PDA

View Full Version : Wounded warrior resources

zoolander6
08-14-2011, 17:42
It was recommended by a fellow member that I post these resources in the approriate thread that way everyone can benifit with the information available.

If you are/were or know of a wounded warrior, the below links are some of the organizations I came across through personal expereince. If there is anything you would for me to expound on , please feel free to ask. The road to recovery can be a long and sometimes pestimestic route. But I encourge all to keep your head held high and to NEVER QUIT. The people that are involved in these organizations are there to help you, through any means possible. Good luck with your rehab and I wish you the best!

http://divers4heroes.org/default.aspx
*Divers for Heros is a non-profit company ran by an ex-SF guy and his wife. There local to FL. They help disabled/amputess experience diving and even get them dive certified! Great people and a great opportunity. And the dive trips are awsome!

http://www.gallantfew.org/
*Galantfew is a job networking organization. Owner is prior Ranger.

http://www.socom.mil/Care%20Coalition/Default.aspx
*If your a SOF wounded warrior you know the Care Coalition, dont be a stranger to ask your advocate about anything (job, or recreation opportunities)

http://www.athletesperformance.com/p...ical/military/
*API is an awsome sport facility with muliple locations throughout the US. They mostly cater to profrossinal atheletes and prepare football players for the combine etc. The location in Gulf Breeze, FL has a military liason that is an ex Delta medic who is a stand up guy and can anwser any question you may have. SOCOM has been funding wounded warriors to go through their military rehab program. And they also have a SOF military program that you can learn a wealth of knowledge to bring back to your team.

*VA hospital;
Contact your OEF/OIF clinic and ask about their adaptive sports program. They have all kinds of adpative sports for wounded vets all accross the country. And everything is funded by the VA, meaning you DONT pay to play.

*Remember to fill out your;
TSGLI form
SSA disability forms ( yes you can pull SS while on active duty orders)

*If your a motorsport fan or you just like fast cars, AND if your local to FL, one of the ladies that works for the Care Coalition is a Porsche Club of America Driving instructor (awsome gal). They were offering free right seat rides in Track prepped Porsches at Sebring International raceway. ( They let me bring my car out for a full day for FREE! this normaly cost $300-400 a day!) PM for contact info if interested

*TRX
http://www.trxtraining.com/
Go online and find a TRX class friendly gym near you. Or find a physical therapist that uses TRX. These are great for exercises that you need assistance with. Its a great tool for the de-conditioned athelete or in our case, someone who has a physical disability. Skeptism is normal, but please give it a try. I liked it so much, I became certified as a TRX instructor to gain better knowledge of the system.

*NASM (National Academy of Sports Medicene)
If your into fitness, which most of us are, consider taking the NASM personal trainer class, even if you dont plan on becomming one. WHY? The VA will reimburse you, and I believe that knowing the body better, and how it works you can improve progress during physical therapy.Plus if your not a 18D you can actually understand the doctor lingo...lol

zoolander6
08-14-2011, 17:48
This was posted by LeapingGnome about the Care Coalition; Great write up;

http://www.socom.mil/Care%20Coalition/Default.aspx

1 (877) 672-3039

FORT BRAGG, N.C. - Sgt. 1st Class Mike Fairfax never planned on being injured in battle. But on a fateful day in the summer of 2005, an IED blast would ultimately leave him an above-the-knee amputee.*

He spent months in rehabilitation and endured a number of surgeries following his injury, yet he would return to duty at his unit a year later.*

During his recovery process, however, he realized he would have a hard time getting around once he was home.*

That is because his house wasn't built for an amputee, or a wheelchair, and he needed a home that could better accommodate his condition.*

So an organization stepped-up to help find funding for the roughly $25,000 it would cost to have ramps installed, doorways and hallways widened and a shower expanded at the Fairfax household.*

That organization was The United States Special Operations Command 'Care Coalition.'*

Headquartered at MacDill Air Force Base, Fla., the Care Coalition began in 2005 and is designed specifically to advocate for and help wounded, ill or injured United States Special Operation Forces' servicemembers and their families.*

"What the Care Coalition did for me meant a lot," said Fairfax, a Special Forces operations and intelligence Soldier with Company B, 1st Battalion, 3rd Special Forces Group (Airborne). "The renovations offer a better quality of life for me and my family."*

The Care Coalition supports SOF members, and support-servicemembers attached to SOF units, from every branch of service.*

Sgt. Maj. Daniel K. Thompson, senior liaison for the Care Coalition, said the organization was originally set up to help those wounded in war, but over time they realized there were those who needed help after succumbing to injuries outside the battlefield.*

"There were guys hurt in training accidents, getting sick downrange such as having an appendicitis or cancer, and we needed to take care of them too," said Thompson, a 32-year veteran and former Army Special Forces medic.*

Providing for and looking out for those wounded, ill or injured servicemembers are the coalition's liaisons and advocates.

Liaisons are spread out across the country at specific medical facilities that handle war injured and at military installations with special operations forces.*

"The liaisons are hands-on with the servicemembers; they take care of the wounded as inpatients and as outpatients," Thompson said.*

Most liaisons are military members - some being formerly wounded.*

Advocates step in once the wounded, ill or injured servicemember is ready to transfer back to duty.*

"The advocates stay in contact with the servicemember and let them know when benefits change and what benefits are available to help out the family," Thompson said. "It's a lifelong program."*

Fairfax can attest to the longevity of the program. He said he still gets contacted and updated regularly. Several Care Coalition members know him by first name, including Thompson, who works from Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington.*

"They don't treat you like a number," Fairfax said. "They take it personally. You have an advocate by your side and it gives you peace of mind."*

A more in-depth side to the advocacy portion is the Care Coalition Recovery Program, which is designed for the severely wounded and injured.*

The program works in three facets, Thompson said: mentorship, wellness and reintegration.*

In the area of mentorship, a severely injured servicemember will be linked up with a mentor that may have already gone through a similar injury.*

"We found that it is easier for that newly wounded guy to relate to somebody that has been through it," Thompson said.

The wellness portion involves getting the servicemember moving again.*

Scuba-diving and sky-diving are some activities which Thompson said the coalition tries to get injured servicemembers involved.*

Reintegration helps the servicemember get back into society. Thompson said that entails some of the following:*

- Advocates assist the sevicemember still wanting to serve, whether that is on active duty or reserve. "Unit's are very willing to take these guys back," Thompson said.*

- Home modifications and repairs.*

- Coordination with the Veteran's Administration, military and non-military organizations for assistance.*

- Assisting family members.*

These benefits and more are seen at all levels: from the injured and their family, to the Care Coalition Director whom Thompson said spends time in Washington advocating for rights and hoping to effect policy change, to the leaders of the wounded, ill or injured servicemembers.*

"The work of the Care Coalition gives us as leaders a phenomenal feeling," said Lt. Col. Christopher N. Riga, commander, 1st Bn., 3rd SFG. "We know that if something happens to our guys, they will give them the utmost care and respect."*

Riga learned about the group while working at the United States Army Special Operations Command. Watching the Care Coalition in action while at USASOC has helped him better utilize the organization at his battalion, he said.*

"Whenever something happens to one of our own, I call the Care Coalition and within an hour I will get a return phone call with them telling how they can help our Soldiers or family members," Riga said. "I just can't say enough good things about the work they do."*

Some of the areas in which the Care Coalition has representatives include the following: Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington; Brook Army Medical Center, San Antonio; Naval Base Coronado, San Diego; Landstuhl Regional Medical Center, Germany; Fort Bragg, N.C.; Tampa, Fla.; and soon to have representatives at Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Wash.*

zoolander6
08-14-2011, 17:51
Guys,

If you have anything to add please do so. Im digging for more helpful info as well. Our guys will def need alot of job/networking contacts.

zoolander6
08-14-2011, 17:57
http://www.beachhomesforthebrave.com/

You need to be an OEF/OIF veteren to be qualified for this, THATS IT!

There are a group of beach house owners in FL who teamed up with this organization to offer their houses to vets free of charge. The rentals are fully furnished. If you plan on visiting FL or if you are local you could pull off a nice money saving vacation. NOTE: holdays and certain other times are excluded).

zoolander6
08-14-2011, 18:19
If you are seperating or are National Guard and would like to stay in the Tactical Business, below are some instructor positions available that DONT require a PT test.

The following companies need DoS approved instructors to support their WPPS contract;

O'Gara (OCONUS
Triple Canopy (CONUS)
SOC (CONUS)
Global (CONUS)

Their mostly looking for someone with a firearms instructing background. Once you qualify and pass thier BFFOC course you can apply to for more topics to instruct based on your experience. I have contacts in all of the above companies if someone is interested. Im not an amputee, but I did have to provide a medical statement that im able to perform minimum duties as a BFFOC instructor, so yes it is doable and they will work with. Must companies recognize what you can bring to the table as far as experience goes.

Badger52
08-15-2011, 09:57
http://www.beachhomesforthebrave.com/

You need to be an OEF/OIF veteren to be qualified for this, THATS IT!

There are a group of beach house owners in FL who teamed up with this organization to offer their houses to vets free of charge. The rentals are fully furnished. If you plan on visiting FL or if you are local you could pull off a nice money saving vacation. NOTE: holdays and certain other times are excluded).Thank you for that. I have passed to daughter who, frankly, could use a bit of a breather after 5 full OEF tours. Such a place might be a nice break for her from Drum at right time of year when she gets back again, if it can be sync'd up.