PDA

View Full Version : North Sudan army takes control of border town Abyei

Pete
05-22-2011, 03:41
North Sudan army takes control of border town Abyei

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-13487864

"South Sudan is due to become independent in July, but Abyei is still claimed by both sides.

The northern Sudanese Army says it has taken control of Abyei, a contested area on the border with South Sudan.

Sudanese state television, based in Khartoum, said northern troops had "repelled enemy forces" in Abyei town. UN officials confirmed the development.

The move follows three days of clashes between northern and southern forces in the area......................"

glebo
05-22-2011, 17:49
Darn Pete....I guess no one gives a crap about Sudan.....come to think of it, I don't:D:D

I wonder where some of the folks are that we trained when we where there....prolly dead and buried..

Don't use the ice....CPT:D (Cosgrove, remember him??)

Pete
05-25-2011, 06:51
Sudan: Obama’s Next Middle Eastern Dilemma?

http://frontpagemag.com/2011/05/25/sudan-obama%E2%80%99s-next-middle-eastern-dilemma/

"While Obama has been concerning himself with Israel’s “unjust” borders, a Muslim Middle Eastern country launched a military offensive on the weekend to forcibly settle a border dispute that was to be decided peacefully by referendum.

Dozens of black African Sudanese were killed when the Arab and Muslim government of northern Sudan broke the 2005 George Bush-brokered Comprehensive Peace Agreement (CPA) that ended a 22-year civil war between North and South Sudan and launched a well-planned invasion of the disputed Abyei border region. Dozens of tanks, hundreds of troops and government warplanes were used in the attack that saw the capture of Abyei, a town bearing the region’s name, and villages bombed from the air. Thousand of Abyei residents, who, like most southern Sudanese, are predominantly Christian or animist, fled their homes in terror.............."

No blood for oil? The north seems to have no problem spilling blood for oil.

"....................According to the CPA, the oil-producing Abyei region was to have its own referendum last January to let its majority African Ngoc Dinka population decide whether to join the North or the South.

The referendum never took place – and probably was never intended to. The Arab North knew the Dinka would vote for joining the African South, since they had been so brutally treated by Arab forces during the last civil war. ...................."

Pete
05-30-2011, 10:14
Sudan: 150,000 flee Abyei clash, says southern minister

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-13572079

"The number of people displaced from Sudan's disputed Abyei region after its seizure by northern troops has reached 150,000, a southern minister says.

"The situation is terrible - they are running in fear from brutal violence, without shelter," Humanitarian Affairs Minister James Kok Ruea said.

The BBC's Peter Martell in Juba says the figure is a huge leap from UN estimates of between 30,000 and 40,000.

Meanwhile, the north says it can start talks on the crisis this weekend..............."

What was that somebody once said? Possession is 9/10ths of the law.

Looks like the north intends to drive off the majority of southern leaning voters.

Pete
06-10-2011, 11:14
Sudan: SPLA accuses Khartoum of bombing Unity State

I see the Blood for Oil land grab continues. Too bad nobody cares.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-13728718

"Sudan's military has bombed a village in an oil-rich southern region, southern officials say, as tensions increase ahead of the south's independence next month.

Three people were killed in the raid on Unity State, in a move to take control of the region's oil fields, the south's military spokesman said..............."

The story does offer the north's side....

".....If the south's fears are proved right, our correspondent says it is a worrying development as it could trigger wider north-south clashes.

But he says it is also possible that it could be an extension of the fighting in South Kordofan, with the north bombing pro-southern fighters who had crossed into South Sudan............"

Barbarian
06-10-2011, 13:43
Frickin' al-Bashir. Man, that's some sad, sad business.

Peteyboy
06-10-2011, 13:56
I didn't even know where to find Sudan on a map a few months ago, now I'm just learning about this north south crap. A guy really has to do his research to understand some of the threads on this page.:D

ObliqueApproach
06-11-2011, 13:01
I didn't even know where to find Sudan on a map a few months ago, now I'm just learning about this north south crap. A guy really has to do his research to understand some of the threads on this page.:D

Spent 10 days in Khartoum back in '05 and you don't know the half of it! Sometimes I thought I was in China with all the Chinese oil people running around!

Funny enough, most of the ministers are US educated from back before the coup of '89.

BTW, Slick Willy did hit a vet medicine factory. Tomahawk craters still there!:D

Pete
06-14-2011, 05:49
Sudan's Bashir and Kiir 'agree Abyei troop pull-out'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-13747039

"Sudan's President Omar al-Bashir and southern leader Salva Kiir have reportedly agreed to withdraw all troops from the disputed town of Abyei.

The northern seizure of the town last month sparked fears of renewed conflict, as the south prepares to secede in July.................."

The bit about South Kordofan is interesting. Claims of ethnic cleansing based on a number of things to include the vote.

Got to stand and look at the junction of the White and Blue Nile Rivers one time. Very, Very interesting. They continued for miles with the milky white water on the west and the light blue water on the east.