Box
06-02-2011, 23:12
I had really crappy day...
...but then I realized:

http://www.you.co.za/articles/Celebs/After-25-years-no-more-Oprah

...things are looking up!

mojaveman
06-02-2011, 23:49
Ellen DeGeneres or Tyra Banks as replacements? And who the heck is Noeleen Maholwana-Sangqu? I guess I don't have to worry about it much because I never watched her show anyway. :p

Dusty
06-03-2011, 04:59
Most people don't comprehend the negative effect Oprah has had on the US in general.

Barbarian
06-03-2011, 06:02
And now the world is a slightly better place.

greenberetTFS
06-03-2011, 06:06
Most people don't comprehend the negative effect Oprah has had on the US in general.
http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/fusion/editor/smilie.gif

Really a good point Dusty,she (mostly Gals) see her as some kind of guru that her following seems to think that the sun sets and dies in her ass.......:p

Big Teddy :munchin

Pete
06-03-2011, 06:06
Has anybody watched anything on OWN?

Not me - then again I didn't watch her show anyway. Just one of a long list of shows I don't/didn't watch.

uplink5
06-03-2011, 06:22
[url]
Really a good point Dusty,she (mostly Gals) see her as some kind of guru that her following seems to think that the sun sets and dies in her ass.......:p

Big Teddy :munchin

Oh, that was the sun setting? I thought those were gerbils (or any other type of furry critters) trying to escape, thanks for clearing this up for me...:D

Dusty
06-03-2011, 06:59
The only thing Oprah was good for was to serve as the butt of Eddie Murphy jokes.

akv
06-03-2011, 09:54
Is all of this fair to Dianna Waterman's Angus cow?

steel71
06-03-2011, 10:08

You might as well include most TV shows and Movies.

The Reaper
06-03-2011, 10:58
Big Teddy, that reminds me of someone? hmmm, who could it be?
Oh, that's right!!!

Please elaborate.

TR

The Reaper
06-03-2011, 11:13
It was a joke, TR. Big Teddy remarks on how Oprah's fans are so crazy about her. I don't see a whole lot of difference between that and Wayne's fans.

Then I am not sure you get it here. That is not a joke to me.

You need to do some research on what the Duke and his company, BATJAC Productions did for SF.

He made USO tours supporting the troops in WWII, Korea, and Vietnam. When he visited the Teams, he stayed with them.

He also went out on a limb and made a movie supporting us when doing so was not cool.

If you look at most of the later photos of John Wayne, he is wearing a brass bracelet which is Montagnard. He was visiting SF in a war zone when he got that. He also wore the bracelet of a POW/MIA during the VN War and corresponded with the wife and son of the MIA.

If you think that makes him Oprah like, maybe you are missing more than you think.

Deeds, not words.

TR

The Reaper
06-03-2011, 11:20
Whatever you say, as usual TR. :munchin

Wow.

No time for the troops though, eh?

TR

Sigaba
06-03-2011, 12:08
Entire post.Interestingly, the unattributed description of Ms. Winfrey's charitable works spends as much time discussing Ms. Winfrey as it does her charitable works. IMO, this habit of endless self-promotion calls into question her motivation and, ultimately, her ethics. See what a wonderful person I am? See how much I "give back"? Aren't I wonderful? Check under your chairs for a 'free' gift! Love me, love me, love me!

(The claim that she "exclusively" runs the Oprah Winfrey Foundation is simply bizarre.)

If nothing else, Ms. Winfrey's popularity demonstrates how far America has to go in working on some bigger issues. The fact that so many Americans find her the best choice of a role model indicates that there are too few choices.

The Reaper
06-03-2011, 12:28
wow. Just . wow.

She makes an obscene amount of money, tries to give back to community and charity --- and you're nitpicking over how, why and what her motivations are? Really?

JEzuz.

Must be difficult to be perfect. Is it a heavy burden?

I don't know.

You took a cheap shot at John Wayne, who I consider to have been be very supportive of my friends and I in uniform. Much of it very low-profile, and without self-aggrandizement.

You then used Oprah as a comparison, who is apolitical, except for her undying love of President/Candidate Obama. She has done little, if anything for the soldiers who guarantee her freedoms, and her favorite charity seems to be herself.

Does that make you morally superior somehow?

What, did she give you a car?

TR

Richard
06-03-2011, 12:36
I'd marry her...unless she demanded a prenup. ;)

Richard :munchin

1stindoor
06-03-2011, 12:48
I'd marry her...unless she demanded a prenup. ;)

Richard :munchin

In a church? Swear to gawd?

Sigaba
06-03-2011, 13:10
Entire post.Exploring the "why" behind the "what" is at the foundation of Western civilization. This exploration centers around the belief that virtuous acts require virtuous intent. Or so I was taught at a liberal public university in California in a lit class taught by a feminist. (I would be thrashed by her if she could see the use of passive verbal constructions by me in this post.)

Were I an admirer of Ms. Winfrey's, rather than centering my defense of her around snark and a slap-dash mosh of press releases, I'd have found and posted a quote or two explaining her philosophy that links philanthropy to celebrity. And/or I would have developed an argument that there was little difference between Ms. Winfrey and other capitalists turned philanthropists like Bill Gate or Andrew Carnegie. And/or I would have situated her philanthropy within the historical contexts of urban boosterism, African American culture, or the psychological make up of survivors of incest and sexual abuse.

Dusty
06-03-2011, 13:19
That would be if I was a "fan" of Ms. Winfrey's and if I had entered into this post with the intention of defending her philanthropic tendencies, which I did not, as the "slap dash" was merely a result of a quick reply to others busily lauding her retirement as a relief.

I was merely pointing out, that she has taken the enormous obscene wealth that she has acquired and attempted to do what most people would refer to as "good."

I could give a flying rat's ass what her motivations were. If she fed babies because she wanted a pretty picture for the media of her feeding babies...the damn kid still got fed. Which is a hell of a lot more than a lot of people do.

Somebody got a free Grand Am, didn't they? ;)

Dozer523
06-03-2011, 13:42
Were I an admirer of Ms. Winfrey's, rather than centering my defense of her around snark and a slap-dash mosh of press releases, I'd have found and posted a quote or two explaining her philosophy that links philanthropy to celebrity. And/or I would have developed an argument that there was little difference between Ms. Winfrey and other capitalists turned philanthropists like Bill Gate or Andrew Carnegie. And/or I would have situated her philanthropy within the historical contexts of urban boosterism, African American culture, or the psychological make up of survivors of incest and sexual abuse.
But you didn't. It's Friday and there is a Hooters on Colorado St and the beer is cold andthe waitresses are . . .

akv
06-03-2011, 13:43
She makes an obscene amount of money, tries to give back to community and charity --- and you're nitpicking over how, why and what her motivations are? Really?

Oprah's marketing power is undeniable, she is a world class businesswoman. Her philanthropic contributions are to her credit as well. I don't watch her show regularly. Perhaps initially the locus was insightful social commentary and discussion, but the handful of occasions a significant other has forced me to watch the show, I learned what Oprah's favorite hamburger was, the book she is trying to plug this week, and her propensity for giving away toasters and the like. She is bright and successful, and her power is, for some reason many an American woman values her opinion on all sorts of things, it can't just be the money, because Donald Trump has some similar traits, and most people could care less what he likes to eat, or what superficial topic he is paying lip service to this week. IMO, these two are a closer comparison.

John Wayne was also an entertainer, but to me the similarities end there. I am definitely biased here, perceptions change with society and time, he was the quintessential American male icon worldwide for a very longtime. Like most actor's he played himself, but the recurring themes were consistent, I drew from his performances that American men should be tough, fair, and honest individuals. Maybe I am one of these crazies you mention, but I would not discount the power of symbols. From time to time watching "Big Jake", or "The Searchers" reinforces the values expressed.

I would not be the first man to confess ignorance of the fairer sex, to me someone like Condi Rice would seem an excellent role model for American women, but it seems she isn't, while Oprah certainly is. I remain of the opinion John Wayne remains a very important symbol for American men who don't suffer manicures or squat to pee. ;)

Hand
06-03-2011, 14:13
But you didn't. It's Friday and there is a Hooters on Colorado St and the beer is cold andthe waitresses are . . .

ummmmmmmmm hot? :D

Dozer523
06-03-2011, 14:27
ummmmmmmmm hot? :DDid you know Hooters now have Drive Through Windows?

that is just retarded.

Sigaba
06-03-2011, 14:52
But you didn't. It's Friday and there is a Hooters on Colorado Blvd and the beer is cold and the waitresses are . . .That's because I'm not an admirer of Ms. Winfrey's. IMO, she, like Charlie Rose, has the habit of answering her own questions rather than allowing guests to speak for themselves.ummmmmmmmm hot? :DThey're unemployed--that Hooters closed in 2008. :(

Great wings were (and are) available across the street at the Hot Wings Cafe although the big screens are neither as numerous nor as, um, er, ample.

alright4u
06-04-2011, 16:34
Oprah is no John Wayne, Bob Hope , Ann Margaret, nor even close to"Maggie." I was a young 1LT in Dec 68 on New Year's Eve. Martha was coming to Omega/CCS.

I did not see her as an RT was in deep kimchie west of Duc Lap. I was ordered to lead an hatchet force to cover for them while they crossed the river through our position at night .I am glad our XO found/liberated my Smirnoff 90 silver as my fellow troopers loved that lady. I regret I missed her to this day. She was a special person to the guys getting shot at-not the brass.

A CSM on this board sent a photo of her when I missed her. I am glad he got to see her as a younger NCO. She was that special that a kid 22 year old male wanted to meet her.

God Bless.