PDA

View Full Version : Decline of American social fabric

rdret1
06-26-2011, 17:37
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2011/06/26/marriage-ref-contestant-blames-seinfeld-for-divorce/?test=latestnews

All of us have heard our parents, grand-parents, and if we were fortunate, or great-grandparents, lament about the decline of society from when they were kids. I am sure most of us have been guilty of the same thing when talking to our own children or grand-children.

I just have to say the proof is in the television (pudding so to speak). Like most of the now older group on here, I grew up watching television like "Rawhide"; "Maverick"; "Roy Rogers"; "Have gun Will Travel"; "The Virginian"; "High Chaparral"; "The Lone Ranger"; etc. Then there was "12 O'Clock High"; "The Rat Patrol"; "Combat"; "Hogan's Heroes"; and even "F Troop". These were all shows that could infuse a young boy with a sense of adventure, fair play, honor and that the good guy usually won in the end. These were the popular shows back then.

What do they have today? Reality shows! If there was ever a misnomer, this is it! "Survivor"; "Real Housewives" of whatever; "The Apprentice"; "Big Brother" and all that other CRAP that passes itself off as entertainment. All that these shows infuse kids with is the concept of selfishness; back stabbing; and self centeredness! I can honestly say I refuse to watch the majority of these shows. About the only ones I have watched were "Combat Missions" (and bitched to the wife about how BS most of it was); and "Ma's Roadhouse" (it was just pure funny).

Having grown up on cattle ranches in the Texas panhandle and New Mexico, it makes me ask; where have the cowboys gone, and what will our kids be bitching about their grand-kids watching in 20 - 30 years?

Dusty
06-26-2011, 18:01
What happened was a fall from Judeo-Christian morality.

Kyobanim
06-26-2011, 18:09
There is also the History Channel, Science Channel, Natgeo, military channel, etc.; facebook, myspace, etc

These are some of the reasons that there is shit on network tv today. These other media outlets are providing a choice. And it doesn't help that TV exects don't have the patients to let a new show get a following. They always want quick ratings results.

PRB
06-26-2011, 18:10
In this vein...I watched the opener of "Suit" last nite. A new lawyer TV series. I was amazed at the total lack of any moral attitude. The star is a kid who took other kids collage tests for them for cash, and met the Lawyer at the firm when a dope sale he was executing went wrong.
He then goes to Harvard to learn the campus because his new lawyer boss says he has to sell the kid as a Harvard grad....lies, deception and basically a do anything to get ahead.
All of this in an atmosphere of 'well it works and it's cool' . Couldn't handle the blatant lack of any honor whatsoever....great teaching tool for kids.

Roguish Lawyer
06-26-2011, 18:17
It's the victory of nihilism over morality, pure and simple. There is no longer any right and wrong. And if it feels good, do it. :rolleyes:

mojaveman
06-26-2011, 19:33
There is so much garbage on television nowdays I gave up watching it a long time ago. It's like the producers of the shows want to see how much sex and violence they can portray just for shock effect and high ratings.

Many years ago I sat in the living room with my family every Sunday night at 7:00 and watched the "Disney" show. Jiffy pop popcorn, RC Cola, etc. Anyone remember those days?

The only "reality televison" I have ever watched that was real was "Candid Camera".

The only show that I sometimes watch is the new "Hawaii 5-0".

I'd really like to see someone do a remake of the old "High Chaparral".

I'm starting to feel old so I'll stop now...

monsterhunter
06-26-2011, 19:45
Rdret1, I agree very much with everything you said and would like to add the following. Parenting appears to also be on the decline. I'm seeing a lot of parents worrying about how their children feel about them as parents. Being a friend, rather than a parent is leading to the morality rate dropping off the scales. No consequence for wrong actions coupled with the modern day crap on TV is making a mess of today's kids.

akv
06-26-2011, 20:17
entire post

Sir,

I agree with your post, especially the lack of honor displayed onscreen these days, it's tough to stomach. It might be a stretch but it seems to be manifesting itself at younger ages. A young man I know recently burned a bunch of music and books as a present for his sister instead of paying for them, and didn't think twice about it, neither objected, I don't think this bodes well.

On the flip side, what is a more historically accurate description of old west shootings, Gary Cooper bravely facing the bad guys head on, or all sorts of bushwhacks and shooting people in the back? If there is a silver lining, these Machiavellian traits being fostered are nothing new to the world, particularly in cultures beyond our shores.

IMO, this is an eternal cycle, generations which face great adversity learn what is truly important in life and prosper, subsequent generations raised in prosperity become increasingly fickle until they too face great adversity and relearn the tough lessons, on and on.

Bread and Circuses...

Barbarian
06-26-2011, 20:42
Everyone's posts

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way.

Between tv,Hollywood and facebook, most kids nowdays don't have a chance at staying in touch with reality.

SF0
06-26-2011, 20:46
We don't subscribe to cable TV- we actually use Netflix, as it lets us pick and choose what our children watch. Even then, there are many "children's" cartoons that have to be screened as they simply teach horrible behavior. I am no holier than thou fundie in the slightest, but some of the things depicted are unacceptable.

The best thing to do is to spend more time together doing activities with them.

Sigaba
06-30-2011, 15:22
In this vein...I watched the opener of "Suits" last nite. A new lawyer TV series. I was amazed at the total lack of any moral attitude. The star is a kid who took other kids collage tests for them for cash, and met the Lawyer at the firm when a dope sale he was executing went wrong.

He then goes to Harvard to learn the campus because his new lawyer boss says he has to sell the kid as a Harvard grad....lies, deception and basically a do anything to get ahead.

All of this in an atmosphere of 'well it works and it's cool' . Couldn't handle the blatant lack of any honor whatsoever....great teaching tool for kids.I saw the rebroadcast of the pilot episode last night. I found the characters and story compelling.

My own take is that the show is about a guy learning that operating with a badly damaged moral compass as a youth has long reaching consequences when one enters adulthood. He seems to possess already the tragic knowledge that his past is inescapable. (And by tragic, I mean in the classical sense, not the way the word is used today.)

In many ways, the show's basic premise is fitting metaphor for America in the late twentieth/early twenty first century.

More generally, notwithstanding the poison of most reality shows--I am of the view that we're in a golden age of television.

YMMV.

PRB
06-30-2011, 16:46
I saw the rebroadcast of the pilot episode last night. I found the characters and story compelling.

My own take is that the show is about a guy learning that operating with a badly damaged moral compass as a youth has long reaching consequences when one enters adulthood. He seems to possess already the tragic knowledge that his past is inescapable. (And by tragic, I mean in the classical sense, not the way the word is used today.)

In many ways, the show's basic premise is fitting metaphor for America in the late twentieth/early twenty first century.

More generally, notwithstanding the poison of most reality shows--I am of the view that we're in a golden age of television.

YMMV.

I don't quit see that. So he goes from selling drugs and being paid to cheat on tests to lying about his background to his employer to keep his job and he is enabled to do so by another lawyer who's motto is 'the end justifies the means'.
Great transformation from felony to just misdemeanor I guess.

incarcerated
06-30-2011, 16:58
I don't quit see that. So he goes from selling drugs and being paid to cheat on tests to lying about his background to his employer to keep his job and he is enabled to do so....

When did my boss get his own TV show?

Sigaba
06-30-2011, 17:36
I don't quiet see that. So he goes from selling drugs and being paid to cheat on tests to lying about his background to his employer to keep his job and he is enabled to do so by another lawyer who's motto is 'the end justifies the means'.
Great transformation from felony to just misdemeanor I guess.QP PRB--

I reckon that the key question that the show will answer is: Has Ross escaped justice or has he just temporarily evaded it?

MOO, since Suits is a drama, the answer is the latter.* We've already seen his grandmother disapproval, his personal life fall apart, his understanding that he's thrown away an incredible future, his recognition that he is ultimately unworthy of Zane, and his understanding that he's still at risk of being exposed as a fraud. This is to say that Ross may not end up in prison, he's going to pay.**

PSM
06-30-2011, 18:01
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2011/06/26/marriage-ref-contestant-blames-seinfeld-for-divorce/?test=latestnews

I just have to say the proof is in the television (pudding so to speak). Like most of the now older group on here, I grew up watching television like "Rawhide"; "Maverick"; "Roy Rogers"; "Have gun Will Travel"; "The Virginian"; "High Chaparral"; "The Lone Ranger"; etc. Then there was "12 O'Clock High"; "The Rat Patrol"; "Combat"; "Hogan's Heroes"; and even "F Troop". These were all shows that could infuse a young boy with a sense of adventure, fair play, honor and that the good guy usually won in the end. These were the popular shows back then.

Having grown up on cattle ranches in the Texas panhandle and New Mexico, it makes me ask; where have the cowboys gone, and what will our kids be bitching about their grand-kids watching in 20 - 30 years?

To paraphrase a radio show I listen to when in Arizona, "America was better off when its television programs were about cowboys instead of lawyers."

Pat

p.s.: I can already hear the naysayers galloping in.

PRB
06-30-2011, 18:09
To paraphrase a radio show I listen to when in Arizona, "America was better off when its television programs were about cowboys instead of lawyers."

Pat

Yup

rdret1
06-30-2011, 20:28

Pat

Speaking of which, I finally broke down and watched the new version of "True Grit". I almost turned it off when they stole the first scene from "Hang 'Em High." It turned out ok, but it wasn't The Duke.

PSM
06-30-2011, 20:41
Speaking of which, I finally broke down and watched the new version of "True Grit". I almost turned it off when they stole the first scene from "Hang 'Em High." It turned out ok, but it wasn't The Duke.

To your above list, I would add The Rifleman.

Pat

wet dog
06-30-2011, 23:40
The mind also changes. Remember Marty Stoufer, (SP), Mutual of Omaha Animal Kingdom, both shows showed slow action, quiet stalks, quiet narratives, etc.? Today, the channel would be changed because it "moves to slow". Point-click and instant gratification is here to stay.

Seseme Street, Telletubbies, (which from the point of many educators) is quite good for the 3-6 year olds. Repeated stories, repeated vinettes, etc., who has not held a small child and when the story book is finished, they say, "read it again."

Sesame Street held attention for 8-12 seconds, Barney changed the theme or image every 4-6 seconds with a jump, laugh, gag, image change.

We're doomed.....

Think I'll start teaching brain tanning and flint knapping to little kids.

wet dog
06-30-2011, 23:55

Pat

The Lone Ranger was both. Law enforcement by reason, gun and sometimes by recruiting the locals to handle their own problems.

Law shows are closely drawn from human interest stories, which is by definition "drama".

Edited: The Lone Ranger wore a Cowboy hat, but he was never a cowboy, but he did ride a horse, and had a local asset in Tonto.

SFC Donnell
07-01-2011, 18:41
Music starts

"Mommas don't let your babies grow up to be Lawyers,
Make em be Cowboys, Bikers, Soldiers and such...."

Music ends

Sorry! I couldn't help it.:)

I believe that the current batch of youths will be just fine. While I was in Iraq my Daughter signed up for high school USMC JROTC, I was both proud as well as concerned. No she did not run off to join the Marines when she turned 18, she is in college one year ahead of her peers because she took college level classes while in high school. Good kid and no I did not put her up to any of it. Hard working, studious, and patriotic. She and her peers are as good a generation as any.

kgoerz
07-01-2011, 19:21
If you have not hooked up on a XBOX 360. You are missing out. Between Zune, Netflix and HULU. I don't watch regular TV anymore. It's nice not having someone else deciding whats appropriate.

wet dog
07-01-2011, 19:28
Music starts

"Mommas don't let your babies grow up to be Lawyers,
Make em be Cowboys, Bikers, Soldiers and such...."

Music ends

Some of my closest friends are bikers, strippers and ex-cons.

Coincidentally, my children think they're family and call them, "Uncle Jimmy", "Aunt Cindy" and "Stabs".

nmap
07-01-2011, 21:23
We're doomed.....

I think so.

Think I'll start teaching brain tanning and flint knapping to little kids.

You might be doing them a tremendous favor.