PDA

View Full Version : Bulletin Board Upgrade Thread (ALL READ)

Team Sergeant
09-04-2004, 08:17
Post any perceived upgrade problems, questions & suggestions here!

(We hope you like the new look and if you don't, tough, we're not changing it back! :D)

Team Sergeant

Gypsy
09-04-2004, 08:50
I like it, I like it! ;)

I generally like to have my font a bit larger for reading purposes...so in my browser window I go to "View" and make my preferred change. With the upgrade, it doesn't seem to work. Any ideas?

Ambush Master
09-04-2004, 08:55
Same here. I'll look into the panel vand see if it's there.

Kyobanim
09-04-2004, 08:56
I like it, I like it! ;)

I generally like to have my font a bit larger for reading purposes...so in my browser window I go to "View" and make my preferred change. With the upgrade, it doesn't seem to work. Any ideas?

I'm going to take a guess and say it's because more of the functionality of this board, in it's upgraded state, is server side. Or it might have just been overlooked when the upgrade was written.

Gypsy
09-04-2004, 09:01

Thanks AM, my baby blues appreciate that!

Sweetbriar
09-04-2004, 09:04
My browser (Safari) has no problem increasing the the text size for reading, but I'm not seeing any post preview popup when I hover my cursor. Would that be a PC thing or maybe a firewall thing?

Also, (very small issue), why have some of the emoticons got grey faces now? They look as if they're holding their breaths and have turned blue! LOL

Edit: I clicked on more than one smilie, then they all turned blue, except for the gifs. Hmmm :cool:

NousDefionsDoc
09-04-2004, 09:14
Same here. My smilies are all yellow though. Only other problem I'm having is the page stpos loading sometimes when I move from one thing to another. I hit the refresh button and it finished loading. I'm thinking this is an ISP problem though.

All in all, very good upgrade.

NousDefionsDoc
09-04-2004, 09:19
Go to Tools, Internet Options, Accessibility and click Ignore Font sizes specified on pages - try that.

Team Sergeant
09-04-2004, 09:22
Go to Tools, Internet Options, Accessibility and click Ignore Font sizes specified on pages - try that.

YOU ARE THE MAN!

Ambush Master
09-04-2004, 09:25

Works here !!!!

Thanks NDD !!

NousDefionsDoc
09-04-2004, 09:30
LOL - NDD, Computer Geek! :lifter

alphamale
09-04-2004, 10:20
NDD, next: Cipher this vBulletin skin code...

(Old picture of 1 of 56 pages of code taken in a moment of frustration with a gratuitous knife shot :) )

Gypsy
09-04-2004, 10:26

Or Computer God! Thanks NDD!

Roycroft201
09-04-2004, 12:05
LOL!!

With the red, yellow and green color coding on the Private Messages page, I have absolutely NO excuse for having an inbox that is FULL !!

:D

Nice changes ! The site just gets better and better.

Roycroft201

DanUCSB
09-04-2004, 12:57
Question, TS: in the previous system, there was a little 'View Unread Posts' (or somesuch) button up in the top right-hand corner of the Forums page... is there any analogue in the new system? I used it a lot, was very handy. Or is there one, but I'm just missing it?

myclearcreek
09-04-2004, 13:07
The changes I have noticed are all very nice. Great job. NDD "Computer Geek", lol. It worked for me and I love viewing in larger font. Thank you.

Solid
09-04-2004, 13:10
Dan,
It's under the 'links' button at the top of every page. I had the same problem.

Solid

DanUCSB
09-04-2004, 13:40
Gracias, Solid. I knew it had to be here somewhere. :)

NousDefionsDoc
09-04-2004, 13:48
Removed. Double-tap. Damn computer.

Roger Dan, it was the computer! LOL. Better call Nick Burns

pulque
09-04-2004, 14:05
LOL!!

With the red, yellow and green color coding on the Private Messages page, I have absolutely NO excuse for having an inbox that is FULL !!

:D

RC201, in addition to that you now have the option of downloading all of your messages in three different formats with ease! Anytime your inbox is 1/2 full, you can archive your correspondence.

I have not checked yet if this tool will also archive the sent-box.

*edit: yes the tool will archive whichever folder is open at the time.

Sweetbriar
09-04-2004, 15:12
Downloading PMs is great! Thanks!

The Smilies have all got colorful faces now, but the post icons are all grey now, at least as I look below. Don't know if they show up in color later on.

Roycroft201
09-04-2004, 16:48
Aaahhh, Pulque, my friend (if I may call you that). You have much too much faith in my abilities.

"RC201, in addition to that you now have the option of downloading all of your messages in three different formats with ease! Anytime your inbox is 1/2 full, you can archive your correspondence.

I have not checked yet if this tool will also archive the sent-box.

*edit: yes the tool will archive whichever folder is open at the time."

I must admit, here in public, that I am slightly technologically impaired. LOL !

Soooo, Will someone HELP ME ???

Due to my PM overload problem, I tried today to download one of my PM's as a test. (N.B.: I downloaded it as TXT.) It did download successfully (my computer told me "download complete" ). So, I went to Download Manager in my File options, clicked on "download manager" and it's NOT THERE ! Where did it go ?

To any of my friends who wish to reply to this lady in distress (who will be in hot water if I don't unload my PM box pretty quick with this wonderful new option wshich I don't know HOW TO USE!!!) please walk me threw it step by step and ASSUME NOTHING regarding my level of computer knowledge (it's sad, needless to say.).

ALSO......VERY IMPORTANT TO NOTE: Be NOT AFRAID for the children in my classes ! I do NOT teach any computer science in my classes !! The children are SAFE in my care !! :D

Thank you !
Roycroft201

Dan
09-04-2004, 17:59
Soooo, Will someone HELP ME ???

Due to my PM overload problem, I tried today to download one of my PM's as a test. (N.B.: I downloaded it as TXT.) It did download successfully (my computer told me "download complete" ). So, I went to Download Manager in my File options, clicked on "download manager" and it's NOT THERE ! Where did it go ?

To answer your question: Start to do the download again (1.jpg) and select to save the file...a new window similiar to (2.jpg) will appear, now click the drop down menu and you will see exactly where it is at on your local HDD(3.jpg). This is will be similiar on any GUI OS.

For further explanation: Most browsers allow you to setup you browser's download manager to keep the file in it until you remove it personally. FireFox by Mozilla has one of the most no-nonsense download manager.

pulque
09-04-2004, 18:03
So, I went to Download Manager in my File options, clicked on "download manager" and it's NOT THERE ! Where did it go ?

Dear friend,

My download manager asks me where I would like to save the file, but it seems that yours automatically saves it somewhere. In this case, search for the text file, which is probably called privatemessages-Roycroft201-09-04-2004.txt

hope that helps, or that somebody will show up with more knowledge of your OS.

pulque

Sacamuelas
09-04-2004, 19:28
LOL
"The People" would be proud...

Sigi
09-05-2004, 06:40
Outstanding!

Thanks for the help, Solid. I was lost.

Love the upgrades. Everything looks absolutely great.

Bill Harsey
09-05-2004, 08:07
NDD, next: Cipher this vBulletin skin code...

(Old picture of 1 of 56 pages of code taken in a moment of frustration with a gratuitous knife shot :) ) FrontSight has a mean streak. Short story followed by question, When I was a kid there was no better target for rock throwin' than a yellow jackets nest hanging in a tree, the size was just right for a skill test and it was a reactive target. Not long ago I realized it had been a long time since I'd been stung by a yellowjacket, then I remembered, I'd quit throwing rocks at nests. I was going to ask how to get the "new posts" up but I'm going to keep exploring on my own. That may already have been answered somewhere.

alphamale
09-05-2004, 17:30
FrontSight has a mean streak. Nuh-uhhhh!! Sweet sweet sweet I am :) , despite those of you who try to VEX me! :glare:

I was going to ask how to get the "new posts" up but I'm going to keep exploring on my own.In the button top row, click on Links, then New Posts. The skin designer (not anyone on this board) goofed by not making that more in-your-face. People need that button more than any other.

Did some interaction design testing once on someone from a "black badge account", i.e., one where we weren't supposed to ask him about his job. The guy was not very verbal at all. I gave him the standard instructions ("Think out loud, tell me what you are trying to do...")

The only breadcrumb detectable was that when he was having trouble, his depth of breathing changed. He's sigh, and I'd say, "Could you elaborate on that?"

FrontSight

pulque
09-05-2004, 23:57

code hard, and well, for the people! :p

Brother Rat
09-06-2004, 19:37
Question, TS: in the previous system, there was a little 'View Unread Posts' (or somesuch) button up in the top right-hand corner of the Forums page... is there any analogue in the new system? I used it a lot, was very handy. Or is there one, but I'm just missing it?

For some reason, I still can't find it. I don't see it anywhere around the links button, and when I click on the links button, it doesn't take me anywhere. Maybe it's my computer?

Team Sergeant
09-06-2004, 19:54
For some reason, I still can't find it. I don't see it anywhere around the links button, and when I click on the links button, it doesn't take me anywhere. Maybe it's my computer?

Rat,

You're the second one today with that very same problem. We're working on the issue. I had the same thing happen to me for about 10 minutes today.

TS

Solid
09-06-2004, 20:04
Do you have a pop-up blocker active?

That might (might) be it. Otherwise maybe using this link will work?

here (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/search.php?searchid=728)

I hope it updates and isn't personalised. Just trying to think laterally.

HTH,

Solid

The Reaper
09-06-2004, 20:19
Rat,

You're the second one today with that very same problem. We're working on the issue. I had the same thing happen to me for about 10 minutes today.

TS

I was getting somewhat of a frozen panel when it "found no matches" to my request to view new posts.

I had to use the Back button on my toolbar to get to the Home Page, from there it worked fine.

For me, it just happens when there are no new posts.

I can also cannot refresh the screen to get new posts, I have to manually click on the New Posts link.

TR

Pandora
09-06-2004, 20:43
Use CTRL+F5. It is a true forced refresh that will bypass internal and server caches.

Just tested on this thread and that should fix you up, Sir.

Dan
09-06-2004, 20:51

Do you allow JavaScript to run for this site?
What browser are you using and what version?

The Reaper
09-06-2004, 20:53
Use CTRL+F5. It is a true forced refresh that will bypass internal and server caches.

Just tested on this thread and that should fix you up, Sir.

Will see how it works when I am stuck.

Thanks!!

TR

Gypsy
09-06-2004, 21:07

Thanks Pandora, I was having the same "refresh" problem but that worked perfectly!

Brother Rat
09-07-2004, 17:39
Do you allow JavaScript to run for this site?
What browser are you using and what version?

I am using IE 5.2 for Mac. Not too sure about the whole JavaScript thing. How do I find out?

Sweetbriar
09-07-2004, 18:49
BrotherRat, Safari works beautifully with this board, but if you prefer IE click on Preferences and make sure Java is enabled.