PDA

View Full Version : D/A Knife Storage

swatsurgeon
06-02-2011, 20:45
To the blademasters out there, specifically the designer of the Lone Wolf D2....you know who you are :), but others can certainly answer.
Is is appropriate to store these knives in an open (fired) position or a closed position? Does the 'stress' of persistant tension on the auto mechanism weaken it's pressure release ability over time? Tried searching this one and found no answers relative to D/A's....
Any knowledgeable insight would be appreciated.
Thanks

ss

Ambush Master
06-02-2011, 21:23
Syd,

In my experience(s), I've found that "springs" tend to react to the following:

When compressed, as long as they are not subjected to numerous (mainly radical) temp changes, they are OK and degradation is minimal.

The same goes for the relaxed state.

Cycling will reduce their resiliency over time and even more so when at elevated temps.

I own some mags that are VERY old and they run just fine, some have been "loaded" on and off for a long time.

My only question/concern is what is the composition of the one in question?

Later
Martin

swatsurgeon
06-02-2011, 21:33
Martin,
Bill's D2, I believe it's a leaf spring system...he'd have to chime in to say for sure. I think you're describing a coil spring auto knife, no?
S

Ambush Master
06-02-2011, 21:38
Martin,
Bill's D2, I believe it's a leaf spring system...he'd have to chime in to say for sure. I think you're describing a coil spring auto knife, no?
S

Actually, the physics/metallurgy apply to all springs.

Later
Martin

swatsurgeon
06-02-2011, 22:43
ah...... I was thinking of a coiled spring (magazine or regular auto knife) not the leaf type....I guess that makes sense that the geometry of the spring won't influence the physics of it's function. Thanks Martin.

x SF med
06-03-2011, 08:28
Doc-
Why worry? If something goes wrong with it, send it back to the guy who designed it and have him fix it... while laughing at him for the failure in materials... what's the worst that could happen? Besides you being used for a target in a 3 gun match?
:D