PDA

View Full Version : Some new knives...send your feedback

CRUSADERSTEEL
07-27-2011, 02:02
Hey guys.. Here's some new designs I have been working on.

Combat Bowie: Wanted to blend the old with the new. Had to have modern materials and have some modern lines but still immediately identified as a Bowie. Took me a while to get the design to where I felt it met the above criteria but I think we did it and has been a big hit!

Naqam (Vengence in Hebrew): I designed this for an Army Chaplain and friend of mine. His only request was a "big knife". It's definitely big and I think it's quite stunning, one of my favorites.

NHK (no handle knife): I wanted to make a knife that gave you the most blade length in the smallest package. It is easily concealed in an IWB sheath or a perfect neck knife. I worked on this design for a long time and it is very stable in the hande whether your punching, slashing, or using it for fine detail work it feels solid!

AAR it up! The Good, the Bad and the Ugly...let's hear it! Thanks

JJ_BPK
07-27-2011, 03:50
Hey guys.. Here's some new designs I have been working on.

Naqam (Vengence in Hebrew): I designed this for an Army Chaplain and friend of mine. His only request was a "big knife". It's definitely big and I think it's quite stunning, one of my favorites.

I like them all,, but I am real partial to the one on the wood desk? Naqam?

I have always liked the slight drop in the tip. I first saw the style in a Spanish or Portuguese bayonet similar to this one..

:lifter

Barbarian
07-27-2011, 10:25
As a general knife-head, and knifemaker wanna-be, I gotta say that there is nothing bad or ugly about your knives, Sir.

Edited to add: I got my eye on one of those Defender 1 Concealables with the skeletonized handles. I may just have to buy one.

Dusty
07-27-2011, 10:28
Deleted

Team Sergeant
07-27-2011, 10:34
Naqam and NHK look very cool. I like the size of your NHK! Can you put a bottle opener on it? :munchin

DJ Urbanovsky
07-27-2011, 11:25
Nice work, buddy!

I wish my early knives looked half that good.

Great work on those plunges, especially on the bowie.

Keep doing what you're doing.

CRUSADERSTEEL
07-27-2011, 11:30
Naqam and NHK look very cool. I like the size of your NHK! Can you put a bottle opener on it? :munchin

I have something in the works for you TS... I have them being Water Jet'd today actually, I may have to debut the proto-type here... Oh what the hell Troll has already seen it. I will post some pics today. It will open beer AND kick some ass when you need it too so yes.. it will do eveything an 18A can AND kick ass;)

Roguish Lawyer
07-27-2011, 11:34
I have something in the works for you TS... I have them being Water Jet'd today actually, I may have to debut the proto-type here... Oh what the hell Troll has already seen it. I will post some pics today. It will open beer AND kick some ass when you need it too so yes.. it will do eveything an 18A can AND kick ass;)

Did you let Troll try to break it?

CRUSADERSTEEL
07-27-2011, 11:35
Nice work, buddy!

I wish my early knives looked half that good.

Great work on those plunges, especially on the bowie.

Keep doing what you're doing.

Thanks D!! We're getting there.. I just have to keep milking you and Bill of all your secrets!! HA

CRUSADERSTEEL
07-27-2011, 11:39
Did you let Troll try to break it?

He tried!! I have to child proof everything when he comes over. I give him a set of pumpkin cutters to sharpen to keep him busy so he doesnt hurt himself..Ha.. no.. we actually sit around an come up with some good stuff.... sometimes..

CRUSADERSTEEL
07-27-2011, 12:23

Ok.. You guys are the first to see this other than Troll and well.. he's not a person so he doesnt count.
I wanted to make a line of inconspicuous self defense weapons. Items that you can carry and are indeed weapons but dont draw attention. I hope this is the first of a long line of such tools. This is the B.A.B.O. (back alley bottle opener). You can put it on your key ring, no one will think anything of it and even bring it into a bar, but you have a very effective weapon if and when you need it. It's perfect for women, it's obviously easy to use and requires no special training and yes... it will open a bottle. This is just the prototype I hade cut out, the production ones will have all the corners nice and rounded, it will be blasted, look pretty, and be logo'd.

What you think?

DDD
07-27-2011, 16:27
I like it! One can never have too many bottle openers, and if you can use them to alter someones reality so much the better!
When will you have them in production?

CRUSADERSTEEL
07-27-2011, 16:43
I like it! One can never have too many bottle openers, and if you can use them to alter someones reality so much the better!
When will you have them in production?

I am already taking orders. I pick up the first batch tomorrow and most are spoken for just from the few guys I showed them to up at Grp. I am already ordering materials for a larger run. I just wanted to get one all prettied up before I put it on the website.

swatsurgeon
07-27-2011, 20:01
Make it out of carbon fiber, call it a combo ice scraper bottle opener and they'll sell like widgets.

knives look like they will inflict some significant internal damage based on width and length...alot of mass passing into someone (surgical perspective)

ss

DJ Urbanovsky
07-28-2011, 08:12
Bad idea.

Carbon fiber is a poor choice for this application. Look at how thin the web is on the sides of the ring. You don't want a device like this collapsing under impact and guillotining your finger. Steel or Ti, now we're talkin'. CF, fuggedaboudit. You'd also start tearing chunks out of it the first time you opened a bottle with it, and that's going to eventually lead to CF splinters, which are unpleasant.

CF and G10 will also blow out and de-laminate when waterjet cut unless the machine is equipped with a pilot hole attachment.

Make it out of carbon fiber, call it a combo ice scraper bottle opener and they'll sell like widgets.

LibraryLady
07-28-2011, 09:13
Ok.. You guys are the first to see this other than Troll and well.. he's not a person so he doesnt count.
I wanted to make a line of inconspicuous self defense weapons. Items that you can carry and are indeed weapons but dont draw attention. I hope this is the first of a long line of such tools. This is the B.A.B.O. (back alley bottle opener). You can put it on your key ring, no one will think anything of it and even bring it into a bar, but you have a very effective weapon if and when you need it. It's perfect for women, it's obviously easy to use and requires no special training and yes... it will open a bottle. This is just the prototype I hade cut out, the production ones will have all the corners nice and rounded, it will be blasted, look pretty, and be logo'd.

What you think?

I have one small complaint about it. I was in it's presence and wasn't allowed to touch it. :mad: :p

LL

ObliqueApproach
07-28-2011, 09:38
I am already taking orders. I pick up the first batch tomorrow and most are spoken for just from the few guys I showed them to up at Grp. I am already ordering materials for a larger run. I just wanted to get one all prettied up before I put it on the website.

This is a great idea. My wife and daughter each carry a small Cold Steel push knife on their keychains, but they are obviously knives and the plastic sheaths are iffy at best. This would be a much better option in some circumstances!:cool:

How do I order one or two?

Dragbag036
07-28-2011, 10:15
I would like to know how to order as well, these are great!

DB

Roguish Lawyer
07-28-2011, 10:54

What is the address of the website?

Barbarian
07-28-2011, 11:21
What is the address of the website?

www.meltonknifeanddesign.com

Roguish Lawyer
07-28-2011, 11:28
I don't see this item on the website. What's the price and is the edge sharpened or not (hard to tell from the photos)?

CRUSADERSTEEL
07-28-2011, 12:17
I don't see this item on the website. What's the price and is the edge sharpened or not (hard to tell from the photos)?

Sorry guys I was fairly vague in description ... to order contact me at meltonknifeanddesign@yahoo.com. No the edge isnt sharpened it's simply a blunt force trauma tool, essentially they are knuckles with a bottle opener disguise. They are $49.90, but anyone on here gets a 15% PS Disc. The ones you get will be much nicer, they will be blasted, have lanyard hole drilled and lanyard for key ring, and be logo'd. Any other questions feel free to contact me at the above email..
Thanks,
Gary

CRUSADERSTEEL
07-28-2011, 12:28
Bad idea.
Carbon fiber is a poor choice for this application. Look at how thin the web is on the sides of the ring. You don't want a device like this collapsing under impact and guillotining your finger. Steel or Ti, now we're talkin'. CF, fuggedaboudit. You'd also start tearing chunks out of it the first time you opened a bottle with it, and that's going to eventually lead to CF splinters, which are unpleasant.

CF and G10 will also blow out and de-laminate when waterjet cut unless the machine is equipped with a pilot hole attachment.

Absolutely right. D knows a thing or two about a thing or two! D is what happens when you give smart people steel and grinders... Luckily for knuckle draggers like me he shares all that brainpower.. :lifter

Shark Bait
07-28-2011, 13:39
How about a combo of the BABO and the NHK? I would be interested in that!:D

CRUSADERSTEEL
07-28-2011, 15:01
I have one small complaint about it. I was in it's presence and wasn't allowed to touch it. :mad: :p

LL

LL... You should have said somthing.. I am pretty sure I had to pry it out of You know who's hands lol.. I meant to get you to try it and get your thoughts from a lady's persepective. Troll keeps me wrapped up while he's here I have to watch him like a hawk lmao.... no not really but he does keep me engaged. You will have to push him out of the way next time and say GIVE ME THAT!!

CRUSADERSTEEL
07-28-2011, 15:06
How about a combo of the BABO and the NHK? I would be interested in that!:D

Well the point is to be able to keep this on your key ring even in places that dont let you have weapons.. The intent is to not LOOK like a weapon. If we add a blade to it then.. well.. we have lost the premise. BUT... I have already thought about making a version of the BABO that is a punch dagger..

Roguish Lawyer
07-28-2011, 15:08
You will have to push him out of the way next time and say GIVE ME THAT!!

Or, better yet, give me that or the Troll gets it . . .

CRUSADERSTEEL
07-28-2011, 23:24
If you guys get a chance friend us on Facebook Melton Knife and Design and stay plugged into any new projects, random pics, and most of all, post your opinions, ideas, suggestions! Thanks
Gary

Shark Bait
07-29-2011, 10:59
Well the point is to be able to keep this on your key ring even in places that dont let you have weapons.. The intent is to not LOOK like a weapon. If we add a blade to it then.. well.. we have lost the premise. BUT... I have already thought about making a version of the BABO that is a punch dagger..

I wasn't suggesting that you change your design. I was thinking of another product along the same line. But so are you.:D

ObliqueApproach
07-29-2011, 11:30
Sorry guys I was fairly vague in description ... to order contact me at meltonknifeanddesign@yahoo.com. No the edge isnt sharpened it's simply a blunt force trauma tool, essentially they are knuckles with a bottle opener disguise. They are $49.90, but anyone on here gets a 15% PS Disc. The ones you get will be much nicer, they will be blasted, have lanyard hole drilled and lanyard for key ring, and be logo'd. Any other questions feel free to contact me at the above email..
Thanks,
Gary

Done!:D

DJ Urbanovsky
07-29-2011, 11:31
More like what happens when you give a caveman steel and a grinder. It's just wrecking enough stuff to discover what doesn't work. :eek: Well, even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then. :D

As a maker, I walk in some pretty big footsteps - if it weren't for those guys that helped me (and still do), I wouldn't be half the maker I am. It's all about the furthering of the craft. If we don't pass on the art, the art dies.

Absolutely right. D knows a thing or two about a thing or two! D is what happens when you give smart people steel and grinders... Luckily for knuckle draggers like me he shares all that brainpower.. :lifter

CRUSADERSTEEL
08-03-2011, 19:41
I have to say that is one of the greatest and least known facts about the knife industry. That is, just how willing everyone (each other's competitors mind you) to share just about any and everything. It still astonishes me and it makes me proud as a knife maker to be a part of such a community. I mean 99% of all knife makers are truly just genuine Good Ole' Boys. Guys like Bill Harsey I think set the tone back in the day and we're lucky all the new guys have carried it on. I mean I have had tips and tricks shared with me that I know have taken guys years to figure out .... it's just that kind of environment and I really enjoy getting to be apart of it.

DJ Urbanovsky
08-04-2011, 12:53
That's one of the greatest things about our industry - Ford doesn't go over to Chevy and say "We've got this new engine design, it gets 70MPG and makes 400HP, you should use this in your vehicles," but stuff like that happens in the knife world all the time. :D

One of the other cool things is how available the luminaries in this industry are. I could pick up the phone right now and call Bill and he'd probably answer. And if he were busy, he'd call me back. Pretty awesome.

The people are a major part of what makes this gig so great. It's a hard, dirty, dangerous job. Because it's real work, it tends to attract a certain kind of individual. Knifemaking comes from the heart. You've got to have it in there first. I could teach a guy everything I do from start to finish in the build process, but if he doesn't have that red hot coal in his heart, he'll quickly move on to other things. Heart and intestinal fortitude have gotten me much further than raw talent in this endeavor.

I have to say that is one of the greatest and least known facts about the knife industry. That is, just how willing everyone (each other's competitors mind you) to share just about any and everything. It still astonishes me and it makes me proud as a knife maker to be a part of such a community. I mean 99% of all knife makers are truly just genuine Good Ole' Boys. Guys like Bill Harsey I think set the tone back in the day and we're lucky all the new guys have carried it on. I mean I have had tips and tricks shared with me that I know have taken guys years to figure out .... it's just that kind of environment and I really enjoy getting to be apart of it.

CRUSADERSTEEL
08-04-2011, 20:14
That's one of the greatest things about our industry - Ford doesn't go over to Chevy and say "We've got this new engine design, it gets 70MPG and makes 400HP, you should use this in your vehicles," but stuff like that happens in the knife world all the time. :D

One of the other cool things is how available the luminaries in this industry are. I could pick up the phone right now and call Bill and he'd probably answer. And if he were busy, he'd call me back. Pretty awesome.

The people are a major part of what makes this gig so great. It's a hard, dirty, dangerous job. Because it's real work, it tends to attract a certain kind of individual. Knifemaking comes from the heart. You've got to have it in there first. I could teach a guy everything I do from start to finish in the build process, but if he doesn't have that red hot coal in his heart, he'll quickly move on to other things. Heart and intestinal fortitude have gotten me much further than raw talent in this endeavor.

You forgot to mention the fame and fortune and the hot knife maker groupies.. thats why I got into this. I heard the groupies show up about your second show right??:confused:

x SF med
08-05-2011, 08:58
You forgot to mention the fame and fortune and the hot knife maker groupies.. thats why I got into this. I heard the groupies show up about your second show right??:confused:

Oh, I'm telling Mrs. Opie about this line...:eek: then I'm standing back and watching you get beat down horribly...:D you do not need groupies... I'll leave it there...:rolleyes:

CRUSADERSTEEL
08-06-2011, 00:58
Should have never taught her to lift weights!

CRUSADERSTEEL
08-09-2011, 20:05
Here is the finished, refined product. These feel great! All edges are rounded and feel very comfortable in the hand and while punching stuff.. I mean opening bottles. If you ordered one I am just waiting on some really nice quick detach key chains that will be going out with them. Should be headed your way within a few days! Enjoy!

gtcrispy
08-11-2011, 18:42
Nice work. Might have to pick up one up :)

jw74
08-11-2011, 20:05
I love the Naqam. I'm saving for it.

Shark Bait
08-14-2011, 08:01
Looks good!! :)

x SF med
08-17-2011, 14:06
The BABO is a serious chunk of steel... got mine last weekend, too bad it has not been used for either of its main functions, yet....

DJ Urbanovsky
08-27-2011, 11:38
Those knives you brought were excellent, buddy. Nice work! What you're doing this early in your career is mighty impressive. Good stuff. :D

Bill Harsey
09-15-2011, 08:41
Should have never taught her to lift weights!

It's not the weights that will get ya, it's the shooting training. ;)

Nice direction on the work.