PDA

View Full Version : MoveOn.org's AWB tv ad

Seth
09-09-2004, 17:00
MoveOn.Org is going to run a 30 second TV ad, blaming President Bush for "re-legalization of "Deadly assualt weapons". The ad will air in Pittsburgh, Cleveland, and Washinton, D.C. starting Friday.

Press Release:

WASHINGTON, Sept. 9 /U.S. Newswire/ - A new 30-second television
spot produced for MoveOn PAC says President Bush will be responsible
for the re-legalization in the U.S. of deadly assault weapons feared
by police and favored by terrorists. The ban on these weapons ends
next week.

IMAGE OF AN ASSAULT WEAPON SUPERED OVER WHITE BACKGROUND.
SOUND FX: ASSAULT WEAPONS FIRING. IMAGES OF VARIOUS ASSAULT WEAPONS
FLASH RAPIDLY ON THE SCREEN TO MATCH THE SOUND FX.
AUDIO

ANNOUNCER (VO): This is an assault weapon. It can fire up to 300
rounds a minute. It's the weapon most feared by our police. In the
hands of terrorists it could kill hundreds. That's why they're
illegal.
VIDEO
THE IMAGE OF THE WEAPON BEGINS TO SHRINK SMALLER AND A RED CIRCLE
SURROUNDS THE WEAPON WITH A RED LINE ACROSS THE IMAGE TO CREATE THE
UNIVERSAL "NO" SYMBOL. UNDER THE "NO GUNS" IMAGE, SUPER THE WORDS
"JOHN KERRY SUPPORTS THE BAN".
AUDIO
ANNOUNCER (VO): John Kerry, a sportsman and a hunter, would keep
them illegal.
VIDEO
THE WORDS AND THE "NO" SYMBOL DISSOLVE AND THE WEAPON GROWS
LARGER AGAIN.
AUDIO
ANNOUNCER (VO): But on September 13th, George Bush will let the
Assault Weapon Ban expire.
VIDEO
CUT TO 'MISLEADER' PHOTO OF BUSH. SUPER FULL MOVEON PAC DISCLAIMER
LANGUAGE.
AUDIO
George Bush says he's making America safer. Who does he think he's
kidding?
MoveOn PAC is responsible for the content of this advertisement.

Roguish Lawyer
09-09-2004, 17:34
Morons. The sunset will not legalize machine guns.

I'd call them liars, but I think they are really just stupid.

Team Sergeant
09-09-2004, 17:35
Heh Heh Heh, they should be blaming me, I'm a card carrying member of the NRA!

Besides, we all know guns don't kill, people do.

Team Sergeant

Roguish Lawyer
09-09-2004, 17:37
Maybe someone should tell PETA and the other ecogroups that Kerry is a "sportsman and hunter." LMFAO

The Reaper
09-09-2004, 17:43
1. An assault weapon is by definition, selective fire. Posession of FA weapons has been restricted since 1934, and civilian manufacture of new FA weapons since 1986.

2. They are making it sound like the AWB took those weapons off the street. It did not, they continued to be made with minor cosmetic modifications.

3. I would challenge their spokesman to a contest with a FA only M-16, an AR-15, and a bolt action .223 hunting rifle to engage a target at 100 meters with a mag on full auto, a mag on semi, and a mag from the bolt gun and see which had the most hits.

4. Less than 1% of all crime in this country is committed with rifles of any type.

5. There is NO demonstrable evidence that the AWB had ANY effect on crime.

And finally,

6. The Second Amendment. It isn't about duck hunting.

TR
NRA Life

Ambush Master
09-09-2004, 17:52
Morons. The sunset will not legalize machine guns.

I'd call them liars, but I think they are really just stupid.

One major problem there Counselor. Machineguns never have been ILLEGAL if they are properly Registered !! Now in Kalifornia, they are illegal for private citizens to own, but not in most of the other states. You must have missed the thread where I showed the Pics of my M60 that I built. I am the "Legally Registered" Manufacturer and Owner.

I'll be glad to field any questions on this subject except how to make something into a MG !!!

Later
Martin

Roguish Lawyer
09-09-2004, 18:00
One major problem there Counselor. Machineguns never have been ILLEGAL if they are properly Registered !! Now in Kalifornia, they are illegal for private citizens to own, but not in most of the other states. You must have missed the thread where I showed the Pics of my M60 that I built. I am the "Legally Registered" Manufacturer and Owner.

No, I remember that thread well. IIRC, TR wanted to adopt you as his Dad or something. LOL

I was just trying to point out that the ad is inaccurate -- it suggests that the sunset is going to legalize weapons that fire 300 RPM when that is not true. Am I wrong about that?

NousDefionsDoc
09-09-2004, 18:02
I'm really beginning to hate those people.

Airbornelawyer
09-09-2004, 18:12
Besides, we all know guns don't kill, people do.

Team Sergeant

Guns don't kill people. It's those little bullets. Guns just make them go really, really fast.

NousDefionsDoc
09-09-2004, 18:13
Its not people or guns - Its PUPPIES

Whoops (http://www.dogsinthenews.com/issues/0210/articles/021028a.htm)

Ambush Master
09-09-2004, 18:26
According to the "Statutes", the following items constitute an "AssaultRifle": a pistol grip, a bayonet lug, a detachable box magazine,a threaded flash suppressor and a collapsible butt stock !! As stated in the Texas State Rifle Association publication" When I lay out my parts, someone invariably says, "But where's the barrel, the trigger, the receiver??" Of course the barrel, the trigger, and the receiver, aren't in the equation."

It's only these non-lethal, non-moving items that constitute an assault rifle !!!

Therein lies the, absurdity !!!

Later
Martin

brownapple
09-09-2004, 19:16
The Second Amendment. It isn't about duck hunting.

Bingo.

(seems "bingo" is too short a response)

Steel on Target

The Reaper
09-09-2004, 20:15
No, I remember that thread well. IIRC, TR wanted to adopt you as his Dad or something. LOL

I was just trying to point out that the ad is inaccurate -- it suggests that the sunset is going to legalize weapons that fire 300 RPM when that is not true. Am I wrong about that?

You might get 300 RPM, till you have to change a mag. And you won't hit much. And you could legally buy a weapon to do that before, during, and after the AW ban.

Matter of fact, as noted, in most places, you could buy a weapon to do 6,000 RPM during the ban.

It did run prices up for pre-bans and mags.

The "D.C. Snipers" could have made their shots with a bow and arrow. They rarely fired more than one round, or at long ranges.

TR