PDA

View Full Version : Bedford Front Page News

Buffalobob
06-13-2011, 06:52
My wife, daughter, and I went up to Bedford Pa. to canoe the Juniata River with a group of people. Bedford is a sleepy little town there in the mountains without much contact with the outside world so it takes very little to make the front page of the local newspaper, which the three of us managed to do. In packing the gear for the trip it seems that the male member of the household could not distinguish between a light gray bag of tent poles and a dark gray bag of tent poles and packed the wrong poles for one of the tents. The family trying to solve the ensuing dilemma without bloodshed was the most exciting thing to happen in Bedford that day and we got our picture right there on the front page of the newspaper.

The final outcome was happy being as the poles were too long and once one section was eliminated they were just right and the tent withstood two rains.

Pete
06-13-2011, 08:05
Tags. I got many moving pieces so I tag mine.

D2 used one of the smaller tents for a weekend trip she took one time. I went to use that tent about 1 year later. Being me, of course I set it up in the front yard - just to be sure - where I found out both poles had a number of broken tips. Asked D2 about it and she said she never noticed when she took it down.

As a side note - I checked on line for replacement poles. Cost plus shippig exceeded the cost of running down to Dick's and getting a new tent. So we got a newer, bigger tent for the same amount as the replacement poles.

fng13
06-13-2011, 19:01
My wife, daughter, and I went up to Bedford Pa. to canoe the Juniata River with a group of people. Bedford is a sleepy little town there in the mountains without much contact with the outside world so it takes very little to make the front page of the local newspaper, which the three of us managed to do. In packing the gear for the trip it seems that the male member of the household could not distinguish between a light gray bag of tent poles and a dark gray bag of tent poles and packed the wrong poles for one of the tents. The family trying to solve the ensuing dilemma without bloodshed was the most exciting thing to happen in Bedford that day and we got our picture right there on the front page of the newspaper.

The final outcome was happy being as the poles were too long and once one section was eliminated they were just right and the tent withstood two rains.

Haha I don't know if I should take that as an insult or a compliment :p

Glad you could enjoy some of what my hometown has to offer, wish I would have known would have been nice to meet a member of this forum.

It definitely doesn't take much to make the paper around here. :D

Ret10Echo
06-13-2011, 19:26
Given what makes the front page in most other locations...I think it is compliment that it doesn't take much to make the front page in the Gazette. Who needs to know more than how the races turned out Friday night...or when OIP has a special :D

fng13
06-13-2011, 21:16
Given what makes the front page in most other locations...I think it is compliment that it doesn't take much to make the front page in the Gazette. Who needs to know more than how the races turned out Friday night...or when OIP has a special :D

I see you are familiar as well ;) however you forgot to mention the most important piece of info here....the dairy queen.

You must have lived in "Befert" to know all that. :D

BryanK
09-09-2011, 10:40
From the pictures in the paper, it kinda reminds me of Green Ridge State Forest in MD. By the way, is that mock 1800's town still in Bedford ( I went when I was a kid :) )??

fng13
09-09-2011, 12:02
From the pictures in the paper, it kinda reminds me of Green Ridge State Forest in MD. By the way, is that mock 1800's town still in Bedford ( I went when I was a kid :) )??

Old Bedford village is still operational. As is the old Ft. Bedford museum.

Ret10Echo
09-09-2011, 19:09

Some of the structures are period...but relocated to the site. Plenty going on through the year if you wander up from Muzzleloading shows to re-enactments.

The visitor's bureau now has a iPod download for the walking tour as well...(here (http://www.visitbedfordcounty.com/videotour/index.html))

Flight 93 Memorial is right down Rte 30...

Fall foliage festival upcoming in October...

River is extremely high right now...

BryanK
09-10-2011, 07:41
Some of the structures are period...but relocated to the site. Plenty going on through the year if you wander up from Muzzleloading shows to re-enactments.

The visitor's bureau now has a iPod download for the walking tour as well...(here (http://www.visitbedfordcounty.com/videotour/index.html))

Flight 93 Memorial is right down Rte 30...

Fall foliage festival upcoming in October...

River is extremely high right now...

Thank you for the information! Now that I know it's all still there, I'll be taking my son when I get back CONUS next year :lifter . I was unaware of the other activities though. Sounds like fun!