PDA

View Full Version : If you could...

sapperdoc
06-16-2011, 08:51
If you could go back in time and tell yourself something when you were a private, what advice would you give yourself as a health care provider?

11Ber
06-16-2011, 09:44
Given that this is in the 18D section, let's begin by saying that no 18D is a private. Many 18D were grunts when they were privates. That being said, some things I have noticed from going down to the FST when there are certain issues and being around a lot of E1-E4 68W, which I am guessing you are, include:

1. Always seek a higher medical authority does not mean take your brain out and only be reactive. If a PT is in pain, go find a MD or someone who can Rx meds.

2. Know how to take constructive criticism..especially if that bearded guy in civ clothes with a Glock out ranks you.

3. Take every chance to learn or perform a new procedure. I have seen 68W be asked by a surgeon if they want to put in a chest tube or art line and say no then go back to charting. A hunger for education is what makes you a good medic/HCP.

adal
06-16-2011, 17:59
I would say "Self. Did you read the rules? Are you applying yourself to SA or just asking random questions? Are you ears open and mouth shut? Are you really dedicated to being here?" Then I would make myself do PT. Oh yeah. I was a PV2 91B then 18D, now Captain/Paramedic that still asks myself those questions.

DDD
06-16-2011, 18:12
I would say "Self. Did you read the rules? Are you applying yourself to SA or just asking random questions? Are you ears open and mouth shut? Are you really dedicated to being here?" Then I would make myself do PT. Oh yeah. I was a PV2 91B then 18D, now Captain/Paramedic that still asks myself those questions.

91B? You're OLD:cool: I was teaching on Ft Bliss last year and mentioned I had been a 91B....Blank stares, had to explain, felt Very Old:boohoo

X2 on the PT thing, personally happy with everything else. Could have studied more, but I'll bet everyone thinks that.;)

adal
06-16-2011, 20:38
Since you and I were "there" together and I used you as a "mentor" AND you called me old, that makes you older (I know, don't shoot me-or stab me with your vast knife collection).
My comments were actually made towards the young'en that asks a question with his first post. :cool:

swatsurgeon
06-17-2011, 22:35
Given that this is in the 18D section, let's begin by saying that no 18D is a private. Many 18D were grunts when they were privates. That being said, some things I have noticed from going down to the FST when there are certain issues and being around a lot of E1-E4 68W, which I am guessing you are, include:

1. Always seek a higher medical authority does not mean take your brain out and only be reactive. If a PT is in pain, go find a MD or someone who can Rx meds.

2. Know how to take constructive criticism..especially if that bearded guy in civ clothes with a Glock out ranks you.

3. Take every chance to learn or perform a new procedure. I have seen 68W be asked by a surgeon if they want to put in a chest tube or art line and say no then go back to charting. A hunger for education is what makes you a good medic/HCP.

Now there is a person with answers I would certainly respect as the teaching surgeon....nice:D

Adal, if DDD did use such instruments, the one he wouldn't be using (me either) is a certain collaboration folder from Ken Brock...but then you would be able to provide self aid because of all you did learn by watching, asking questions and getting your hands 'dirty' by seeking higher level training:lifter
ss

adal
06-17-2011, 22:47
SS,
Amen. DDD did teach me quite a bit. He may not have known it at the time but he did.....

adal

Eagle5US
06-18-2011, 09:53
If you could go back in time and tell yourself something when you were a private, what advice would you give yourself as a health care provider?
Dude-
Rude the damn rules. How many times do we have to tell you people to read the damn rules...

Future 18D? Not if you can't follow instructions.

Don't post questions that have no point or purpose other than to suck bandwidth.

Just don't post anymore for awhile is even better. Other than the post you were INSTRUCTED TO when you received your welcome message for PS.Com.

sheesh:rolleyes: