PDA

View Full Version : help verifing a person claiming to be Special Ops.

samreynolds
05-04-2011, 05:19
About a month ago my friend met a guy online in the new RIFT MMO game.
He is 30 she is 44. He lives in Delaware -- her in Florida. Only name I have is Marty no last name, she does not know either.

Claims to been on extended leave from Afghanistan --- He told her what a HALO jump was like and supposedly something that happened you can't glean
from TV shows or internet. ( she won't tell me the specifics).

She has only seen pictures but has seen a picture of his tags.

Last Sunday she was told he was going back overseas, on Monday nite at about 8:30 he got a call from his commander and he had to go, but said even though they could communicate via cell phone, texting etc. they would still be able to communicate via game and VENT (voip software). I flagged that because does not make sense to me that they would take his phone but yet allow him access to an unsecured computer internet.

On Tuesday she tells me that he has told he is more a CIA operative than special forces, he has also disclosed the location of his next mission, and that he will be commanding. (30 a little young?). When asked why he is telling her all this her answer is because we do not lie to each other. Told her lieing had nothing to do with disclosing secret information. I did have a secret clearance when a was contractor.

From everything I read I understand that (bragging) is not a personality trait of anyone involved in High Level intel/operations work.

To top it off he is supposedly coming down Memorial Day weekend/week but will be traveling with his mother's boyfriend?

My insides are screaming you are being scammed but since we have a history together and now are just friends IF I want to stay close to her and protect her I need to be the supportive friend AND not continue to point out this guy could be serial killer.

IF anyone knows a guy named Marty (sorry no more info) and can verify to me he is on the up and up thank you, I will be very happy.

Yes, I do have a history with this woman but if I am to remain a friend I have to discontinue my negative attitude towards this guy. I just do not want to see her get hurt.

Thank you all for your great service to our great nation.

And thank you in advance for any information and Marty if you are reading this I am sorry I doubted you.

1stindoor
05-04-2011, 06:06
He is 30 she is 44. He lives in Delaware -- her in Florida. Only name I have is Marty no last name, she does not know either.

Claims to been on extended leave from Afghanistan --- He told her what a HALO jump was like and supposedly something that happened you can't glean

She has only seen pictures but has seen a picture of his tags.

Last Sunday she was told he was going back overseas, on Monday nite at about 8:30 he got a call from his commander and he had to go, but said even though they could communicate via cell phone, texting etc. they would still be able to communicate via game and VENT (voip software). I flagged that because does not make sense to me that they would take his phone but yet allow him access to an unsecured computer internet.

On Tuesday she tells me that he has told he is more a CIA operative than special forces, he has also disclosed the location of his next mission, and that he will be commanding. (30 a little young?). When asked why he is telling her all this her answer is because we do not lie to each other. Told her lieing had nothing to do with disclosing secret information. I did have a secret clearance when a was contractor.

From everything I read I understand that (bragging) is not a personality trait of anyone involved in High Level intel/operations work.

To top it off he is supposedly coming down Memorial Day weekend/week but will be traveling with his mother's boyfriend?

My insides are screaming you are being scammed but since we have a history together and now are just friends IF I want to stay close to her and protect her I need to be the supportive friend AND not continue to point out this guy could be serial killer.

IF anyone knows a guy named Marty (sorry no more info) and can verify to me he is on the up and up thank you, I will be very happy.

Yes, I do have a history with this woman but if I am to remain a friend I have to discontinue my negative attitude towards this guy. I just do not want to see her get hurt.

Thank you all for your great service to our great nation.

And thank you in advance for any information and Marty if you are reading this I am sorry I doubted you.

Jeez...where to begin?

I could tell you that you have failed to follow fairly simple instructions and are violating the rules of our board....but I suspect the rules of someone else's house don't apply to you.

I could tell you that there are many well proven ways to determine if a person is an actual SF Soldier...but I suspect that you have grown accustomed to just asking a question and getting a direct and honest answer from nameless/faceless people on the internet.

So, with that being said, let me just say that I am Marty...and I'm planning on nailing your ex.

A lot!

I mean in between classified black ops and traveling with my mother's boyfriend.

:rolleyes:

samreynolds
05-04-2011, 06:17
I admit I did not thoughly read the rules of the board I did fill in my profile and did do an introduction.

I guess I should have added that she is the daughter of a retired full bird colonel maybe that would have garnered a little more respect.

Yes, a year ago she was my girlfriend now she is just a very close friend that I do not want to see any harm come to her. I can't protect the world like you guys can but I can try to protect her.

AND I don't much she gets nailed but lets make sure it really is by a special ops guy and not some poser ok.

JJ_BPK
05-04-2011, 06:23
I mean in between classified black ops and traveling with my mother's boyfriend.

:rolleyes:

I though he had that operation last year and was working as the technical adviser on the Sean Peen biopic "Spank my Monkey"??

1stindoor
05-04-2011, 06:25
Fair enough...and I respect your ability to roll with the punches. But "Marty" is not enough to go on. Have your ex ask him some questions such as, When did he go to the Q course? What was his team number? What group was he in? What countries did he get to visit? Who are some of his former teammates? Simple questions like that will usually trip up the average poser because that information is burned into your soul. 20+ years later, I can still remember specific instructors, fellow students, teammates, commanders, sergeant majors, etc. from my first assignment.

samreynolds
05-04-2011, 06:25
I just reread the rules again.. And really am not sure what I violated, if anything sounded like a personal attack it wasn't meant that way.

I have the utmost respect for the job and sacrifice that all of you make, yes, I was hoping for a simple answer from nameless faces on the internet in a forum that I trust.

I did computer work for over 20 years and a lot of it has been computer security related, most other forums I do not trust but this one is different it seems well ran an well thought out.

I apologize for stepping on anyones toes or insulting anyone in any way.

1stindoor
05-04-2011, 06:27
I though he had that operation last year and was working as the technical adviser on the Sean Peen biopic "Spank my Monkey"??

He told me that he could never be my real Dad...but he could be my new best friend.

samreynolds
05-04-2011, 06:30
thank you for the ideas, 1stindoor. That is very helpful.

IF she can ever get a last name out him (probably why won;t give it) he can be easily checked out then.

1stindoor
05-04-2011, 06:32
I just reread the rules again.. And really am not sure what I violated, if anything sounded like a personal attack it wasn't meant that way.

Maybe I missed it. Read your bio, failed to see your "first" post in the Intro thread. But since I noticed you had all of "1" post and it was listed next to your first thread...well let's just say the math didn't add up.

Either way, if your ex's new beau can't answer some simple questions...he's probably a fraud. If he can...he's probably still a fraud based on his "classified" BS he's feeding her.

Richard
05-04-2011, 06:40
When asked why he is telling her all this her answer is because we do not lie to each other.

Your friend may not be lying...but if that's the story he's been telling her, ol' Marty {if that's even his name} sure as hell is.

Richard :munchin

JJ_BPK
05-04-2011, 06:40
I would like to hear why you are so excited. In reading your note I do not see any threat, other than your gut "My insides are screaming"

Is your X really a 44 YO gamer?? and is she having 2nd thoughts about inviting this guys into her home??

You need to get a copy of his tags,, "but has seen a picture of his tags."

:munchin

Dusty
05-04-2011, 06:49
You need to just drop it, McGeek.

ZonieDiver
05-04-2011, 06:51
I've heard 'em called 'stones, nads, and huevos' - but not 'tags'!

This place rarely fails to provide me some morning entertainment.

I just checked (twice) my list of all 'special ops' members - past, present, and future. There were none named 'Marty'! (A 'Martin' or two... hmmmm... but NO 'Marty' at all.) :D

1stindoor
05-04-2011, 06:51
You need to get a copy of his tags,, "but has seen a picture of his tags."

:munchin

I left that one alone because I sincerely hoped he wasn't talking about "dog-tags." Hell, I have to look for mine before every jump. I haven't worn them daily since basic and AIT.

Besides, nowadays you can get them made at just about any mall in the country.

1stindoor
05-04-2011, 06:53
You need to just drop it, McGeek.

And there goes another perfectly good keyboard.

Richard
05-04-2011, 06:55
Guys - he's talking about gamertags - specific info related to an individual gamer. Look it up.

JJ_BPK
05-04-2011, 06:58
Guys - he's talking about gamertags - specific info related to an individual gamer. Look it up.

Glad we have a 60++ yo black ops gamer on our team..

Team Sergeant
05-04-2011, 07:02

Sam,
This is a "he said she said" situation. Unless this individual has a website or has been interviewed by the media and made these claims then we don't get involved. Now when you collect his name you can go after his military records here (http://www.archives.gov/st-louis/military-personnel/public/general-public.html). Good luck Sam.

1stindoor
05-04-2011, 07:15

I just did...sometimes, and I mean this in the most respectful manner, you scare me with the obscure information you have floating around your head.

samreynolds
05-04-2011, 08:43
Wow, I really didn't mean to set your fuse off I sincerely apologize.

I KNOW that the real work is done by the enlisted -- and I'm sorry if my comment was misintepreted.

I did not mean to imply any disrespect to anyone

samreynolds
05-04-2011, 08:57
Guys,

Thank you so much for all your responses. She was talking about dogtags.
I may have been premature in posting here without all the pertinent information (Need last name) but I did get some good ideas to give to her for trying to really verify this.

And yes she is a 44 year old gamer, it passes the time and keeps her mind off of being alone. whole other story.

I am currently on very shaky ground, with her, because of all the negative things I say like, why is revealing (what I would consider) classified information to someone he has not even met and on open channels. So I have to handle it with sensitivity.

Please let me thank you all again for your service, dedication, and commitment to defending the unworthy people like me that live in this great nation of ours.

It sends chills down my back thinking about it.

samreynolds
05-04-2011, 09:05
My imagination I guess. The threat to me is that lets say he comes down Memorial Day turns out to be a rapist or worse a murderer. I know that it is her decision who she brings into her home BUT if I don't try to protect her now and find out all I can before, I may be able to prevent something and would always be asking what if.

I promised her daughters that I would always look out for her no matter what. One daughter made me promise EVEN if her mom thinks it is not in her best interest. So that it is why I am here asking.

YEP putting my nose where it don't belong!

Richard
05-04-2011, 09:08
...putting my nose where it don't belong!

Concur. We're going nowhere here.

Richard