PDA

View Full Version : Which route should I take for reenlistment?

BrowningFan
06-25-2011, 15:07
Gentlemen --

I have searched here and the www but not found anything particularly relevant to my situation. If I missed it please point me in the right direction.

As is noted in my bio, I am on IRR until September. I want to go back in the SF route, but am not sure how I should go about it. I know right now I am not physically ready for SFAS. Here are my options as I see them:

Re-enlist NG with my current MOS, drill for a while until I'm ready, then drop a packet. I think this may be the way to go as I have/had a clearance but I think the supporting investigations are expired, so I could ensure that I am good to go in that area before I hit the pipeline.

This is contingent on whether or not I could avoid completely starting over. If I start the process on IRR, could I finish it before my release date, and if not, would I have to start all over? If I cannot get re-enlisted in time and would have to start all over I may as well just wait and go directly pipeline when I am ready.

Re-enlist NG for SF, though I'm not sure that will give me time to train up. Another issue here is I am not near any SF units. The closest is San Antonio which is 2.5 hours away and my understanding is they are not taking non-Qualified guys.

Any options I am missing? I need to take action now, but I want to focus my efforts where I would get maximum benefit as I do not have time to waste going down a dead end road.

Thank you in advance for any time you give this.

adidasboy1186
06-25-2011, 17:27
Honestly, your nearest SF recruiter will be able to give you the best advice.

BrowningFan
06-25-2011, 21:30
I was actually planning to call one Monday, but wanted to get another opinion / source. A recruiter has an agenda, whereas the regulars on here don't and have demonstrated to me that they can be pretty much be taken on their word. I've put myself in a tough spot, just trying to find the best way out. Thanks for the tip.

wet dog
06-25-2011, 23:05
Enlist/In service transfer to the SF NG. Serve in any way you can. Drop a packet for pre-SF training, listen to the cadre, assist the admins in obtaining required documentation, seve your unit, city/town, state, country.

Get physically prepared, but more than that, get the right mind set.