PDA

View Full Version : The (military) wisdom of a 9 year old

DaveMatteson
05-17-2011, 10:49
A few weeks ago (just before the tornaders hit) I took my son over the mountain to the game store as a treat for doing his chores and helping his sister with hers. As we looked around I kept hearing one boy about 16 or so going on about the US Army's "Operation Gamer". My son looked at me and asked if there was such and operation. I said yes, in his head. My son laughed.

Well after about 30 minutes of me browsing and him going on and on he explained to the guy behind the counter that Operation Gamer gives credit to gamers towards military schools depending on the games they played because the Army uses many simulations to do the real thing. I shook my head and kept my mouth shut. Until I heard a voice that sounded like mine.

My son approached the kid and told him that the military uses only simulations in firearms but they "really teach" parachutes. The kid told my son he didn't know what he was talking about and said he was going to be "spec ops" and be a "greener" (huh? wtf?) and go to S.E. Asia. I smiled. I asked him if he talked to a recruiter and he said yes. I asked him who the recruiter was and he told me he talked to a guy online that hires people for the military. I got really confused. I told him to go to a REAL recruiter and talk to the SGT there.

My son looked up at the kid and told him that "games are just games and are not real"

I have to admit, this is not the first time I have heard someone say this.

1stindoor
05-17-2011, 11:02
Here at SWC we have people working on computer games. Some of them used to work for civilian gaming companies. One, was one of the developers on one of the Tom Clancy games. We have simulation developers working on a lot of different programs to enhance the training before a deployment. Just another tool in the toolbox.

DaveMatteson
05-17-2011, 12:10
Here at SWC we have people working on computer games. Some of them used to work for civilian gaming companies. One, was one of the developers on one of the Tom Clancy games. We have simulation developers working on a lot of different programs to enhance the training before a deployment. Just another tool in the toolbox.

I won't argue that point as I was stationed at Redstone and worked for NASA. I have seen some of the intricate software used to demonstrate and to train our astronauts, soldiers, sailors, airmen, Marines, and Coast Guardsmen. I went through A-FIST training at Benning in 2003. I have issue with someone telling a kid he is going to get his wings because he played MOH-Airborne or because he played Call of Duty Black Ops he is going to get his beret.

I guess what I'm saying is that we have a lot of blood, sweat, and tears invested in our MOS' and to have some one tell this kid he will get his MOS just because he played a video game pisses me off.