PDA

View Full Version : Incoming!

PSM
06-08-2011, 19:25
(CBS News)

Seventy-seven Air Force cadets are being sent to a local hospital after a lightning strike at the Camp Shelby Joint Forces Training Center near Hattiesburg, Miss. While there did not appear to be serious injuries, two of the cadets were taken by amdulance to the hospital, while the other 75 rode in busses.

The Army said in a press release that the soldiers were being taken in for "medical evaluation" following the strike around 2 p.m. Four personnel were in close vicinity to the strike but were still "responsive and in stable condition," the release said.

Read more: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/06/08/national/main20070184.shtml#ixzz1Ojn10674

Pat

Texas_Shooter
06-08-2011, 19:32
What were they even doing out there in the middle of a field during a lightning storm? Someone is getting in trouble.

Scimitar
06-08-2011, 19:39
"Air Force cadets"
"The Army said the soldiers..."

What?

S

alright4u
06-08-2011, 20:23
What were they even doing out there in the middle of a field during a lightning storm? Someone is getting in trouble.

Is it policy to cancel due to weather now?

Texas_Shooter
06-08-2011, 20:35
Is it policy to cancel due to weather now?

Because canceling the event would make sense.

XJWoody
06-08-2011, 21:25
Not a met. guy, but one who believes he was struck by lightning... "Just driving down the road, minding my own, when "Ka_Booom!!!" :eek: Flash to Bang time was zero, truck engine cut off, hands flew off the wheel, weird metallic taste, (hair may have been standing up - I dunno, I keep it pruned) all-around a bad deal going on. It may have been a really near miss too? There was no evidence on the truck exterior of lightning strike... Regardless, it was an eye-opener.

Despite training, precautions, avoidance, mitigation, etc...sometimes there is an 'unlucky' person(s) that gets the extra attention. Sounds to me like that crowd at JRTC got really lucky.

The NC Sandhills get pretty active around & past 3 PM from May-September. What can one do? Reschedule everything outdoors due to a 'maybe gonna getcha?'

Texas_Shooter
06-08-2011, 21:37
My only thing is that I have friends that went to Field Training this summer and I just hope none of them were among the 77. Its ROTC to by the way. They go to JFTC after being at Maxwell AFB for two weeks.

Utah Bob
06-09-2011, 08:51
"Air Force cadets"
"The Army said the soldiers..."

What?

S

To the news media everything in camo is a soldier.

Except hunters. They're just evil.:rolleyes: