PDA

View Full Version : Guatemalan Soldiers Sentenced to 6060 Years for Massacre

Dusty
08-03-2011, 10:40
http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/news/2011/08/03/guatemalan-soldiers-sentenced-in-182-massacre/?test=latestnews

Three former special forces soldiers were sentenced to 6,060 years in prison each on Tuesday, for the 1982 massacre of 201 men, women, and children during the height of Guatemala's civil war.

Court filings say 17 Kaibiles attacked the community of Dos Erres before dawn on December 7, 1982, looking for missing weapons that guerrilla groups operating in the region had stolen from the soldiers days earlier. They accused the farmers of collaborating with the rebels.

While more than 40 soldiers guarded the perimeter of the community, the men raped and killed women and girls, and banished hundreds of people from the community, according to the filings.

Dozens of bodies were exhumed from a well in the community in the 1990s and the remains from 171 victims were recovered in all. At least 67 children under the age of 12 were among the dead.

Witnesses say villagers were tortured and robbed by the soldiers as part of a "scorched earth" effort to eliminate communities supporting insurgent groups at the height of Guatemala's 36-year civil war.

The court also sentenced a former army second lieutenant to 6,066 years in prison for the same massacre in the village of Dos Erres in Guatemala's northern Peten region.

Snip

Read more: http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/news/2011/08/03/guatemalan-soldiers-sentenced-in-182-massacre/#ixzz1Tz7OC4EE

Wolf07
08-04-2011, 11:15
I returned from Guatemala two weeks ago. While there, I worked some with the Paracaidistas and Kaibilies... I wouldn't trust them further than I could throw them...

I wonder if they will try to follow up on the other massacres, now that they successfully have this conviction. I was in a parish with a memorial plaque for all the church members, nuns, and preists that had been killed inside the parish.

And so it goes...:munchin

The Reaper
08-04-2011, 17:26
Not downplaying the atrocities, but the Jesuits have a history of involvement in revolutionary theology.

When I was working in Central America, some priests had gone as far as running guns in their POVs and providing safehouses for the Gs.

TR

Wolf07
08-05-2011, 13:07
Not downplaying the atrocities, but the Jesuits have a history of involvement in revolutionary theology.

When I was working in Central America, some priests had gone as far as running guns in their POVs and providing safehouses for the Gs.

TR

Everything with a grain of salt, thanks for the info.

one-zero
08-07-2011, 18:48
The Priests were in cahoots w/the G's in Guate more overtly for some reason - it wasn't denied to the extent it was in El Sal or Nicaragua...But the guate Army did a lot to give US (SF) & school of the Americas an underserved rep. Like El Sal's MS13, if these guys aren't committing atrocities on Govt/Guerilla payroll - they'll do it under the gang/trafficker banner.