PDA

View Full Version : Army Air Assault School

Waffen
05-03-2011, 13:57
As of next week I am heading to the US Army Air Assault School. I've been researching and studying arduously on the tasks and conditions that I will be undergoing. From what I've researched I've realized that Air Assault's Zero Day is by far the hardest day of the school. Should a student pass Zero Day they work their way to Phase I, II, and III respectively ending the course with a 12 mile ruck march.

However, while I did read the book that was given to me and have begun training for the school (PT is perfect, learned how to tie a Swiss Rapel Seat, etc.) I know that there is information that a book cannot prepare a soldier for everything. I wanted to ask the Quiet Professionals community. I know and realize most of the members here have more than likely attended Air Assault at one point in their military careers. I wanted to ask for advice and general information from a personal point of view on what to expect from Air Assault School.

Dusty
05-03-2011, 14:00
It's a piece of cake. Just read all the rules first.

Priest
05-03-2011, 15:36
Air assault! Air assault! Air assault!
That's about the worst of it...

219seminole
05-03-2011, 17:00
Everybody (myself included) and his brother and sister has the AA badge, so it is not the toughest course in the army. Back in the days of yore (1975) I went from a 101 rifle company** to the AA school without special preparation. In many ways it was seen as a vacation from daily duty. Today it may be the toughest, hardest, meanest, bloodiest thing out there...but I doubt it.

**C/2/327 which did a 25 mile road march in 6 hours and some minutes.

18C4V
05-03-2011, 17:09
Sling load washed out a lot of guys in my class.

Flame Magnet
05-03-2011, 17:30
I am in the Air Assault Course as I type. It is a piece of cake. Zero Day is the "toughest" day, but if you are in any type of physical shape it will be easy. You should not worry.

eddie
05-03-2011, 17:54
The physical part is cake, but as 18C4V stated, definetley pay attention and study during the sling load phase, it washed out alot of people in my class also.

QuietCro
05-03-2011, 18:50
I graduated about a month ago. Study during your time off during phase II and you will be fine.

Pray they actually have birds for your cycle or like me you'll have your 34' tower wings.

The Reaper
05-03-2011, 19:52
I graduated about a month ago. Study during your time off during phase II and you will be fine.

Pray they actually have birds for your cycle or like me you'll have your 34' tower wings.

You used the 34' tower apparatus for Air Assault?

TR

Flame Magnet
05-03-2011, 20:09
We are doing the tower also. All the aircraft are in reset from the deployment. The next class will have aircraft though.

LongWire
05-03-2011, 20:20
10 Hardest Days in the ARMY

The Reaper
05-03-2011, 20:29
10 Hardest Days in the ARMY

Maybe in the Leg Army. :D

TR

Waffen
05-03-2011, 20:35
We are doing the tower also. All the aircraft are in reset from the deployment. The next class will have aircraft though.

I won't be at Fort Campbell for Air Assault. I'll be at Fort Knox if that makes any difference.

Almualla
05-03-2011, 21:57
-Be ready for the rope, it is a short one you start when do the "though one" obstacle which is climb the rope all the way till you get over the beam without the help of your knee, walk on straight beam, get to the net all the way up and down. ( seriously it is not so though one !!)

-After you do the obstacle course, you will change boots to your go fasters, and do the 2 miles run, which you need to pass .

-You are allowed to fail two obstacles , many fail the "short" rope on the "tough one" , the ladder, the wall which is about 15-20 degrees angle .

-After you pass your day zero, make sure to study the notes they gave you while in the class room, they will give you the book, and the fill in notes booklet. Seriously the test is more than 75% from the notes, and the hand signal test just memorize it, and do tons of practice with a buddy.

- When you reach the inspection and finding the deficiency, pay attention to the small things, a pin on castle nut can be the "go" OR "no go" on your test, and while you in the kitchen go around the kitchen table and practice the inspection, the net might be the toughest one, practice the kitchen table method, it worked for me .

- Study, and never give up .

-the 12 miles march is easy, you have to make it within 3 hours which is really easy , have your feet ready, bodyglide, Dr scholls blister free spray from Walgreens will do the trick , you got to drink a full canteen every 3 miles which they will check it when you get to the 3 miles mark, and yes they will be watching for anybody who spill the water, or not even hold the weapon in the way that authorized .

-Good luck.

-Class 23-09

Dusty
05-04-2011, 05:15
A month after you graduate, you'll kick yourself for being skeered of the course.

Mr Furious
05-04-2011, 10:10
As a school all by itself, you’ll do fine and I echo 18C4V’s comments about where to pay attention. It also depends on how much mental “weight” is attached to someone attending. It’s a good test for a youngling.

For a young guy in the Infantry it was a big deal. For a young guy in the 327th, it was a very big deal. If you failed, you were received back at the Co as someone who squandered a precious school slot. Lepers were treated better. If you were a young guy in “Charlie Airborne”, and were attending with the rest of the legs in the Battalion…you get the picture. Similar - Ranger School is a school, but if you are sent there from the 75th (where it’s a way of life) there is a very high expectation that you will not squander that precious school slot, and the mental “weight” is upped significantly for you as compared to others to your left and right. It’s a good test.

Good luck, and stay focused.

Waffen
05-04-2011, 20:20
As a school all by itself, you’ll do fine and I echo 18C4V’s comments about where to pay attention. It also depends on how much mental “weight” is attached to someone attending. It’s a good test for a youngling.

For a young guy in the Infantry it was a big deal. For a young guy in the 327th, it was a very big deal. If you failed, you were received back at the Co as someone who squandered a precious school slot. Lepers were treated better. If you were a young guy in “Charlie Airborne”, and were attending with the rest of the legs in the Battalion…you get the picture. Similar - Ranger School is a school, but if you are sent there from the 75th (where it’s a way of life) there is a very high expectation that you will not squander that precious school slot, and the mental “weight” is upped significantly for you as compared to others to your left and right. It’s a good test.

Good luck, and stay focused.

For mental weight at the moment its mainly the negative vibes I've been getting from the fellow Cadets here in ROTC Battalion. They always get three to four Airborne Slots and the controversial single Air Assault slot. The Air Assault Slot usually goes to the best Cadet of the semester. This semester I was the "best cadet", which angered the ones who didn't get it. They're overall acting as the major demotivational force.

However, their negative energy is my motivational energy. :) I can't wait to show back up in August badged.

Thanks everyone for the motivation and advice. Air Assault sounds like they'll give me a good workout and get me into even better shape for beach season (:p). In addition, I'll learn a lot of knowledge about helicopters, sling load operations, pathfinder operations, and rappeling to not only bring back to my ROTC Battalion, but my Reserve Unit as well.

Blitzzz (RIP)
05-04-2011, 20:59
My female LTC "Boss" at Ft Campbell's PT Clinic made it...with a lot of other ladies...
Come on, be a trooper...

zuluzerosix
05-05-2011, 14:52
I went with a platoon from my company from the 82nd (505th). The school was at Ft Rucker. We had student pilots flying the birds. A few of our folks did not pay attention very well during sling load operations and we lost three members of the 82nd Platoon who FAILED THE TESTING. Several of the NCO's I went with had bad attitudes and were flexing their jump wings in the face of the rappel master/instructors. Then, two of them ended up failing the 9-Line Medivac Request part of the testing. We were smoked often because a few folks from my unit would not stop heckling the instructors. It was very embarrassing to say the least. One of the cadre was a very young corporal who was jump qualified and had just earned his rappel master rating. He was the most impressive E4 I had ever seen.

The class leader was a Marine Major reserve (aviator). The Class NCO leader was his Gunny. The class honor grad was a Nation Guard 2LT female that was barely 5 feet tall and suffered greatly in the road marches. But never, ever fell behind in any PT event. She never received a single No-Go on anything. She was quiet as a mouse. I don't think anybody knew her name even. She was the only female out of 6 that made it.

The class was a real quick quick gut check as well as a mental check up.

Attention to detail.

Last hard class
05-05-2011, 19:41
7th group sent 4 of us supposedly to help evaluate whether there was a need to add group slots. Things I remember putting in my evaluation upon returning:

As noted above: sling load was very useful.
On the other hand:

Australian repel off the open platform. Amazing how many maroons forgot about the stretch factor in the rope. Worth the price of admission itself.

Ruck march. The packing list included my GP net, poncho liner and rubber boots. I ran the course, got so far ahead I beat the fire guards to the turn off and ended up running the entire loop. Came in last place, waaay late. The Tacs added a boatload of push-ups for being too fast.

That phrase every time you’re left foot hit. Really?

It is a good entry level course. However, I do not believe 7th sent anyone else for a while.

LHC

Stylo
05-11-2011, 10:57
Well, I went to the Ft Campbell one. And I got dinged my first day because they said they could tell I shaved, but not close enough. Personally, I think they had too many candidates and had to get rid of a few, so yeah, I recycled for shaving.

But really, no offense to the admin types, but REMF's go through it. Same with jump school really. It can be tough but I thought if the cute dental tech at the dental clinic had bullwinkle wings, I should have a passing chance.

And to show my age, I had to learn the link count for a gamma goat.

CSB
05-11-2011, 20:16
Just do it.

And when you're done, you're going to be embarrassed you wrote about it.

Todd 1
05-11-2011, 22:36
As many others have said it’s not hard physically, you’re in good shape, no worries.

The instructors (Ft. Campbell) had their classes memorized and spoke very fast while they taught so it was difficult sometimes to keep up while taking notes. During phase 2 (Sling Load Ops) I stayed late once and reviewed some of the info with the instructor to make sure I was good to go. Don’t be afraid to ask questions or stay late if you need to.

Piece of cake, good luck. :lifter

Jefe
05-13-2011, 06:57
It was not an easy school but certainly not something any good soldier will have trouble with.

My suggestion is to focus on the skill set you take out of there and how it will apply to your operational planning or participation in the future. Any combat soldier should know how to set up an LZ/PZ, call in an in bound advisory, sling loading (a perishable skill at least for me) etc. One of the best things I took out of it was not pushed hard in the class which was was the 5 phases of Air Assault planning.

I need not mention the importance of MEDEVAC training.

And LOL, I did my course at Fort Sherman in Panama via MTT from Fort Rucker. I remember doing the sling load phase in a storm with high winds, rain and friggin lightning.

And guess who gets the Static Probe man! LMAO, I remember feeling pretty vulnerable running out with that lighting rod in my hand to the bird.

Enjoy it and give it 110% and have a good attitude and help your buddies.

lonewolf726
05-13-2011, 08:31
And to show my age, I had to learn the link count for a gamma goat.

Same here :cool:

Dusty
05-13-2011, 09:37
Let's just say that if you NoGo, you might as well hang yourself with your Swiss Army Seat.:D

RYANH
05-19-2011, 23:46
I did it back in '04. It was a good course, nothing to sweat about. I think the hardest part was trying to get out of the parking lot at lunch, so make sure you pack your lunch or have an MRE and get a few gallons of water to keep in your trunk so you are not just another schmuck standing in line at the water fountain 5 minutes before you have to fall in. Its the little things that will get you kicked out (as said before) so just make sure you have all your crap in one sock. I bought some blank 3x5 cards and made flash cards and that helped me study. I agree with what the QP said up there, you will probably chuckle at yourself when you are done with it for posting the question.

18C4V
05-20-2011, 00:17
Just like what Mr. Furious stated about being an 11 Bravo and having those wings. When I was an 11 Bravo, I was proud to sport those wings. We had our own AA school and if you were an 11B that was one of the schools that you were expected to go to.

Dozer523
05-20-2011, 10:35
In 1989 we took a bunch of Egyptian Commandos through it. They didn't even speak English. (they were granted waivers on the written test)

Hacksaw
05-22-2011, 13:41
Having been a victim of AA as well as Rappel Master (which I still cannot believe was even a real course, I'm sure someone was screwing with me and talk 100 other guys to play along) I think someday you will look back on the school as 3 hours of training cammed into 10 days. The only useful part for me was the sling loading and they went through it so quickly and tested that I got more out of the FM than the hands on. It is the quintesential army course, attriction is the mission and it has a shiney badge. For you 7th GP guys, COL Pullys son was in my Rappel Master course, he seemed like a pretty good kid.

Waffen
05-24-2011, 01:14
A month after you graduate, you'll kick yourself for being skeered of the course.

I just got back from the course. Pretty much this.

I ended up getting winged today. The course itself wasn't bad at all. Zero Day turned out to be all hype. If anything, Day 1 for us was worst than Day Zero. Phase I material was pretty easy as well. Phase II was more nerves if anything. A lot of us were worried about finding those deficiencies. I ended up finding five errors on the A-22 Cargo Bag (The fifth being unintentional), the Humvee, Cargo Net, and Fuel Blivets. The Rappel Phase wasn't hard. The hardest part about it was wearing a Swiss Rapel Seat for three days. The 12 mile just sucked because the weather was far from user friendly. We had to embrace the suck. I barely had 10 minutes left upon reaching the finish line.

All together we started with 190 and we graduated with 157. We lost a lot of people on Zero Day and Sling Loads.

Overall, I had a blast at Air Assault School. Though I wish we actually got to use real helicopters. The Kentucky National Guard Aviators were mobilized to deal with the floods and we ended up doing FRIES off of the 52 foot Rapel Tower instead.