PDA

View Full Version : Why use a Gut Hook?

badshot
07-19-2011, 01:48
I have found several references to 'Gut Hooks'. What can they be used for other than their original purpose?

I've never used one:

For Fish:

I cut a V along lower jaw bone around tongue area. Then cut from anus to gills (or the bone that crosses between them) Don't cut past gills. Flap tongue out and stick thumb in cut V then into throat. Some fish require a glove for this as they have stickers on the tongue. Put pointer or index finger in belly cut and bend up towards thumb. If your thumb and other finger are touching that's perfect, bigger fish they won't. Pull down firmly towards tail. Gills, tongue, and guts come out in one piece. Bigger fish require more pull.

Smaller mammals and many birds can be done faster without any cutting at all.
(eg. Grouse, step on both wings close to body, grab feet and pull. Done. Depending on your State's regulations, you can toss the feet)

Big Game:

With animal on its back. Cut from between rear legs to 1/4 to 1/2 way up neck (not over sternum) . Find windpipe, cut it in two. The more windpipe on the chest side the better. Grab the side closest to chest and pull towards chest. Gently cut any tissue that may be attached.

At this point some use a saw to split the sternum which is easier in some respects. I don't, but the process is the same.

Bend the windpipe into the chest cavity while gently cutting any tissue and place the pipe between the sternum and lungs/heart. While holding the windpipe at the bend, push it forward towards the anus and cut the connecting tissue near the spinal cord with the other. It should be pretty close even on an Elk sized animal. From the bottom of the ribcage carefully (bone fragments can cut you) reach up and grab the windpipe firmly and pull. If there's too much resistance, hold the windpipe straight up and cut the connecting tissue carefully (rarely an issue, you can pull pretty hard). Once you've pulled the guts all the way out, cut the anus tube.

Now if you've done a straight on frontal shot at 50yrds on a Pronghorn with the 300win mag. You probably need a shovel and might not do it this way.
For those that are saving a cape, open the belly and take the cape off first then cut up the neck (you probably already knew that).

I've used this on everything in North American from coyote (don't ask) to Elk. Haven't tried it on Moose or Grizzly.

So are there other uses for the Gut Hook I'm missing?

Shark Bait
07-20-2011, 11:20
I believe it was designed to make opening the adbomen of a big game animal easier. The only sharp area is in the arc of the hook and the hook itself is not sharp. So you would make an incision through skin and muscle of the abdomen, then insert the hook and pull the knife through. The blunt tip of the hook should not cut any of the entrails and make a mess. But I haven't used one either.

Buffalobob
07-20-2011, 14:10
A lot of the specialty ales like Blue Moon, Dead Horse and Uinta do not have twist off caps.

Dusty
07-20-2011, 14:17
A lot of the specialty ales like Blue Moon, Dead Horse and Uinta do not have twist off caps.

:D:D:D

badshot
07-20-2011, 21:32
I believe it was designed to make opening the adbomen of a big game animal easier. The only sharp area is in the arc of the hook and the hook itself is not sharp. So you would make an incision through skin and muscle of the abdomen, then insert the hook and pull the knife through. The blunt tip of the hook should not cut any of the entrails and make a mess. But I haven't used one either.

Ok, that makes sense. Was with someone this past season with a big knife who nicked the digestive track while he was gutting an Elk.

badshot
07-20-2011, 21:37

Not surprised, bet D has a video somewhere to back it up.

Have a BearClaw that I'd used more often if it didn't have one of those damn things on it. Will bring it along at the next outdoor beer party.

Bill Harsey
07-21-2011, 08:37
Gut hooks on a knife blade get in the way of anything else the knife does or was supposed to do.
I was taught, like many, how to be careful opening up the main container and not knicking the plumbing.

badshot
07-21-2011, 15:48
Gut hooks on a knife blade get in the way of anything else the knife does or was supposed to do.
I was taught, like many, how to be careful opening up the main container and not knicking the plumbing.

Good to hear it from someone whom is a master on the subject. Eloquently stated to boot.

Thank you