PDA

View Full Version : M34 WP Grenade

JGarcia
09-04-2004, 01:05
I was perusing the digital library, looking at FM 3.23-25, I noticed that the M34 WP grenade is covered under Appendix E "Obsolete Hand Grenades"

"Although these grenades are no longer common to the US inventory, the majority of them are still in use by other services or nations."

Does this mean that as an infantry soldier we won't see these anymore?

"The M34 chemical smoke grenade is the most versatile of all hand grenades (Figure E-8). The grenade can be used for signaling, screening, or incendiary missions, or for producing casualties. The use of this grenade also has a psychological impact on the enemy."

That being the case, why did they do away with it? I didnt see any other WP hand grenades in the FM, although it does briefly refer to the M34's predecessor the M15. When I looked for a WP hand grenade on CALL2.army.mil there were several references to WP grenades, but none listed in the most recent studies of weapons effects, etc.

Do we not have a WP grenade in inventory anymore?

MAB32
09-04-2004, 14:13
A number of years ago (George senior's watch, I believe) the U.S. signed a "chemical" treaty/ban with some other countries. I believe that the USSR(called that at the time) was also a signer. Not only did it deal with the stockpiling, manufacture of, but it also banned the use of CS, CS1 CS2, CN, and DM(we banned this one ourselves back in the 60's) in war. In other words all chemicals used for crowd control. I do believe that WP was included based upon the fact that not only does it burn but if the smoke is inhaled it can/will cause "chemical" induced pneumonia and do something with the bones of the body. The 18D's here can shed allot more light on this than me.

IMHO, if we were able to use CS in the Iraqi and Afghanistan AO's then we might not have as many problems.

longrange1947
09-04-2004, 17:05
They were banned from carry on all my teams. They could not be thrown past the possible bursting radius and a burning piece of that stuff would burn through you unless you could keep oxygen away form it. Since blood contained oxygen it would have a field day. Say a guy burned to death by one of his own. They were best fired form the grenade launcher mod for the M14. Problem was if a round hit the blasted things they were a mess.

My opinion, let the games begin. :munchin

The Reaper
09-04-2004, 17:09
I'll be the odd man out.

Smoke and casualties from one munition. I love them.

Got to be a strong thrower, or use them from cover though.

Great for boobytraps, too. AFAIK, they are still in the inventory.

Army probably decided that they were too dangerous to issue to the troops.

Too bad, I bet Darwin would have loved them too.

TR

MAB32
09-04-2004, 20:41
SOG guys know everything there is to know about this device! :eek:

JGarcia
09-04-2004, 22:41
As MAB32 said, it must have something to do with a treaty, I can understand the Army doing away with them because Joe snuffy couldnt throw them far enough, but if that was the sole reason for getting rid of them I would imagine that the Army would field a lighter WP Grenade. From what I have read at center for army lessons learned it doesnt look like such a replacement is in the works.

Too bad.

Even when I checked for a WP round for the M203, the latest FM 3-22.31 lists no WP round in the ammunition section. A damned shame.

MAB32
09-04-2004, 22:52
When I became state certified as an instructor in "Chemical & Specialty Munitions" we were told that DM had been eliminated from the military's inventory. I later found out that this may not be completely true. The military(from what I am told; especially some NG units) does have DM/CN stockpiled as a "last resort" less-lethal option. However, anybody that knows anything about this stuff knows for a fact that DM in moderate doses will kill. So it wouldn't suprise me if we still have WP in one form or another locked up somewhere.

Huey14
09-04-2004, 23:23
I understand the British still have them, I'm not sure about us, but I can find out if anyone's interested.

longrange1947
09-05-2004, 11:35
Sorry TR - Still don't like them and my post should have read SAW a guy burn to death from one. That will definately color your view on carrying the dam things.

Heavy is an understatement for the weight of them. I was not the only team sgt to ban carring the things and a number of 10s also refused to carry them.

In basic, we had a demo of one WP grenade thrown, the guy was behind a wall and we could not see him after the explosion AND some of hte pieces landed by us. Nope do not like the dam things. Great for a launcher but not hand thrown.

Again my 2 cents. :munchin