PDA

View Full Version : Bones recovery

Martin
09-03-2004, 11:04
I am not confident about the english terminology, but an X-Ray confirmed today that I've acquired a bone "crack" right below knuckle four, right hand.

It has not been splinted.

TX is to keep it elevated to reduce swelling, not lift heavy things and to exercise it a lot without weights (opening and closing the fist, moving generally, etc).

When what signs occur and at what speed can workouts and training start up again?
Time expectancy?

swatsurgeon
09-03-2004, 11:34
usual healing time is 6 weeks. Gives a chance for the new bone to be layed down across the fracture. No repair is as strong as the original integrity of the bone or tissue. One of the risks is a re-fracture, i.e., having to restart the healing process. The reason they are casted/splinted it to reming the body to rest the area to allow spontaneous healing. If you 'promise' not to use the joint, stress the area, then you don't need a splint, etc. Unfortunately, not many of us could remember that 24/7, hence the splint/cast.
Rest it, son't stress it and try for 100% return in 6 weeks.

Martin
09-03-2004, 11:39
Thanks! Good info.

What kind of usage can the hand take?

Martin
09-03-2004, 11:43
I know you wrote "[...] promise not to use the joint [...]", but I ask about a limit because the doc ordered to move it about without weights.

swatsurgeon
09-03-2004, 16:07
perfectly appropriate to continue with range of motion, just no 'stress' on the bones with weight lifting, punching, etc....just means instead of fists, have to use guns or the Nike retreat.

Martin
09-04-2004, 00:59
Whee, new board design just popped up! Cool.

Thanks for the help swatsurgeon! I was considering getting a cast this morning, but I'll just use the hand as prescribed instead.

ccrn
09-04-2004, 17:08
Maybe try a splint as a compromise?

When you state "below the knuckle" is it safe to think the metecarpal?

Martin
09-05-2004, 01:36
Maybe try a splint as a compromise?

When you state "below the knuckle" is it safe to think the metecarpal?

It's a little less swollen today and hurts a bit less. The second doc said it was so close to the knuckle that she couldn't say for sure that it was a fracture, from the x-rays. The first one, though, had pressed around and pinpointed the same location for where it hurt.

To top it off I've become ill, like fever or something.

brewmonkey
09-05-2004, 05:44
Is this what they call a boxers knuckle or boxers fracture?

Martin
09-05-2004, 05:48
Is this what they call a boxers knuckle or boxers fracture?

I think a boxers fracture is the term used for fractures on the metacarpal.

I fell... The fist came automatically.

The Reaper
09-05-2004, 07:22

Good story, stick with it.

Loses credibility with a black eye or other facial injuries.

TR

Guy
09-05-2004, 10:38

TR

As soon as I read his reply, I was :confused:

Who the hell falls/trips and breaks his fall with a fist?

I have heard of FOOSHs, never a FOOSCFs. :D

Martin
09-05-2004, 10:39

TR

TR, you should know that the swelling ought to originate from knuckle two or three, or the metacarpal for them, if I had hit somebody.

Besides, I'm so small that it'd be hard to get enough power to break anything in a fight. Now that the fist wasn't clenched properly, the bad angle when falling backwards wasn't too humane.

No other injuries, of course. Thanks for being considerate, though.

Martin
09-05-2004, 10:45
As soon as I read his reply, I was :confused:

Who the hell falls/trips and breaks his fall with a fist?

I have heard of FOOSHs, never a FOOSCFs. :D

Yeah, well I'm odd! I guess it was suddeness that forced the closing of the fist without thinking.

Guy
09-05-2004, 11:09
Yeah, well I'm odd! I guess it was suddeness that forced the closing of the fist without thinking.

Personally...I would follow the advice of SS. The only thing I would add is...

Slowly continue some type of "squeezing exercise" using the hand to maintain dexterity from the immobilization.

ccrn
09-05-2004, 11:14
TR, you should know that the swelling ought to originate from knuckle two or three, or the metacarpal for them, if I had hit somebody.

Besides, I'm so small that it'd be hard to get enough power to break anything in a fight.

Untrue in the first example, and untrue in the second.

Swelling would occur in the second and third only if an individual had struck an object (animate or inanimate) close to correctly ( typicaly the dorsal aspect of the first and second metacarpophalangeal joints otherwise known as knuckles ie knuckle sandwich). Any individual no matter how small can generate enough power to cause a "boxers fracture" in the third and fourth metacarpal

My experience working casual in ER has taught me that most people do not strike correctly with their hands and fists, and that this injury occurs most frequently in the restrooms of pubs after a less than desirable contact with a sought after female. The contact suface most common for this type of injury is an inanimate object (ie wall) and not another indiviual as mostly claimed (ie only two beers).

My experience has also been that injuries of this nature are casted at least with a half cast covering the third and forth metacarpals and ulna held in place with an ace-

HTH

ccrn

Martin
09-05-2004, 11:18
Good post, ccrn!

Thanks for correcting me.

brewmonkey
09-05-2004, 16:48

LOL!

You know I used to tell people that I broke my back falling off the roof while laying tar paper. There was no way in hell I was going to admit that the straw that literally finished me off was a paint can lid.