PDA

View Full Version : SF Brotherhood and Fraternal Orgs

MoFo
05-16-2011, 09:11
You who are not members of fraternal SOF organizations, such as SFA or SOAR, what are your reasons? Gripes with particular orgs? Too busy? Not a joiner? Wife and kids won't cut you loose?

Those of you on Active Duty, especially you guys in your 30s and 40s, do you see SFA and SOAR as Vietnam-centric groups? When not deployed is the last thing you want to do is go to a damn meeting with a bunch of guys you spend all your time with anyway, a meeting that takes you away from your wife(s) and/or kid(s) and/or dog(s) and/or video game(s)?

Younger guys still - Do you think there is any value or worth in such groups? If not, do you think there might be for you in the future when you roll up and stow your beret?

There used to be a place called The Green Beret Club in Fayetteville, in the 70s and 80s. I heard it is long gone. (There is also one in London, very upscale.) Are there any such places now near Bragg or Lewis or Carson or Campbell? Would you younger guys go to such bars/taverns?

SF Brotherhood is bantered about a lot. The SF group on Facebook is called "SF Brothers." What does that mean to you all? Especially would like to hear from guys in their 20s and 30s. Is this brotherhood for real? Are there better ways of tapping this brotherhood than SFA or SOAR? How about The Green Beret Foundation and such orgs?

OK. I'm done. Probably too many letters and words.

Over.

wet dog
05-16-2011, 09:23
You who are not members of fraternal SOF organizations, such as SFA or SOAR, what are your reasons? Gripes with particular orgs? Too busy? Not a joiner? Wife and kids won't cut you loose?

Those of you on Active Duty, especially you guys in your 30s and 40s, do you see SFA and SOAR as Vietnam-centric groups? When not deployed is the last thing you want to do is go to a damn meeting with a bunch of guys you spend all your time with anyway, a meeting that takes you away from your wife(s) and/or kid(s) and/or dog(s) and/or video game(s)?

Younger guys still - Do you think there is any value or worth in such groups? If not, do you think there might be for you in the future when you roll up and stow your beret?

There used to be a place called The Green Beret Club in Fayetteville, in the 70s and 80s. I heard it is long gone. (There is also one in London, very upscale.) Are there any such places now near Bragg or Lewis or Carson or Campbell? Would you younger guys go to such bars/taverns?

SF Brotherhood is bantered about a lot. The SF group on Facebook is called "SF Brothers." What does that mean to you all? Especially would like to hear from guys in their 20s and 30s. Is this brotherhood for real? Are there better ways of tapping this brotherhood than SFA or SOAR? How about The Green Beret Foundation and such orgs?

OK. I'm done. Probably too many letters and words.

Over.

First, thanks for joining PS.com

Second, many here are members of several orgs, while many here are not.

What I've come to learn is people participate at levels they can commit too, some more than others, some less. Time and resources are often the culprits in determining one's ability to participate in any activity. PS.com allows me the ability to stay connected and introduced to items and events others send my way, knowing I may be interested in.

I've read your bio, thanks for your service. I hope you get re-connected with your 1st, 5th and 12th Grp brothers.

Also, the Search Button at the top right corner will yield many results. Much of your questions have been answered exhaustively in several threads.

Take care, WD

glebo
05-16-2011, 12:32
Kinda what wet dog states. I was never in any organization whe I was active. Well, I was a member of the SFA, but never went to any meetings. When ya live it, breath it for 24/7, that's the last thing I and my wife wanted....more army shit..
After I got out, and (no offense to civilians) went into the working world, per sey, there was a BIIIIG gap in what you (I) were used to dealing with. Some organizations allowed me to get back in touch with folks of the same "caliber" if you will..

I don't go to many SFA meetings, just stay in touch on line (which wasn't as openly available) when I got out.

I work with my brothers in arms now...so all is good.

PS> wet dog....that's not what ya smell like is it???:p:p

Dusty
05-16-2011, 13:08
I used to love the Decade Club fish fries in Panama. Especially when I was "tending" bar.:D

There's nothing out here I can get to, though-or I would.