PDA

View Full Version : Essential reading for those interested in SF

THE_Onus
05-16-2011, 19:13
I am unsure whether to post this in this section or in the Library area. The Library doesn't have a lot of threads in there, so since I feel like this area gets more traffic I decided it might be a better idea to post this in here.

What are some good things to read for someone who is interested in Special Forces? I have read a number of books on the SF community already, however I was wondering what books you guys (specifically QPs, but anyone else who knows good books) recommend for guys like me who want to earn our way into the community.

If I posted this is the wrong area, I apologize in advance.
Thanks!

The Reaper
05-16-2011, 19:24
More searching young Jedi.

Multiple threads on this topic already.

TR

Richard
05-16-2011, 19:30
Might wanna work your way through the "What are you reading now?" thread in the Library forum...but that's just a hunch. ;) ;)

Richard :munchin

THE_Onus
05-16-2011, 19:32
I'll get right on that. Looks like I have to work on the SA a little more.

Thanks for the help!

Mike
05-16-2011, 22:58
There was nuthun' to read about SF in 1966.

I was offered the opportunity to go to group in 1967 and jumped at it.

It was understood that it would be a ride like no other-noexplanation given or asked for.
Just "Hell yes!"

WTF is it with all the youngsters wanting hand-holding, mentoring, a virtual tour, and a coloring book.

I would not want to be on a team made of such non self motivating dependent characters.

Automatic disqualification for even thinking such crapola when I'm King.

THE_Onus
05-16-2011, 23:34
It's not so much that we want our hands to be held. I think today in this "life is a video game first person shooter" generation, it's hard to get an uncensored view of what life in the groups is like. Many of my friends couldn't even comprehend what life in SF is like. They think it's all like the UBL raid. Every night is a helicopter raid into some random country that's harboring the most wanted man in the world.. I know, or at least I think I understand, that life in SF isn't always glamourous.

I don't want my hand to be held. I'm just a student of history. It has been said that history is doomed to repeat itself. I don't want to be the guy in charge of the next Op. Red Wings. One day, I want everyone entrusted in my command to come back alive. I know it's out of my control, but I want to know/do everything I can.

Please don't take this as disrespectful in any way, shape, or form. I just hate being categorized as:

youngsters wanting hand-holding, mentoring, a virtual tour, and a coloring book.

or

non self motivating dependent characters.

I am not one of them. I'm just ashamed I made a fool out of myself by coming across as unmotivated and naive.

ZonieDiver
05-17-2011, 00:07

I was offered the opportunity to go to group in 1967 and jumped at it.

It was understood that it would
be a ride like no other-noexplanation given or asked for.
Just "Hell yes!"

WTF is it with all the youngsters wanting hand-holding, mentoring, a virtual tour, and a coloring book.

I would not want to be on a team made of such non self motivating dependent characters.

Automatic disqualification for even thinking such crapola when I'm King.

My oft-stated sentiments exactly! I vote for Mike as King!!

I didn't know much about SF when the offer was made to me. I'd read the book, seen the movie, learned from two SF officers at the UofM's Army ROTC, as well as some SF troops from 11th and 20th, but I had NO real idea of what it took, or how you got there. All I knew is that I wanted it.

BRAVO-SMASH
05-17-2011, 00:12
I am not one of them. I'm just ashamed I made a fool out of myself by coming across as unmotivated and naive.

No, you did not come across as unmotivated. You just revealed your lack of research techniques. There’s nothing wrong with finding out what you are about to get into. I sure as hell would not want a guy on my team who has not realized what he signed up for. But you have to do your part and research... Use the tools you have at your finger tips.

Richard
05-17-2011, 06:11

Robin Moore's The Green Berets was printed in 1965 and actually gives a pretty good idea of what SF life was like then.

There were also several National Geographic articles in 1965 and 1966 on life in SF at A-Camps among the Montagnards.

Life magazine also had an article in 1966 on A-726's 1965 defense of Nam Dong in I Corps and CPT Roger Donlon's subsequent receiving of the MOH for his actions there - the first awarded in RVN and the first awarded to an SF soldier.

But I agree, even if there were books and articles giving readers a pretty good view of what SF life was like, there certainly weren't any 'how to' books on SF back then.

JJ_BPK
05-17-2011, 06:51
There were also several National Geographic articles in 1965 and 1966 on life in SF at A-Camps among the Montagnards.

It was a time of confusion, for some..

It was a lot work for others..

:D:lifter:D

Dusty
05-17-2011, 06:59
"The Five Fingers" by Gayle Rivers

THE_Onus
05-17-2011, 07:39
But you have to do your part and research... Use the tools you have at your finger tips.

Roger that, Bravo. I'll dig around a little longer next time.

greenberetTFS
05-17-2011, 08:03
Like most of the old timers here I had nothing to help me regarding SF...... ;)I strongly suggest you get your hands on "Get Selected for Special Forces" by Major Joe Martin.....:D Wish I would have read it before going SF,it would have helped a lot......:D

Big Teddy :munchin

Dusty
05-17-2011, 08:07
"Earn Your 18B Certificate Online in 3 Days!" by J. Bryant is a time-saver. :D

THE_Onus
05-17-2011, 08:53
Like most of the old timers here I had nothing to help me regarding SF...... ;)I strongly suggest you get your hands on "Get Selected for Special Forces" by Major Joe Martin.....:D Wish I would have read it before going SF,it would have helped a lot......:D

Big Teddy :munchin

I found that one on the forum! It's on my list of books to get along with: Chosen Soldier by Dick Couch and The Five Fingers by Gayle Rivers

Richard
05-17-2011, 11:21
"Earn Your 18B Certificate Online in 3 Days!" by J. Bryant is a time-saver. :D

I agree - I found the introduction by COL (Ret) William Hillar and 1SG Bryant's AR670-1 "Tips of the Trade" to be especially motivating and useful. :rolleyes:

head
05-17-2011, 11:53
You could read... this forum. Pretty good stuff here.

I'm not even old-school, yet didn't know much about SF before the Q-course. Even though I would've ended up as Airborne Infantry (which seemed like win-win for me), I just knew quitting was for pussies and that to make it I should go as fast as I could and not be dumb. That's really all you need to do. Oh, and don't be late, light, or last.