PDA

View Full Version : US special forces to be taught how to cook for Afghan tribal elders

BMT (RIP)
07-20-2011, 07:43
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/afghanistan/8647764/US-special-forces-to-be-taught-how-to-cook-for-Afghan-tribal-elders.html

BMT

Penn
07-20-2011, 07:49
I know of two SME in the culinary arts who are available @ 150K+

mark46th
07-20-2011, 08:28
Any QP who went through Phase I back in the day can slaughter a goat.

Penn
07-20-2011, 09:47
Yea, but goat tartar gets boring after awhile.

Pete
07-20-2011, 11:26
Point of order

Ah, village cooking in Afghanistan. Do the guys do the cooking or do the females and then somebody brings it out?

In other words - who does the cooking when females are around?

Sooooooooo................

Badger52
07-20-2011, 11:55
Point of order

Ah, village cooking in Afghanistan. Do the guys do the cooking or do the females and then somebody brings it out?

In other words - who does the cooking when females are around?

Sooooooooo................You mean, like CSTs?

PRB
07-20-2011, 14:17
A cook or a tea/chai boy are way low on the social totempole....right about there with servants/handmaids.
Serve the right chow...hell, they love shishkebob (sp) the same way we do and it's prepared the same way.
But if some team guy is doing the "I'm preparing benihana style before your very eyes' ...Abdullah will be thinking...'what a nice bitch boy'....

Team Sergeant
07-20-2011, 14:50
Yea, but goat tartar gets boring after awhile.

The mud houses they have lived in for "centuries" is not a testament to the Afgan desire for boring?;)

A three day culinay course for Special Ops personnel should be just about right for an Afgan palette...........

JAH687
07-20-2011, 17:43
A cook or a tea/chai boy are way low on the social totempole....right about there with servants/handmaids.
Serve the right chow...hell, they love shishkebob (sp) the same way we do and it's prepared the same way.
But if some team guy is doing the "I'm preparing benihana style before your very eyes' ...Abdullah will be thinking...'what a nice bitch boy'....

I'm not in SF, and I've never even been to the middle east, but I did stay at a holiday inn express last night so I think I'm qualified to say that I whole heartedly agree. If they want to know what America is all about, I say we open up a small food court with all the typical food court fare (Burger King, Panda Express, Sbarros, etc..) in every village ;)

Team Sergeant
07-20-2011, 18:19
I'm not in SF, and I've never even been to the middle east, but I did stay at a holiday inn express last night so I think I'm qualified to say that I whole heartedly agree. If they want to know what America is all about, I say we open up a small food court with all the typical food court fare (Burger King, Panda Express, Sbarros, etc..) in every village ;)

That was discussed but the illegal aliens that man the fast food joints here in the USA refuse to work in Astan.......

Sten
07-20-2011, 18:49
That was discussed but the illegal aliens that man the fast food joints here in the USA refuse to work in Astan.......

Sir, I think you might have stumbled on to a use for Blackwater.

Peregrino
07-20-2011, 18:59
The MSM is a day late and dollar short - as usual. The pilot project was a month ago. A few of us who aided the execution in some way got to attend the graduation "feast" where we (the Command) hosted the Afghan SF General and his entourage. I'm guessing the newspaper saw the solicitation for contract we submitted last month when the program was deemed successful and required. As for the chattering classes - move along smartly now. There's nothing to see here.

P.S. - It isn't for Special Forces Soldiers. It's for cooks. Real, live, honest to God, Army cooks. We've (mostly) broken the code to get cooks from the Army to support the VSO sites and isolated firebases. They needed an introduction to real SF logistics - feeding guys (usually by themselves) without TISA and a mess hall. That means procurement, preparation, presentation, preservation, sanitation, etc. in an austere environment. Thank a really motivated CW3 Food Services Officer in G4 USASFC(A).

PRB
07-20-2011, 20:49
The MSM is a day late and dollar short - as usual. The pilot project was a month ago. A few of us who aided the execution in some way got to attend the graduation "feast" where we (the Command) hosted the Afghan SF General and his entourage. I'm guessing the newspaper saw the solicitation for contract we submitted last month when the program was deemed successful and required. As for the chattering classes - move along smartly now. There's nothing to see here.

P.S. - It isn't for Special Forces Soldiers. It's for cooks. Real, live, honest to God, Army cooks. We've (mostly) broken the code to get cooks from the Army to support the VSO sites and isolated firebases. They needed an introduction to real SF logistics - feeding guys (usually by themselves) without TISA and a mess hall. That means procurement, preparation, presentation, preservation, sanitation, etc. in an austere environment. Thank a really motivated CW3 Food Services Officer in G4 USASFC(A).

Hope like hell you didn't have to train them to do that!

mark46th
07-20-2011, 21:39
"That was discussed but the illegal aliens that man the fast food joints here in the USA refuse to work in Astan......." Team Sergeant

The reason our hispanic dependents won't go to A-Stan is because Allah has deemed Carnitas as food non gratis. Islam's loss.

Viking
07-21-2011, 04:59
Our cook (USAF) was a little overwhelmed at first. All of our cooking was in a firepit using the wooden bases from the airdrop pallets as firewood. He had limited food, UGR-As and some big pots. (of course there was MREs and First Strikes as well). It didn't take him long and he was doing quite well. We have now upgraded to a homemade grill, some microwaves and a small tabletop stove. I think preparing cooks for the environment ahead of time sounds like a great idea.

wet dog
07-21-2011, 06:32
"That was discussed but the illegal aliens that man the fast food joints here in the USA refuse to work in Astan......." Team Sergeant

The reason our hispanic dependents won't go to A-Stan is because Allah has deemed Carnitas as food non gratis. Islam's loss.

I say we build a Harley Davidson motorcycle dealership, a Costco and Hooters. Let them see a Bed, Bath & Beyond or Container store.

On Saturday afternoon, a $10 bikini bike wash for charity with hot dogs and cold beer.