PDA

View Full Version : Deal with the VA

LarryW
05-18-2011, 08:34
FWIW, the link below is to the Disabled American Vets National Service Office (DAV-NSO) who extend free professional help and follow-up to veterans in dealing with the VA. NSO's also provide support to spouses and dependents. You do not need to be a member to gain this support. There are many other veterans organizations that also provide outstanding NSO service. (I don't know this for a fact, but bet the SF foundation provides superior NSO help.) I very strongly recommend vets in need of any kind of help with the VA (regardless of disability) to contact one of the many NSO's. You are not alone, and it's very important that you know that.

Thanks very much for your service.

http://www.dav.org/veterans/NSOffices.aspx

uplink5
05-18-2011, 09:19
FWIW, the link below is to the Disabled American Vets National Service Office (DAV-NSO) who extend free professional help and follow-up to veterans in dealing with the VA. NSO's also provide support to spouses and dependents. You do not need to be a member to gain this support. There are many other veterans organizations that also provide outstanding NSO service. (I don't know this for a fact, but bet the SF foundation provides superior NSO help.) I very strongly recommend vets in need of any kind of help with the VA (regardless of disability) to contact one of the many NSO's. You are not alone, and it's very important that you know that.

Thanks very much for your service.

http://www.dav.org/veterans/NSOffices.aspx

I've been waiting for my disability rating since it was submitted upon retirement on 1 March. I've been the recipient of many ailments and injuries over the years and while I wait for a rating, I know (or at least expect) it will be low-balled, at which time I'll start the appeal process. I did receive a letter the other day which informed me of the VA backlog which aggravated the ol'woman but, that's nothing unexpected either. I guess what does bother me the most is that while I'm in a good enough position to wait out this process until a settlement is reached, I know there must be a butt-load of fellas out there who are not and this must be a very stressful time for them having to endure this much of an extended wait-and-see period before settlement. On top of their physical and or psychological ailments, the waiting period for them must be rough. Wish there was more VA could do to speed it up, especially for them.

Thanks for the DAV link Larry, I suspect I'll be using it eventually and may need the number to a good attorney as well from what I'm hearing. :( Guess we'll continue to wait and see. :munchin…....jd

The Reaper
05-18-2011, 09:49
There is an AMVETS and a VFW rep at old Womack as VSOs to deal with VA claims. The Patient Advocate is your best friend when it comes to deal with the bureaucracy of the VA.

uplink, the good news for you is that the pay will be retroactive, so it is not like you will not get credit for the days of waiting. Could be a pretty nice check once it gets there. I did not feel lowballed when my claim was completed, but I have been back to get issues reviewed and further comp exams which resulted in additional disability. The results will be straight out of the manual. For example, limitation of X degrees of flex in the knee joint equals Y percentage of disability. The thing that confuses most people is the fact that the totals are not additive, and are based on a formula.

30% gets you hiring preference for Federal jobs. 50% will get free treatment for anything that is wrong with you. Much more than 80%, you probably don't want, as it means a serious compromise in your life style.

The key is getting as much as possible service connected, whether it is initially compensable or not. If it isn't SC, there will not ever be any compensation.

I would use the service reps and have thus far not had to retain legal representation.

TR

MiTTMedic
05-18-2011, 09:53
I usually come here & peruse as a sponge, but I'm honored to actually have information to assist.
After retiring, I took a position in a company that is contracted by the VA to assist them in Veteran claims. We are not allowed to represent ourselves as being associated with said company publically (civilian OPSEC, if you will).
We handle, literally, a gazillion claims for the VA. The ones that are processed the fastest, and normally are more squared away, are the ones being handled by the numerous Veteran Service Organizations. Not to slight any others, but the claims we see the most, and the ones that are the best prepared, come from DVA, Military Order of the Purple Heart, and Texas Veterans' Association.

All VSO's operate free of charge. They will write your claim language in "VA-speak" in order to get things expedited efficiently. They are trained to be your advocate, and they do it well. ACAP facilities can give you contact info for the majority of the VSO's. I'm sure the QP's have a VSO, but I have not come across any claims with that one.

Folks, bottom line:
* DO NOT PROCESS YOUR CLAIM ON YOUR OWN!!!! Does not matter if it's your initial claim, or a subsequent one.
* Come prepared to your meeting with your VSO. Bring your copy of your medical records...Military & Civilian!
* Funny, petty sticking point is that if you have a spouse with prior marrriages, bring their wedding & divorce dates. Not having it will slow your claim.
* Contact your VSO for guidance BEFORE your physical. They will tell you how to present yourself for the physician. They will not, however, teach you how to bruise your integrity during your exam.
* Be patient. These things take time.

If you have questions of me, please ask. My experience is with the claims portion, not the determination part, but If I can help, I will. I tend to shoot straight.

The Reaper
05-18-2011, 10:43
One more bit of advice.

Stop hiding your injuries, avoiding sick call, and taking complaints out of your medical records, well before you retire.

If there is no record of having been seen for a complaint, it can be very hard to establish service connection upon retirement.

Word to the wise.

TR

MiTTMedic
05-18-2011, 11:05
Please see attached. It'll answer the "how much is this worth" question. Hope it helps. It's old, but current.

I have the table on my computer at home that makes some sense of the VA's Irish Math they use when adding up all your claims. I'll send it later.

kgoerz
05-18-2011, 14:13
I've been waiting for my disability rating since it was submitted upon retirement on 1 March. I've been the recipient of many ailments and injuries over the years and while I wait for a rating, I know (or at least expect) it will be low-balled, at which time I'll start the appeal process. I did receive a letter the other day which informed me of the VA backlog which aggravated the ol'woman but, that's nothing unexpected either. I guess what does bother me the most is that while I'm in a good enough position to wait out this process until a settlement is reached, I know there must be a butt-load of fellas out there who are not and this must be a very stressful time for them having to endure this much of an extended wait-and-see period before settlement. On top of their physical and or psychological ailments, the waiting period for them must be rough. Wish there was more VA could do to speed it up, especially for them.

Thanks for the DAV link Larry, I suspect I'll be using it eventually and may need the number to a good attorney as well from what I'm hearing. :( Guess we'll continue to wait and see. :munchin…....jd

I just did a re look. Been retired almost five years. It was pretty easy process. Got my rating doubled. The one thing they denied is the one thing that really bothers me. Ill appeal it and get another look.

kcphoenix
05-22-2011, 12:19
Gentlemen:
You would be entitled to the CRSC [Combat Related Special Compensation] once you've retired as well if your disability rating is less than 100%. If you need any assistance on this front, please let me know, I'd be glad to help. I've drawn up and processed hundreds of them.

Just wanted to ensure you all knew of this program because you've certainly earned the benefits it provides! :)

v/r,
Kassie

Team Sergeant
05-22-2011, 12:20
Gentlemen:
You would be entitled to the CRSC [Combat Related Special Compensation] once you've retired as well if your disability rating is less than 100%. If you need any assistance on this front, please let me know, I'd be glad to help. I've drawn up and processed hundreds of them.

Just wanted to ensure you all knew of this program because you've certainly earned the benefits it provides! :)

v/r,
Kassie

Please tell me how to change the account that my CRSC is currently going into? :rolleyes:

kcphoenix
05-22-2011, 13:19
CRSC is deposited to the same account where you receive your retired pay or direct deposit. You can change that by logging into your myPay account or I can get you a phone number to call if you'd rather do it verbally or via mail.

https://mypay.dfas.mil/mypay.aspx

If they've got it screwed up somehow, you call 1-800-321-1080 to give them the correct account information.

uplink5
05-22-2011, 13:27
Gentlemen:

v/r,
Kassie

Actually, I had been told of this and I may take you up on that. Thanks....;)

TR,

I know that I may very well not be low-balled and I've heard others who just like you point out that they were reasonably compensated for their disabilities. I guess my concerns reflected more from the experiences by the naysayers than from the satisfied masses. Of course it's also reasonable to suspect that many of these naysayers dropped the ball themselves and were therefore left out. I'll continue to wait and see and hopre you're right.

Otherwise, is it reasonable to feel confident and cynical all at the same time? I seem to excel at that regarding this issue. Perhaps there’s a curmudgeon buried deep inside, trying to get out..:boohoo

Thanks to all and we'll update anything of relevance....jd

Team Sergeant
05-22-2011, 13:52
CRSC is deposited to the same account where you receive your retired pay or direct deposit. You can change that by logging into your myPay account or I can get you a phone number to call if you'd rather do it verbally or via mail.

https://mypay.dfas.mil/mypay.aspx

If they've got it screwed up somehow, you call 1-800-321-1080 to give them the correct account information.

Why didin't I think of this? I did (twice).....;) for some reason when I changed accounts the retirement followed but not the CRSC payments.
Thanks Kassie, I will call them.

CSM-H
05-23-2011, 08:14
Kassie, I will have to correct you...You can in fact collect a VA rating of 100% and 100% CRSC. As well CRDP if your VA rating is 100%. You cannot however collect both CRSC AND CRDP..... Be aware that CRDP is "Taxable" and CRSC is NOT...better benefit, if your percentage is high. To all, once you start the process do not stop! Do not miss a filing date, make all appointments, read the entirety of any paperwork you recieve. The biggest mistake one can make is missing a filling or appeal date, it stops your process beginning date and then you start over.....

Understand comments like "you have sixty days from the date of this letter or the remainder of a year from the decision date" or words to that effect...This will get you if you don't pay attention.....reason is the original decision date may be closer than you think (as in the remainder of the year) because of multiple letters recieved, just pay attention.....To all good luck, CSM-H (Former DAV NSO)

Gentlemen:

v/r,
Kassie

kcphoenix
05-23-2011, 17:12
Kassie, I will have to correct you...You can in fact collect a VA rating of 100% and 100% CRSC. As well CRDP if your VA rating is 100%. You cannot however collect both CRSC AND CRDP..... Be aware that CRDP is "Taxable" and CRSC is NOT...better benefit, if your percentage is high. To all, once you start the process do not stop! Do not miss a filing date, make all appointments, read the entirety of any paperwork you recieve. The biggest mistake one can make is missing a filling or appeal date, it stops your process beginning date and then you start over.....

Understand comments like "you have sixty days from the date of this letter or the remainder of a year from the decision date" or words to that effect...This will get you if you don't pay attention.....reason is the original decision date may be closer than you think (as in the remainder of the year) because of multiple letters recieved, just pay attention.....To all good luck, CSM-H (Former DAV NSO)

Sir,
You are correct! I failed to go into detail as all the warriors I have assisted have gone through the DES and taken the VA rating and CRSC because it's a better benefit especially with the tax free part. Thank you for sharing the further details as they are very important.

Kassie

Mr Furious
05-23-2011, 19:43
One more bit of advice.

Stop hiding your injuries, avoiding sick call, and taking complaints out of your medical records, well before you retire.

If there is no record of having been seen for a complaint, it can be very hard to establish service connection upon retirement.

Word to the wise.

TR

IMO – read and head TR’s post. This isn’t just one more bit of advice, it is THE advice for someone still serving. Take it very seriously, or you'll wish you would have later.

You just don’t think of that kind of stuff when you are in the thick of it and in the middle of your stride.

f50lrrp
05-24-2011, 14:52
Have any of you heard of A VA program that bawards grants for disbled vets to buy a car? A friend texed me a link for VA Form 21-4502.

Mike

kcphoenix
05-24-2011, 21:17
Mike,
That is the correct form you'd need to fill out. Here's some info on the VA vehicle grants programs:
Can the V.A. help a disabled veteran get an adapted vehicle?
The V.A. has grants to help some veterans with service-connected disabilities either buy a specially adapted vehicle or adapt an existing vehicle. The purpose of the adapted vehicle is to permit the veteran either to drive or ride in it.

V.A. grants for buying an adapted vehicle. The V.A. provides grants for certain veterans with service-connected disabilities to help buy a specially adapted new or used car, van, or other vehicle that can accommodate the veteran's disability. The grant is for the full value of the vehicle, but only up to $11,000. The grant is paid not to the veteran but directly to the seller of the vehicle. A veteran may receive only one such vehicle purchase grant in his or her lifetime.

V.A. grants to adapt a vehicle. The V.A. also offers grants to adapt a veteran's existing vehicle by adding adaptive equipment to accommodate certain service-connected disabilities, allowing the veteran either to drive or ride. This adaptive equipment includes power steering, power brakes, power windows, power seats, and special equipment to assist the veteran in getting into and out of the vehicle. Other adaptive equipment may be permitted if necessary, upon special application to the V.A.

How does a veteran qualify for a V.A. adapted vehicle grant?
A veteran with one of the following service-connected disabilities may qualify for a grant to buy a specially adapted vehicle:

Loss, or permanent loss of use, of one or both feet

Loss, or permanent loss of use, of one or both hands

Permanent impairment of vision in both eyes to a degree that makes driving impossible even with normal corrective lenses

Veterans who qualify for the vehicle purchase grant also qualify for the vehicle adaptation grant. Also, veterans with service-connected joint immobility (ankylosis) of a knee or hip may qualify for the adaptive equipment grant. An adaptive equipment grant may be paid more than once, and it may be paid directly to the veteran.

How can I apply for a V.A. adapted vehicle grant?
A veteran applies for either the vehicle purchase and/or the special adaptive equipment grant by filing V.A. form 21-4502 and submitting it to the V.A. regional office that handles the veteran's service-connected disability claim file. The instructions on the form list the adaptive equipment that has been preapproved for particular disabilities and explain the process of submitting the form and working with the seller of the vehicle or of the equipment.

Where can I get help applying for a V.A. adapted vehicle grant?
If a veteran wants to purchase equipment that isn't listed on the form, or that isn't preapproved for his or her disability, the veteran can contact a local V.A. medical center's Prosthetic Department for assistance before buying the equipment.

For general assistance with any V.A.-related question or problem by phone or in person, contact a V.A. Vet Center or V.A. Veterans Benefits Administration office. The V.A. also has a toll-free telephone help line at 800-827-1000.

Hope that helps some. Let me know if you need/want any further info on it!

Kassie