browser type and version: Opera 0.9.2
JavaScript installed: yes
Firewall: yes, but allowing JavaScript for these forums.

These forums do not use Active X, but in this new build they did use JavaScript(i.e the pulldown menus). Keep in mind not all OS's have JavaScript installed...remember the whole Sun vs. Microsoft court battles? Microsoft intentionally left off a JavaScript install in the early XP OS's.

If your getting page errors, then give a hand and let us know exactly what those page errors are. Most users are not experiencing page errors with this build unless...

- you don't have JavaScript installed (go get it like Kyobanim suggested if you don't already)
- do not have your browser up to date (and with numerous hot fixes if your using Microsoft's Internet Explorer)
- if you are using a software firewall that blocks JavaScript for you
- Your browser security settings are creating the errors (go do it like Pandora suggested)
- etc.

Let me now try to answer some of your questions even thought I don't know the specifics and details from above that would help us in determining your cause of errors.

I'm having hell with the page since we changed over. It loads, but always with errors, so things don't work. Like the links button, smilies, etc. I clear cookies and history, and it works fine for a few minutes, then it gradually worsens until almost nothing works. Any ideas?

This sounds like more of a browser that that hasn't been patched or an actual memory problem with the OS/Hardware.

Doesn't say. It says "Done, with errors" or "Error on page" with a little yellow caution sign in the margin at the bottom of the page. And some of the buttons don't work.

Try double clicking on the yellow caution sign and tell us what it says then.

It's like that for everyone...not so much a problem as it is a function left out for that page.
Click on the Home link and browse to where you want or like Ambush Master said use the drop down menu on that page.

Hope this helps...or if not then let us know more info so we can pin-point the problems. I've been working a lot latelys, but will subscribe to check this forum more. I'm about to run out to a candlelight service in remembrance of those we lost in the 9-11 attacks and the war on terrorism, but will be back online late tonight.

Kyobanim
09-11-2004, 21:20
For those of you running XP I would suggest installing service pack 2. It should come through just by running the windows update in the internet explorer. If you can't get it to run let me know and I'll post it to a site you can download from.

I get the missing buttons and smilies sometimes but I think that's got more to do with the 100mph tape Brighthouse used to fix the cable out back rather than the board. :D

All things considered, this is a good update as it's more controllable from all standpoints. Just be thankfull this board wasn't written by microsoft. Then it'd be updated every month! :lifter

gk404
09-12-2004, 11:59
I used to have inconsistant issues with graphics on this site and others with Internet Explorer. I have since switched to the Firefox browser and have had no problems at all.