PDA

View Full Version : When the hunters become the hunted: Sea Shepherd outruns Somali pirates

Pete
05-14-2011, 15:26
When the hunters become the hunted: Sea Shepherd outruns Somali pirates

Dang, I'd have to flip a coin on this one.

http://gcaptain.com/hunters-hunted-shepherd-outruns?25587&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Gcaptain+%28gCaptain.com%29

The notorious Sea Shepherd Conservation Society’s flagship, the Steve Irwin, ran the gauntlet of Somali pirates recently as the ship and crew transited the Gulf of Aden to the Red Sea.

In an effort to fool the pirates the Steve Irwin used a camouflage paint job with a large “77” placed on the bow, even fooling a U.S. military Blackhawk helicopter that mistook the vessel for a Dutch warship - I doublt it-.

Sea Shepherd was hoping that the pirates would make the same mistake, but three skiffs supposedly approached Steve Irwin and tailed the vessel for a few miles. The pirates appeared to be uncertain and backed off to check out a nearby container ship.

The Sea Shepherd’s Captain, Captain Lockhart MacLean, notified naval authorities in the area and warned of the container ship that the skiffs were approaching.

The skiffs eventually backed off and both ships.

Dusty
05-14-2011, 15:30
Somebody needs to start baiting those assholes in close enough to blast out of the water.

Pete
05-14-2011, 15:36
Somebody needs to start baiting those assholes in close enough to blast out of the water.

Who? The Sea Shepherd or the Pirates?

Both run small boats up to larger ships and try and board them.

Dusty
05-14-2011, 15:43
Who? The Sea Shepherd or the Pirates?

Both run small boats up to larger ships and try and board them.

How many innocent people have the Sea Shepherd crew killed so far?

dadof18x'er
05-14-2011, 15:51

they have, and it looks like fun.....

http://directorblue.blogspot.com/2009/05/somali-coast-cruise-package.html

Pete
05-14-2011, 15:54
How many innocent people have the Sea Shepherd crew killed so far?

How many people have the Pirates in the small boats killed? We don't know if those individuals have killed anybody or not.

Now if we're talking Pirates in general then we would have to include all the left wing save the earth environmentalists along with the Sea Shepherd Crew. Since they have killed people and Pirates in general also have killed people my argument stands.

Dusty
05-14-2011, 16:31
How many people have the Pirates in the small boats killed? We don't know if those individuals have killed anybody or not.

Now if we're talking Pirates in general then we would have to include all the left wing save the earth environmentalists along with the Sea Shepherd Crew. Since they have killed people and Pirates in general also have killed people my argument stands.

You lost me. What's your argument?

On edit: Doh!!! I see what you mean...

mark46th
05-14-2011, 16:52
Maybe the Steve Irwin could lure them in close enough to hit them with a couple of stink bombs...

PRB
05-14-2011, 17:48
An SF cruise...cocktails on the fandeck and the long gun of your choice...betting permited. I'd pay money to shoot some more skinnies.

Pete
05-15-2011, 16:20
Sea Shepherd Ships to Patrol Libyan War Zone for Poachers

http://www.seashepherd.org/news-and-media/news-110512-2.html

"Effective next month, two Sea Shepherd Conservation Society ships will enter the waters off the coast of Libya, an area declared to be in a state of war as NATO-backed rebel forces struggle to topple the despotic dictator Muammar Gaddafi, with the goal of intercepting bluefin tuna poachers and freeing any illegally caught fish in attempt to save the species from nearing extinction........"

Well, now we know what they are up to. I don't think the Bluefin Tuna Poachers in that area will be shooting water canons at them like the Japanese Whalers.

Sometimes you get the Bear - sometimes the Bear gets you.

Badger52
05-16-2011, 07:33
"...with the goal of intercepting bluefin tuna poachers and freeing any illegally caught fish in attempt to save the species from nearing extinction........"

Sometimes you get the Bear - sometimes the Bear gets you.Given the downstream value of this product, sometimes from a long harvest tradition in many extended family fishing operations, the "shepherds" could literally end up 'tween the devil & the deep blue. Which is what they get for impersonating game wardens. I'm rootin' for the bear.

Richard
05-16-2011, 07:59
In an effort to fool the pirates the Steve Irwin used a camouflage paint job with a large “77” placed on the bow, even fooling a U.S. military Blackhawk helicopter that mistook the vessel for a Dutch warship -

Right...if it was one of those 'Brown Dutch Warships'...they don't call them the "high" seas for nothing. :rolleyes:

Richard :munchin