PDA

View Full Version : The Old Tuna Boats

akv
07-10-2011, 22:07
A SoCal fishing buddy sent me some pictures of the old Tuna pole fishing method back in the 1920's off of San Diego. Apparently they would chum the water and get the Tuna into a feeding frenzy, never a dull moment, especially when the rack collapses with 300lb tuna flying around and sharks following the school...

Kai
07-10-2011, 23:36
A relative of mine started the sportfishing business (tuna, marlin, yellowtail, etc) in San Diego. After he died, his son ran the business for a while, and then eventually sold out to H&M.

It began on a barge anchored off the coast, called the Ike Walton. They would only allow poles, at a time when hand lines were still popular. My relative would walk along and cut any hand lines he saw, and offer the person a pole instead ("one time only"). He also came up with the first long-range fishing trips, out to the Coronado islands and beyond, along with many innovations.

19496 19497

mark46th
07-11-2011, 09:30
Having been raised in Southern California by an avid fisherman, I have spent many a day fishing out of Point Loma. H&M, Fisherman's landing, etc. Lot's of fun. FWIW, there was an old TV adventure show back in the 1950's that did a two part show on the tuna boats. They went all the way down to the Galapagos looking for tuna. Seeing 3 bamboo poles on a 300 pound tuna was incredible...

akv
07-11-2011, 11:49
Mark46th,

Was this the show you mentioned? What a job that would have been. Apparently the old GI helmets are for concussion protection from 300lb tuna flying everywhere...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lp_Rs75-5vI

greenlight
07-11-2011, 14:03
I'm wondering how they fished Tuna in them days? Is it seine netting or longlines? I'm thinking about that movie "the perfect storm" they were on lines but as far as I remember that was swordfish they caught.

I'm guessing seine nets, anyone know?

mark46th
07-11-2011, 20:19
AKV- No, that's not the one. The one I saw was called "John Gunther's High Road to Adventure".

Habu-MFFI 175
07-15-2011, 17:54
Thats about as close as you can get to "hand to hand" with a big fish.

<*))))>{

ReconDoc242
09-19-2011, 09:29
You know what's crazy, this method of fishing is still in use. I remember doing amphib ops off the coast of San Diego and watching a tuna boat picking up albacore in that manner.

ZonieDiver
09-19-2011, 10:42
You know what's crazy, this method of fishing is still in use. I remember doing amphib ops off the coast of San Diego and watching a tuna boat picking up albacore in that manner.

That's why the fisheries conservancy/greenies say it is "okay" to eat albacore, but not regular tuna! I like albacore better anyway...

mark46th
09-19-2011, 11:28
There are still a couple of boats over in Hawaii that still use this method...