PDA

View Full Version : SF Pizza?

echoes
09-09-2004, 21:04
Greetings from the stix...as I am listening to some old Miles Davis this evening...I must ask, what is The SF Pizza? Tomato based sauce...or perhaps a nice pesto? Peperonni, sausage, creme cheese? Anyone? I am very curious. I just hope that curiosity does not kill this cat. :)

So, if anyone has any opinions?

Holly

The Reaper
09-10-2004, 05:23
For me, usually pepperoni, or sausage, occasionally mushrooms.

I do like a barbecued chicken topping at one local pizzeria.

My all time favorite is a Portuguese Sausage and pineapple from a little place called Magoo's in Hawaii. Pizza heaven!

TR

brownapple
09-10-2004, 05:53
I don't know about SF Pizza, but as a NYer, my idea of pizza is a tasty tomato sauce on a good crust with lots of cheese and nothing else!

Air.177
09-10-2004, 16:22
I am surprised we haven't seen"Rattlesnake, Cockroach and Ground Glass on a Stale Tortilla W/ Lots of Hot Sauce " yet. LOL :munchin

The Reaper
09-10-2004, 18:33
I am surprised we haven't seen"Rattlesnake, Cockroach and Ground Glass on a Stale Tortilla W/ Lots of Hot Sauce " yet. LOL :munchin

AM has not yet responded. :D

TR

SP5IC
09-10-2004, 18:41
As a former NYer, garlic pizza with a side of roasted peppers...Anthony's...not on Reutgers Street. Forty hot wings on the side, 'specially from Cavallo's. Life was good then.

Marco

Sdiver
09-10-2004, 18:48
I don't know about SF Pizza, but as a NYer, my idea of pizza is a tasty tomato sauce on a good crust with lots of cheese and nothing else!

Sir....are we going to re-hash this OLD debate again???

Holly...there's only ONE type of pizza in this world....and that's CHICAGO STYLE !!!!

All the others are just cardboard with watery Heinz Katchup used as a so-called sauce. :rolleyes: :D

brewmonkey
09-11-2004, 07:22

Holly...there's only ONE type of pizza in this world....and that's CHICAGO STYLE !!!!

All the others are just cardboard with watery Heinz Katchup used as a so-called sauce. :rolleyes: :D

Watch thy tounge else lose it!!! :D:D

As a former NY'er I too agree with the sauce and cheese and nothing else.

echoes
09-12-2004, 16:27
For me, usually pepperoni, or sausage, occasionally mushrooms.

I do like a barbecued chicken topping at one local pizzeria.

My all time favorite is a Portuguese Sausage and pineapple from a little place called Magoo's in Hawaii. Pizza heaven!

TR

Very interesting Sir! I amlate as usual to respond, but I was just curious what was the best? :) I am partial to paper thin crust with olive oil, mozzerella, and perhaps a toping. And always with a side of ranch dressing! It does wonders for pizza IMHO.

They all sound great though...thank you all for replying. :munchin

Holly

Eagle5US
09-12-2004, 17:05
a couple years back on Soi Zero...after about "a whole bunch" of Carlsbergs"...he ordered us up a pie from a local Thai place...it was right tasty!!!
Cheese, cheese, and I think cheese. Boy it was yummy...

Eagle

greenberetTFS
08-19-2008, 13:29

Sdiver,

Your absolutely right....And the best of the best is "Home Run Inn" pizza on the SW side.....I havn't been back home for many years now,but when I lived there it was always the place to go......:D

Pete
08-19-2008, 13:51
All pies are good - except ones with those little salty fish. Darn critters out taste everything else.

Order double the amount you need. Leftover pizza is kept in the box and placed in the cool oven for overnight. In our house leftover pizza is gone by around 0600. Easy to munch on while checking up on PS.com. Dogs love the crust - any crust - they don't care.

Veggie pizza is not too good leftover. Best are ones with lots of various meats.

echoes
08-19-2008, 15:06

All the others are just cardboard with watery Heinz Katchup used as a so-called sauce.

Oh My Goodness!:eek:

Well, was just curious if anyone's tastes have changed in the last 5 years?:o

After all, one true measure of a man is his choice in pizza.:D
(kidding, of course)

Holly

SF_BHT
08-19-2008, 15:22
Well down here I have a limited list of possable Pizza joints. I would say here in theis country Papa Johns is the Best. Tueadays are 2 for one Sole (.40 cents). Best local one is Anticas done in a brick oven........... Anything with those damn fish on them.......All the Meat's is the best....

adal
08-19-2008, 15:35
I do homemade 8" pizzas with homemade wholewheat dough. Then we give folks (usually it's a big party thing) a wide varity of toppings, pesto (wifes creation), sausage, cheese (all type, feta, goat, parm, cheddar), oil, red sauce, and all the usual toppings. Then cook it on the grill over charcoal. It makes a very nice personalized pizza. I can do the dough thick or thin depending on which side of hte country your from.
One of my favs is thick crust, light red sauce, saus and fresh Hatch Green chilis and buried in cheese.
Since it's made by me, it's an SF Pizza.:D

JJ_BPK
08-19-2008, 15:56
I like it thin and crusty, light on sauce, extra cheese,, any combo of toppings or none at all.

OR the one on the menu called THE GARBAGE PIZZA,, w/Jalopenoes...

NO FISH WITH FUR

MVS2
08-19-2008, 19:41
New York, NY

-E. 86th St. and 3rd Ave. The Bomb!

-Homemade traditional Italian with real mozarella, slices of prosciutto, and fried sliced potatoes.

Gypsy
08-19-2008, 19:50
Sdiver,

Your absolutely right....And the best of the best is "Home Run Inn" pizza on the SW side.....I havn't been back home for many years now,but when I lived there it was always the place to go......:D

Still around, they have a few locations and you can even buy them frozen at the grocery store now.

Ever go to Salerno's, formerly in Berwyn and now in Oak Park? That was our family's favorite. Of all the gazillions of pizzas I've tried I still love it best.

Richard
08-19-2008, 20:15
SF pizza? For those of us who consider ourselves to be "Prefix 3" qualified, that would be thick crust with double cheese, anchovies, and corn silk. :D

If anyone QPs need a translation, PM me. Here's a clue: "No sky too high, no sea too deep, no **** too tough." :lifter

Richard :munchin

Razor
08-20-2008, 11:13
Um Richard, could we go with NO cheese for that one, please? :eek:

Slantwire
08-20-2008, 14:28
Um Richard, could we go with NO cheese for that one, please? :eek:

I'll pass on the marinara sauce, too.

VVVV
08-20-2008, 15:35
SF Pizza!

Situation: The Commo Course
Year: 1967
Time: Midday Sunday
Delivery Method: Catering Truck (Tony's)
Accoutrements: Pepsi, BEER and Hoagies
Rating: Five Stars

Comment: We hid at the sound of a vehicle approaching on the trail... We couldn't believe our eyes when the stainless steel truck appeared! After eating C-Rats for a week, cardboard and ketchup would taste good, especially with an ice cold beer or Pepsi. Cranking the old G43 didn't seem so bad after that.:D Hats off to SFTG!

greenberetTFS
08-20-2008, 16:42
Still around, they have a few locations and you can even buy them frozen at the grocery store now.

Ever go to Salerno's, formerly in Berwyn and now in Oak Park? That was our family's favorite. Of all the gazillions of pizzas I've tried I still love it best.

Gypsy,:)

I'm an old man whose memory is not what it once was,however I don't remember a Salerno's....How long ago where they in Berwyn and where? :munchin

GB TFS :D

greenberetTFS
08-20-2008, 16:49
SF pizza? For those of us who consider ourselves to be "Prefix 3" qualified, that would be thick crust with double cheese, anchovies, and corn silk. :D

If anyone QPs need a translation, PM me. Here's a clue: "No sky too high, no sea too deep, no **** too tough." :lifter

Richard,

The only thing I would add is "extra" anchovies....yum.yum. :D

GB TFS

Gypsy
08-20-2008, 18:52
Gypsy,:)

I'm an old man whose memory is not what it once was,however I don't remember a Salerno's....How long ago where they in Berwyn and where? :munchin

GB TFS :D

They used to be on 16th Street in Berwyn IIRC, they were there the whole time I grew up... I turned 50 this year.

Richard
08-20-2008, 21:57
Richard,

The only thing I would add is "extra" anchovies....yum.yum. :D

GB TFS

I'm with you...the "fishier smelling" the better! ;)

echoes
08-26-2008, 17:10
Respectfully speaking...we just enjoyed a great pie from Paradise Pete's, here in Rochester.
Main topping? GREEN olives, and GREEN peppers, and then some meat and cheese...(Perfect for those guys called GREEN Berets!):lifter:)
It was wonderful, and homemade, so I would reccomend it.

Holly;)

2018commo
08-26-2008, 20:09
Made with Meat, Red (no chicken please): Smoked Brisket, Smoked Sausage, Bacon, Pulled Pork, butt or shoulder. Bait Pizza: fish, salted, unsalted anchovies, squid, clams, oysters, mussels.
Best bait pizza was outside the main gate and across the bridge in Pisa. Was definitely worth dodging the falling pine-cones, big as pineapples!

Although eating a contraband pizza in front of Officer Candidates watching in the leaning rest was fun. :lifter

doctorrich
10-26-2008, 07:02
Bacon cheeseburger pizza. I wanted to hate it, but when you add cheddar to the mix it's great. Now I'm gonna get blasted by the New Yorkers AND the windy city folks.:rolleyes:

VVVV
12-05-2008, 15:56
Bacon cheeseburger pizza. I wanted to hate it, but when you add cheddar to the mix it's great. Now I'm gonna get blasted by the New Yorkers AND the windy city folks.:rolleyes:

You should be banned from PS for that.;)

Gypsy
12-05-2008, 19:08
Bacon cheeseburger pizza. I wanted to hate it, but when you add cheddar to the mix it's great.

What in the hell is wrong with you? :D

Not SF and didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night either, but it's a cheese and sausage pie for me. That's it.

Unless I'm in the mood for a veggie pizza. :rolleyes:

Bill Harsey
12-05-2008, 19:50
Unless I'm in the mood for a veggie pizza. :rolleyes:

With tofu?

VVVV
12-05-2008, 21:11
No tofu, but how about a Big Fat Ugly sandwich?

http://www.vimeo.com/392591?pg=embed&sec=392591

Boomer Sooner!

Gypsy
12-05-2008, 21:35
With tofu?

And a Coors Light. :p

I think I shall have to award you crossthread points, Mr. H! :D

Gypsy
12-05-2008, 21:38
No tofu, but how about a Big Fat Ugly sandwich?

A six pound sandwich...now there's a heart attack waiting to happen. :eek:

nmap
12-05-2008, 22:13
Wow. Now that's a sandwich.

My favorite pizza has always been:

Extra cheese
Italian sausage
Hamburger
Mushrooms

Clearly, I fall far short of being a true culinary adventurer!

mark46th
01-11-2009, 20:05
If you are ever back at Bragg, stay away from the Shakey's Bunch 'o' Lunch... Myself and two other QP's were told to leave and never return because we had just returned from a 2 week field exercise and ate EVERYTHING they put out during the buffet. I mean everything- Pizza, chicken Mojo Potatoes... None of the civilians stood a chance. Hey- we were hungry. This was in 1971 and we still haven't forgiven Shakey's...

AngelsSix
01-16-2009, 17:37
NY style pizza. Can be had here in my AO at Vito's.

I would say that fruit on pizza is a sacrilege, but tomatoes are considered a fruit. God knows why, I certainly would not want to eat a tomato all by itself. So pineapple is out of the question. The only time I ate pineapple as a child was on top of a ham.

Meat, veggies and cheese, on a thin crust. Period.

ZonieDiver
01-16-2009, 17:51
NY style pizza. Can be had here in my AO at Vito's.

I would say that fruit on pizza is a sacrilege, but tomatoes are considered a fruit. God knows why, I certainly would not want to eat a tomato all by itself. So pineapple is out of the question. The only time I ate pineapple as a child was on top of a ham.

Meat, veggies and cheese, on a thin crust. Period.

When they were young, my daughters loved a pizza with ham and pineapple. They shared a small! However, as to tomatoes - when I was young, I'd have a red "burn" area below my lower lip all summer from eating tomatoes - with just a little salt - as you would an apple. Unfortunately, they don't make tomatoes the way they used to - and they can be a pain to grow yourself!

mojaveman
05-18-2009, 19:17
Here in Socal I enjoy pizza Mexican style.

Hamburger
Cheese
Jalapenos
Onions
Green Peppers
Tomatoes
Olives

Oh yeah, if you can find a pizza place that uses a wood burning oven it's always better.

Fiercely Loyal
05-18-2009, 19:39
If any QP's are in Anchorage check out The Mooses Tooth. Excellent unique pizza's and Alaskan brewed frosty beverages of the alcoholic nature. FIVE STARS!!! Easy to find also (local populous will direct you with a smile).

hunteran
06-02-2009, 00:14
I'm not SF in any way (far from it) but my favorite pizza in the world is as follows:

Thin NY style crust
Tomato sauce
Mozzarella Cheese
Olives
Garlic
Artichoke hearts

Go ahead and laugh, but it is freaken delicious! One of my neighbors used to work for a really good NY style pizza joint (if you're ever in Chico CA and have a hankering for a good pie, look no further than Celestino's) and when he had closing shift he would always bring back my roommates and I a ton of pizza. Most of the time it was only the above kind of pizza. The greatest thing was that none of my roommates liked it so I had it all to myself!:lifter The only downside is it gave me really bad gas, but its a small price to pay and I don't mind my own brand. :D

echoes
08-22-2010, 13:30
It has been decided, finally!!!:D
...By an SF man currently in my apartment, and it is a Sausage, Pepperoni, Green onion & Green pepper pie...with hand tossed crust. Yum!:lifter

Holly---> hehehe Damn, how much can "ya'll" eat???:p

greenberetTFS
08-22-2010, 15:13
Anchovy(double) with extra cheese,thin crust and a lot of beer,a very lot of Fosters beer...............;):D;)

Big Teddy :munchin

ZonieDiver
08-22-2010, 15:35
SF Pizza!

Situation: The Commo Course
Year: 1967
Time: Midday Sunday
Delivery Method: Catering Truck (Tony's)
Accoutrements: Pepsi, BEER and Hoagies
Rating: Five Stars

Comment: We hid at the sound of a vehicle approaching on the trail... We couldn't believe our eyes when the stainless steel truck appeared! After eating C-Rats for a week, cardboard and ketchup would taste good, especially with an ice cold beer or Pepsi. Cranking the old G43 didn't seem so bad after that.:D Hats off to SFTG!

I'm not sure how I missed this, but WCH is on target. Nothing tasted better than a Tony's pizza with pepperoni (and extra grease!) from one of the 'roach coaches' at Bragg!

I also figured that roach coach operatorcould always be my 'retirement' or 'after duty hours' job! :D

lksteve
08-23-2010, 19:09
I'm allergic to tomatoes, so I need a pizza with a garlic sauce...a restaurant here in Fort Collins (The Rustic Oven) has a pizza called the Saltimbocca (sp), basically white sauce, chicken, onions, mushroom and green peppers...if I'm making it myself, it's a garlic sauce with onions, peppers (red, green, yellow, orange), garlic seasoning, Black Forest Ham and Asiago cheese...I use Asiago cheese in a lot of my cooking...comes from spending winters in that region of Italy for ski and winter warfare training, I guess...

Sdiver
08-23-2010, 19:48
I'm allergic to tomatoes, so I need a pizza with a garlic sauce...a restaurant here in Fort Collins (The Rustic Oven) has a pizza called the Saltimbocca (sp), basically white sauce, chicken, onions, mushroom and green peppers...if I'm making it myself, it's a garlic sauce with onions, peppers (red, green, yellow, orange), garlic seasoning, Black Forest Ham and Asiago cheese...I use Asiago cheese in a lot of my cooking...comes from spending winters in that region of Italy for ski and winter warfare training, I guess...

Steve,
You ever been to Beaujo's pizza??

http://www.beaujos.com/

Living here as long as I have, I've never heard of it, until one day on the ambulance, my partner was talking about it. He said the best one to go to is up in Idaho Springs. Then low and behold, later that night, on an episode of Man vs Food, Adam is at a Beaujos in the PRB, digging into one of their Mountain Pie's.

Being from Chicago, of course I only know of ONE type of pizza, but I'm thinking, I may just have to scoot up the hill and give it a try.

lksteve
08-23-2010, 20:12
Steve,
You ever been to Beaujo's pizza??Yup...the GF doesn't like it, so not going there is part of our austerity program...

Sdiver
08-23-2010, 20:25
Yup...the GF doesn't like it, so not going there is part of our austerity program...

Sorry to hear that.

Good luck with your program. :munchin

craigepo
08-23-2010, 20:41
There is one real pizza. It is found in Napoli, Italy. The tomatos there taste different(ash in the soil from the eruption of Mount Vesuvius). Toppings are used much more sparingly. Every part of the pizza(topping, sauce, crust) is a masterpiece. A touch of sea salt made just down the beach. Wine made from a winery right up the hill.

Beautiful Italian girl as a server.

Every other pizza is an afterthought.

lksteve
08-23-2010, 20:45
Good luck with your program. She prefers Austins (across the street) and the Rustic Oven...some austerity program...

And regarding pizza in Naples, what I found during my time with the 509th in Italy (and later in Alpini school), is that Americans pervert Italian cuisine...hell, most pasta I ate in Italy had a dab of tomato sauce, it wasn't drenched in it the way it is served here...

Sdiver
08-23-2010, 20:49
She prefers Austins (across the street) and the Rustic Oven...some austerity program...

Well, there are rules, and then there are "rules". :D

Gypsy
08-24-2010, 18:09
I'm allergic to tomatoes, so I need a pizza with a garlic sauce...

That sucks. Have you tried using pesto sauce? Yum!

lksteve
08-24-2010, 18:24
That sucks. Have you tried using pesto sauce? Yum!I haven't mastered making pesto sauce yet...I do try it when I'm out on the town...

akv
08-24-2010, 19:02
Napoli I have to try, I always though Gino's East was the pinnacle?

Razor
08-25-2010, 13:05
BeauJo's is very good, filling pizza (just could never bring myself to slather honey on the crust, though). We used to have two in the Springs, but they shut down several years ago, despite appearing continuously busy. There used to be one just north of C-470, but that closed, too. Now our BeauJo's experiences occur only during trips past Idaho Springs (also a good time to stop by and make a contribution to Tommyknocker's bottom line).

MVP
08-25-2010, 14:47
I'm a little surprised no one has mentioned Amalfi's on Nockhergasse in Bad Tölz. They had a pizza diavolo that has got to be the best (although without meat). A nice italian style crust, bit of sauce, cheese, yellow pepperoni's and lots of garlic.

MVP

greenberetTFS
08-25-2010, 16:39
There is one real pizza. It is found in Napoli, Italy. The tomatos there taste different(ash in the soil from the eruption of Mount Vesuvius). Toppings are used much more sparingly. Every part of the pizza(topping, sauce, crust) is a masterpiece. A touch of sea salt made just down the beach. Wine made from a winery right up the hill.

Beautiful Italian girl as a server.

Every other pizza is an afterthought.

Oh man that sounds really great!.........Do they deliver? ;)

PSM
08-25-2010, 17:45
She prefers Austins

Which one? My son lives just north of Warren Lake near the Harmony one.

Pat

Gypsy
08-25-2010, 18:07
I haven't mastered making pesto sauce yet...I do try it when I'm out on the town...

Need a recipe? :D If you have a Trader Joe's near you they have a pretty good one.

Napoli I have to try, I always though Gino's East was the pinnacle?

Gino's East is not, IMO, the pinnacle...but it is very good. Salerno's formerly of Berwyn and now in Oak Park...now that is a pie!

lksteve
08-25-2010, 18:30
Need a recipe? If you have a Trader Joe's near you they have a pretty good one. 453.97 miles to the one in Sante Fe...hmmm....if I could get the GF away for the weekend....

Gypsy
08-26-2010, 21:22
453.97 miles to the one in Sante Fe...hmmm....if I could get the GF away for the weekend....

Road trip! :D

Mine's about 1.5 miles away, if you'd like mail.

lksteve
08-26-2010, 21:27
Mine's about 1.5 miles away, if you'd like mail.
I think I'll just learn how to make it...:D

Gypsy
08-28-2010, 17:06
I think I'll just learn how to make it...:D

:D

A good trick is to freeze it in ice cube trays, pop out what you want when you want it. I cover the trays with foil.

3 cloves garlic peeled
2 cups fresh basil leaves (washed, stems removed)
3 tablespoons pine nuts
dash salt and pepper
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

If you're ambitious get yourself a mortar and pestle. :lifter Add the basil, garlic, salt, pepper and pine nuts to the mortar and grind it all into a paste. Then grind in the cheese. Wisk in the oil until you have the desired consistency.

For a food processor or a blender throw in your garlic and mince, add the basil, pine nuts, salt and pepper. While the processor is running, slowly drizzle in olive oil until all the ingredients are mixed/pureed. Add Parmesan cheese and blend a bit more. If the pesto is too thick, add a little water.

greenberetTFS
08-29-2010, 06:26
A good trick is to freeze it in ice cube trays, pop out what you want when you want it. I cover the trays with foil.

3 cloves garlic peeled
2 cups fresh basil leaves (washed, stems removed)
3 tablespoons pine nuts
dash salt and pepper
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

If you're ambitious get yourself a mortar and pestle. :lifter Add the basil, garlic, salt, pepper and pine nuts to the mortar and grind it all into a paste. Then grind in the cheese. Wisk in the oil until you have the desired consistency.

For a food processor or a blender throw in your garlic and mince, add the basil, pine nuts, salt and pepper. While the processor is running, slowly drizzle in olive oil until all the ingredients are mixed/pureed. Add Parmesan cheese and blend a bit more. If the pesto is too thick, add a little water.
Gypsy,

Really sounds good............:D I've got a blender,will give it a shot,I'll let you know how it turned out.................;)

Gypsy
08-29-2010, 10:47
Gypsy,

Really sounds good............:D I've got a blender,will give it a shot,I'll let you know how it turned out.................;)

Good luck Big Teddy! It's just a standard recipe so you should have an easy time of it. I like to use this on sammiches too!