PDA

View Full Version : The Pentagon's New Map

Sweetbriar
09-04-2004, 19:50
On CSPAN now, repeats at 11 PM Eastern. Very fast paced and will either save you the price of his book or interest you in it. Very animated powerpoint.

The Pentagon's New Map
National Defense University
Fort McNair
Washington, District of Columbia (United States)
ID: 182105 - 06/02/2004 - 2:41 - $24.95

Barnett, Thomas P. M., Professor, U.S. Naval War College

In a three-hour Power Point presentation Professor Barnett takes a global perspective that integrates political, economic and military elements in a model for the post-September 11 world. He argues that terrorism and globalization have combined to end the great-power model of war that has developed over 400 years, since the Thirty Years War. Instead, he divides the world into an increasingly expanding "Functioning Core" of economically developed, politically stable states integrated into global systems and a "Non-Integrating Gap," the most likely source of threats to U.S. and international security. Professor Barnett uses this map to call for a new system for deployment of the U.S. armed forces.

Professor Barnett is the author of The Pentagon's New Map: War and Peace in the Twenty-First Century, published by Putnam Publishing Group. In the book he described the changing natures of war, security, and foreign policy in the post-Cold War era. He explained a theory of the effects of globalization that combines security, economic, political, and cultural factors to forecast future military needs. He also uses autobiographical elements to explain the behind the scenes workings of the Pentagon and how his PowerPoint presentation has been used.

Footmobile
09-04-2004, 20:27
[QUOTE=Sweetbriar] In a three-hour Power Point presentation....... QUOTE]

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I've got the book and I liked it. But, ..... a three hour PP presentation would put my ass to sleep! :D

Sweetbriar
09-04-2004, 21:13
I doubt this one will. If you don't get CSPAN, I believe you can get it streamed online during the broadcast. He is brilliant and lively... and there is lots of animation and sound effects if the content can't hold your attention. :p

Footmobile
09-04-2004, 21:25
Uuh Uuh.. Jarhead like animation.... :D

Footmobile
09-04-2004, 21:29
I'm looking on C-Span now, what is it under?

Sweetbriar
09-04-2004, 23:52
Home page, lower middle, "Live feeds".

NousDefionsDoc
09-05-2004, 08:59
While I don't agree with his every classification, I really like Barnett's concept here.

Sweetbriar
09-05-2004, 14:43
Monday's CSPAN3 schedule (http://inside.c-spanarchives.org:8080/cspan/fullschedule.csp?timeid=211961205487)

"Hanoi Hannah" on Vietnam
C-SPAN Abroad
Hanoi (Vietnam)
ID: 26204 - 04/25/1992 - 0:21 - $29.95

Trinh, Ngo Thi, Correspondent, Hanoi, Vietnam

Ngo Thi Trinh, who called herself "Hanoi Hannah," when she broadcast radio programs in Vietnam during the Vietnam War, discussed her activities during the war and the present state of her country.

Sweetbriar
10-20-2004, 09:37
CSPAN now has the video archived if you wanted to see it but didn't.

Click (http://www.c-span.org/search/basic.asp?ResultStart=1&ResultCount=10&BasicQueryText=Thomas+Barnett&image1.x=24&image1.y=10)