PDA

View Full Version : The UH1

Utah Bob
07-27-2011, 10:14
Yesterday afternoon I was in the den on the computer as usual when I heard a faint sound and, like Radar O'Reilly, dashed out the front door, searching the sky. The wife is used to this although it happens less and less these days. I wish I could stop doing it but I can't. Coming out of the southwest about 800 feet above the house was an old familiar sight. A Huey.

An ungainly looking craft it is. Not dashing certainly, Not a glorious image. More of a crow than a falcon. Beautiful only in it's function; and in that, there is perfection.
One day the sound of the Huey's blade beating the air in submission will disappear from the skies. The bop-bop-bop in the distance has mostly given way to the steady roar of the Blackhawks now. I think I know how the old horse cavalrymen felt when they saw the line of tanks on the field. The field that no longer echoed to the hoof beats of bygone days.

Like the throaty growl of the Spad, the thunderous roar of the B-17, and the scream of the Merlin engine in the Mustang and Spitfire, an age passes. No longer will these old eyes search the clouds for an incoming chariot. A chariot bringing letters from home, or desperately needed supplies, or to take you away from a bad place, maybe only to take you to another one.

I will no longer be transported to another place in time as memories swirl like the water vapor off the tips of the rotor blade. I'll not see a door gunner wave as the bird departs, his eyes saying "So long you poor bastards", as the co-pilot flashes a peace sign out his window. The afternoon will not be interrupted by thoughts of my youth. Thoughts of friends who's youth will never fade. Thoughts of dark nights scarcely cooler than the day, the smell of burning diesel, the distant boom of outgoing shells and the scream of incoming. The sound of the radio crackling as airstrikes are called in. The laughter of barefoot children when they catch the candy bars thrown to them as the convoy rumbles up the road in a choking cloud of red dust.

All these memories will fade as the sound of the Huey passes into history. At a parade, when a flyover of the old war bird occurs, younger men will not notice a tear from an old eye ... or if they do notice, will not understand. And as the landscape no longer vibrates with the thunder of an approaching platoon, time and memories will move on. As they should.

Farewell you ugly, beautiful, smelly, wonderful old thing. Thanks for the memories, damn you.

Dusty
07-27-2011, 10:26
Yeah. So cool the way the seats collapsed under me both times I went down in one. :D

ObliqueApproach
07-27-2011, 10:34
Utah Bob, that was well written and well said, you may have missed your calling!

Barbarian
07-27-2011, 10:36
The UH1

Beautifully said, Sir.

mojaveman
07-27-2011, 10:56
Nice words Bob.

Bulbous and stocky maybe but never ugly. :p

California Department of Forestry still uses them to waterdrop and also airlift fire crews so still see them often.

My favorite position was next to the open door so I could feel the wind in my face...

Richard
07-27-2011, 13:21
Yeah. So cool the way the seats collapsed under me both times I went down in one. :D

They had seats? What for? :p

Richard :munchin

Badger52
07-27-2011, 13:34
One day the sound of the Huey's blade beating the air in submission will disappear from the skies. The bop-bop-bop in the distance has mostly given way to the steady roar of the Blackhawks now.Most eloquent. Thanks for the validation.
40 years ago I couldn't predict that I'd still be looking for that sound.
40 years later I'll posit that no one will be rushing out the door to look in the sky because they immediately know "hey, it's a UH-60."

JJ_BPK
07-27-2011, 14:00
Garry Owen.. :lifter

Utah Bob
07-27-2011, 15:10
I really have to get my old slides digitized before they deteriorate. I have some nice pics of some 229th AHB birds.

SPEC4
07-27-2011, 16:12
The original designation of HU-1 led to the helicopter's nickname of Huey. In September 1962, the designation was changed to UH-1, but Huey remained in common use. (wikipedia)

Well said Bob, I spent many hours in a UH1 and yes I still run outside when I hear an old warbird.

I spent every day for a month riding with feet on the runners as an aggressor at McKall, that pilot , just back from Nam, really new how to fly that slick, good times.

Dusty
07-27-2011, 17:29
They had seats? What for? :p

Richard :munchin

lol Which one's you?

PSM
07-27-2011, 17:35
Still see (or hear) them occasionally here in SoCal. Probably USMC or USMCR.

Pat

Stedfast
07-27-2011, 19:46
Thanks for the memories, well done.

bk1133
08-01-2011, 10:39
I've never heard it said any better. I was fortunate enough to be a Huey Crew Chief in the Marine Corps (N), Army Guard (M,H,V), and civilian (L,M,N,H,V). I do love the sound, the smell (especially on start up), sitting in the door behind a 60 enjoying the view. I do so miss it. Well said sir.

mark46th
08-01-2011, 10:42
Dusty- You got shot down twice? That makes two people I will follow anywhere. Except on to a helicopter...

Dusty
08-01-2011, 11:43
Dusty- You got shot down twice? That makes two people I will follow anywhere. Except on to a helicopter...

No. As far as I know, I never got shot at while on a Huey. They just broke in flight. :D

mark46th
08-01-2011, 12:05
Oh- Sorry. When you said you went down, I thought you meant the helicopter went all the way down...

Dusty
08-01-2011, 12:08
Oh- Sorry. When you said you went down, I thought you meant the helicopter went all the way down...

If I misled you, I apologize. Prolly not funny to anybody who actually got shot down.

BryanK
08-02-2011, 11:05
Utah Bob,

Sir, be aware that the flutter of those wings still beat in theater. Where I am now they fly on a regular basis. I'm not certain who owns them, but they are here and being used quite frequently. :lifter

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"