PDA

View Full Version : Farmers across America ditch tractors for oxen in bid to beat rising fuel prices

Pete
05-15-2011, 08:14
Farmers across America ditch tractors for oxen in bid to beat rising fuel prices

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1385193/Take-bull-horns-Farmers-America-trade-tractors-oxen-beat-soaring-fuel-prices.html#ixzz1MQhiBMMs

This kinda goes with the "Be Prepared" idea. While not practical for large farming operations this seems to be a good idea for the small farm running high price vegetables for the "organic" and local dinning establishments.

".......He is already teaching up to 20 farmers every weekend.

'People want to get away from petroleum fuels where they can, because it's getting more expensive,' he said.

A pair of plough-ready oxen cost $3,000 (£1,800) - roughly the same as a second hand tractor.

But younger cattle are a snip at $150 each. They only eat grass and can work for up to 14 years.

They are also a handy source of fertilizer and can be eaten when they die........."

I think that last bit should have been slaughtered for food when they get too old to work.

But along with that theme I'm thinking of putting in a few narrow raised flower beds in the front yard this next winter. Looking more like edging or decoration beds. Then in the spring plant with bush versions of green beans and peas - so it will look green but you can pick something for supper.

Looking forward to see how the yellow squash and zucchini comes out this summer.

Dusty
05-15-2011, 08:21
Farmers across America ditch tractors for oxen in bid to beat rising fuel prices

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1385193/Take-bull-horns-Farmers-America-trade-tractors-oxen-beat-soaring-fuel-prices.html#ixzz1MQhiBMMs

This kinda goes with the "Be Prepared" idea. While not practical for large farming operations this seems to be a good idea for the small farm running high price vegetables for the "organic" and local dinning establishments.

".......He is already teaching up to 20 farmers every weekend.

'People want to get away from petroleum fuels where they can, because it's getting more expensive,' he said.

A pair of plough-ready oxen cost $3,000 (£1,800) - roughly the same as a second hand tractor.

But younger cattle are a snip at $150 each. They only eat grass and can work for up to 14 years.

They are also a handy source of fertilizer and can be eaten when they die........."

I think that last bit should have been slaughtered for food when they get too old to work.

But along with that theme I'm thinking of putting in a few narrow raised flower beds in the front yard this next winter. Looking more like edging or decoration beds. Then in the spring plant with bush versions of green beans and peas - so it will look green but you can pick something for supper.

Looking forward to see how the yellow squash and zucchini comes out this summer.

Damn, man, if that's all you're gonna plant, you might as well go ahead and butcher your ox now. ;)

Pete
05-15-2011, 10:10
No green beans for you!

:D

PS - After a bad start and a few puny years my Blueberry Bushes are lookin' real good this year.