PDA

View Full Version : Army's Last Draftee to Retire After 39 Years

uplink5
07-03-2011, 19:32
FORT BELVOIR, Va. -- A homemade wind chime with the word "Whining" under a red slash is made from metal parts put in his leg after a parachute accident. Every Sunday he trims his crew cut. He didn't join the Army willingly, but as Command Sgt. Maj. Jeff Mellinger prepares to retire, he's grateful he found his calling.

Mellinger was drafted to fight the Vietnam War, and the Army believes he's the last draftee to retire, after 39 years. Most did their two years and left. But Mellinger had found home

Read more: HERE (http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/07/03/armys-last-draftee-to-retire-after-3-years/#ixzz1R60FaFGE)

Great story!!!.....God Bless You CSM Mellinger, thanks for your service and good luck in the future.....jd

PRB
07-03-2011, 19:53
I know Jeff pretty well and he is a great guy. We went to MFF JM course together eons ago and bumped into each other often as CSM's.
I was wondering just the other day if he'd retired.
He is and always has been a soldiers soldier. Can't say much more than that.

wet dog
07-03-2011, 20:00
I found it not-ironic, that a retiring CSM found his way into SF many years ago.

Congrats on a most excellent career.

Makes me smile.:)

PRB: Make sure he gets an invite to PS.com

mojaveman
07-03-2011, 20:07
Hats off to CSM Mellinger.

It must have been interesting watching all of the changes over four decades.

Survived 27 roadside bombings? He is a very lucky person.

uplink5
07-03-2011, 20:23
It must have been interesting watching all of the changes over four decades.

No doupt!

Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush Sr., Clinton, Bush, Obama....

He should write a book. He'd have a very unique first hand perspective on many changes with their effects over time, good and bad. I'd buy it.....:munchin

PRB
07-03-2011, 20:31
I found it not-ironic, that a retiring CSM found his way into SF many years ago.

Sent Jeff the web and invite.

PRB
07-03-2011, 20:33

BTW, Jeff isn't SF but was in the Ranger Bn's for quite awhile...invite still stands tho even for those blockheads ;)

wet dog
07-03-2011, 21:06
BTW, Jeff isn't SF but was in the Ranger Bn's for quite awhile...invite still stands tho even for those blockheads ;)

Too funny. I enjoyed my Batt time, but knew going in, Ranger Batt was not for me. I lived well outside of normal army infantry standardization, kind of like waiting for formation sitting in the dayroom while it rained outside.

Buffalobob
07-04-2011, 05:45
A lot of draftees were very good soldiers and fought well.

Gypsy
07-04-2011, 08:01
Many thanks and best wishes to CSM Mellinger!