PDA

View Full Version : What do you recommend for the average grunt?

BadMuther
09-03-2004, 01:05
What do you recommend for the average grunt to pack in his web gear? (2nd line.)

The soldier with little medical experience, but who wants to carry a little more then 2 traumedics.

Right now I'm carrying 2 traumedics, a roll of kerlix, some med tape, and about 6 4x4 dressings.....then I have some small bandaids, butterflies and some betadine.

I'm going to add a tourniquet and see about getting some of the israeli bandages.

What do you recommend NDD?

BadMuther
09-03-2004, 20:37
Bump.....:munchin

Smokin Joe
09-03-2004, 21:22
Ah bottle full of Mortrin 800's

BadMuther
09-03-2004, 23:20
Does that help with the back pain after sleeping in the Sgt's chair all night? :cool:

Smokin Joe
09-03-2004, 23:50
Does that help with the back pain after sleeping in the Sgt's chair all night? :cool:

In fact I need to shed this duty belt the cuffs keep digging into my back....after sitting all night. :cool:

Footmobile
09-04-2004, 00:17
I do like the Isreali battle dressing. Carried two on me at all times in Iraq. Very nice piece of med kit. I also like the tournequet from Tactical Medical Solutions.

Razor
09-04-2004, 11:06
Footmobile, have you checked out the Cinch-Tight dressing and PriMed gauze? I believe they are in the new IFAKs you guys were issued. The Cinch-Tight is similar to the Israeli dressing, but more compact and it uses a hook instead of the big, awkward plastic yoke. The PriMeds are just bulky gauze, but they're vacuum packed into a very small package, so you could carry 2-3 in the same space as a package of Kerlix.

Footmobile
09-04-2004, 11:11
I've seen 'em, but haven't as yet had a chance to train with them yet. The Corpsman I talked to about them seemed pretty happy with the improvements over the old stuff.

BadMuther
09-04-2004, 22:43
Footmobile, have you checked out the Cinch-Tight dressing and PriMed gauze? I believe they are in the new IFAKs you guys were issued. The Cinch-Tight is similar to the Israeli dressing, but more compact and it uses a hook instead of the big, awkward plastic yoke. The PriMeds are just bulky gauze, but they're vacuum packed into a very small package, so you could carry 2-3 in the same space as a package of Kerlix.

Razor's always got the 411 on the good sit... :)

Where's all the SF medics?????? Anyone else?

What makes for a good, personal 1st aid kit for combat?

brownapple
09-05-2004, 06:09
For what it is worth, I used to carry one of those "Jungle First Aid Kits" that the Marines all seemed to have, but I loaded it significantly differently than the issue setup.

Included a wide-range antibiotic (10 day supply), a fungicidal creme, betadine, bandaids, Ibu-profin, Iodine, pre-packaged sterile suture sets, small guaze squares, an eye dressing, a battle dressing and a cravat.

ccrn
09-10-2004, 11:12
Ive been watching this post hoping more would reply.

Maybe add a good pair of shears, and a small 500cc bottle of normal saline (and syringe) to irrigate if you have the space and dont mind a little extra weight.

Personaly I like kerlix. You can stuff it into a wound and do other things with it too-

ccrn

BadMuther
09-12-2004, 12:44
Thanks for the replies.

I was kinda thinking more on the lines of wound care (dressings, gauze, kerlix, whatnot) then meds. I usually always carry a personal pill kit with me-motrin, immodium, whatnot.

hoepoe
09-13-2004, 00:27
I'm certainly no medic, but i always carry 2x Tampons in my webbing in addition to that standard issue kit. they're light and apparently work well when needing to "plug-up" bleeding puncture wounds. Can anyone here confirm or dispute this?

Hoepoe

Razor
09-13-2004, 08:14
I believe the consensus is that they're better than nothing, but there are other things out there made specifically to do a better job.

Jgood
09-13-2004, 10:22
Ill state the obivous how about some gloves.. I also like the EMT shears work well and dont add much weight. What do you carry your med. supplies in BadMuther.
I was thinking of adding quikclot anybody ever use it pros/cons of it.

Sacamuelas
09-13-2004, 10:26
I was thinking of adding quikclot anybody ever use it pros/cons of it.

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1321 :cool:

Jgood
09-13-2004, 10:48
Thanx for the link very good info now i have alot more to research

BadMuther
09-13-2004, 23:32
Razor, I thought you were the one that told me that Tampons were a no-no because they were designed not to stop bleeding, but to still allow a flow of blood......

I dig this kit

http://www.cinchtight.com/Products/Catastrophic_TKit/catastrophic_tkit.html

that Razor mentioned.

Jgood, I keep two traumedics in a TT frag pouch.

My other med gear is carried in a molle canteen cover with some other misc. surv. stuff.

C'mon now, where's the medics???? I'll prolly bleed out before they get here and share some wisdom! :)

BadMuther
09-14-2004, 09:51
Thought I'd add this link.

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191

Razor
09-14-2004, 10:37
Sorry bubba, I'm not smart enough to give that kind of advice. Bad Ranger! Bad! :)

BadMuther
09-14-2004, 11:01
Sorry bubba, I'm not smart enough to give that kind of advice. Bad Ranger! Bad! :)

My bad-giving O's credit fo bein smart and sit! ;)

I had heard that one before though-that tampons were NOT recommended....

MEDIC!!!!!

:D

TF Kilo
10-04-2004, 14:20
Well, basic load for a hooah was one emergency trauma dressing, a roll of kerlex, and a tourniquet.

I carried 4 kerlex, 3 isralies, 2 nose hoses w/ lube, one J-tube, a couple alcohol pens w/ casualty feeder card, 2 IV starter kits w/ saline locks, 2 10cc srynges, and one of the flat 50cc bags in one of these:

http://www.tacticaltailor.com/products/modular_pouches/zipper_ultility_pouch/

It worked extremely well for me. I backfed everything into it according to how I would be treating a casualty... IV stuff on the bottom, ETD's, Kerlex, and the T on top. Airways were on the outer pouch along with the feeder card and pens.

What I carried might have been a bit much for the average "hooah" to pack, but considering I was the squad EMT before I went and crosstrained to RMED, I had more to care for than myself. The hooahs packing the ETD, kerlex and T had enough class 8 to be able to treat themselves off of.

BadMuther
10-05-2004, 19:50
Well, basic load for a hooah was one emergency trauma dressing, a roll of kerlex, and a tourniquet.

I carried 4 kerlex, 3 isralies, 2 nose hoses w/ lube, one J-tube, a couple alcohol pens w/ casualty feeder card, 2 IV starter kits w/ saline locks, 2 10cc srynges, and one of the flat 50cc bags in one of these:

http://www.tacticaltailor.com/products/modular_pouches/zipper_ultility_pouch/

It worked extremely well for me. I backfed everything into it according to how I would be treating a casualty... IV stuff on the bottom, ETD's, Kerlex, and the T on top. Airways were on the outer pouch along with the feeder card and pens.

What I carried might have been a bit much for the average "hooah" to pack, but considering I was the squad EMT before I went and crosstrained to RMED, I had more to care for than myself. The hooahs packing the ETD, kerlex and T had enough class 8 to be able to treat themselves off of.

Thanks.

.................................................. .

Viking
10-13-2004, 02:56
I'm not a D, I'm a B. Our TM SOP is the med stuff is on the right side of whatever vest you wear. We all carry a TMS touniquet, two rolls of kerlex, a field dressing, an asherman chest seal, a cravat, and two needles for emergency needle decompression. We each also carry a compete IV set in our go rucks.