PDA

View Full Version : H2H Training in NC

Solid
09-01-2004, 15:40
Good afternoon,
I was wondering if anyone had the names of any good h2h instructors in or around Durham, NC? Three of us, all novices, are looking for an introduction to the art of hand to hand combat.

PM me if you need specifics.

Thank you very much,

Solid

NousDefionsDoc
09-01-2004, 15:47
Dress up in lots of piercings and a Che T Shirt. Go to Rick's Lounge about 23:00 on a Friday night and yell out "Airborne Sucks!" as loud as you can. Its OJT, but it will definitely shorten the learning curve.

Solid
09-01-2004, 16:01
How about I just walk in wearing my Michael Moore costume with a John Kerry t-shirt on?

On the other hand, the piercing might be considered a bizarre form of conditioning.

But seriously, folks... Any names spring to mind? I'm not far from Fayetteville.

Solid

Roguish Lawyer
09-01-2004, 16:06
Originally posted by Solid
I'm not far from Fayetteville.

:confused:

The Reaper
09-01-2004, 16:19
If you are in Durham, you already better know H2H, wear a vest, and be familiar with small arms.

If you show up without that knowledge, any of the local residents should be willing to provide three novice pasty white kids with funny accents "an introduction to the art of hand to hand combat".

http://durham.areaconnect.com/crime1.htm

More Murder, Aggravated Assault, and Armed Robbery than Fayetteville.

Fight for your life.

TR

NousDefionsDoc
09-01-2004, 16:22
Solid, find a Krav Maga school.

alphamale
09-01-2004, 16:28
I'd second that. (about that area)

But the good news is that is if anything happens, NC is one of the few states where you can check the status of the perp at any time

http://webapps6.doc.state.nc.us/apps/offender/search1

Guy
09-01-2004, 16:47
FS:

I didn't know it was legal to shoot a carjacker in the state of Louisiana.:D

Edited to add:

Solid:

Practice "AVOIDFU"...that way you stay out of trouble. Back in the days, you could fight and get away with it. Nowadays...you will need an attorney.

Air.177
09-01-2004, 16:58
Originally posted by Guy
FS:

I didn't know it was legal to shoot a carjacker in the state of Louisiana.:D

Edited to add:

Solid:

Practice "AVOIDFU"...that way you stay out of trouble. Back in the days, you could fight and get away with it. Nowadays...you will need an attorney.

Which there are plenty of here; Samoan, Non Samoan, Commo Expert.....oh wait, Nix that last one:munchin

Anyway, you should do as Guy suggests no matter what your level of badass-ism is.

Solid
09-01-2004, 18:47
Avoidfu is ingrained in my art of living.
This is training is both a precaution and potentially a preperation for things to come. So you guys don't know anyone in the area willing to take on three novices? Could you recommend a place for me to do my own research? If there's one thing I've learnt from this website, it's that those 'accredited badasses' most often aren't who they say they are- are there any magazines with advertisements that aren't BS?

Thank you,

Solid

Roguish Lawyer
09-01-2004, 18:54
Why are you going to be in Durham? :munchin

Eagle5US
09-01-2004, 19:08
He teaches Wing Chun out of an old warehouse across from the bread factory in Fayetteville. Went there for a long time. Great Instruction. Common sense, real world, no belts, just techniques. Everything is full contact, full speed. Teaches women for free (at least he used to).
SF Group friendly-
Highly recommend

Eagle

Solid
09-01-2004, 19:17
Eagle:
Two questions-
1) Is Wing Chun a 'practical' h2h form?

2) Do you still have contact information?

Thank you so much for your help, and please excuse my ignorance. I hope to remedy it by attending these sessions.

Thanks again,

Solid

Eagle5US
09-01-2004, 20:37
Eagle:
Two questions-
1) Is Wing Chun a 'practical' h2h form?

2) Do you still have contact information?

Thank you so much for your help, and please excuse my ignorance. I hope to remedy it by attending these sessions.

Thanks again,

Solid
Very practical, no special clothes or unreasonable flexibility required.

Wing Chun Kung Fu School
241 Tolar Street, Fayetteville, NC 28306
Tel: (910) 486-7062
Fax: (910) 822-0103

Good luck-

Eagle

Bill Harsey
09-01-2004, 20:45
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
Dress up in lots of piercings and a Che T Shirt. Go to Rick's Lounge about 23:00 on a Friday night and yell out "Airborne Sucks!" as loud as you can. Its OJT, but it will definitely shorten the learning curve. I read the whole thread, I like this one the best! get it on video! Then do the Wing Chung, it'll mean more.

The Reaper
09-01-2004, 20:51
Dress up in lots of piercings and a Che T Shirt. Go to Rick's Lounge about 23:00 on a Friday night and yell out "Airborne Sucks!" as loud as you can. Its OJT, but it will definitely shorten the learning curve.

I regret to inform you that fine establishment closed and was demolished to build a Police Station in 1995.

Just thought you should know.

TR

Bill Harsey
09-01-2004, 20:53
Originally posted by The Reaper
I regret to inform you that fine establishment closed and was demolished to build a Police Station in 1995.

TR Reasonable substitute anywhere?

Bill Harsey
09-01-2004, 21:01
Wing Chung, back in the old days when I was doing martial arts near full time and competing all over the west coast, we had two guys from China that did martial arts. These young guys were trained very old school in a style that was at least very similar if not Wing Chung (name prompted the memory). Here's my point, they wieghed about 90 lbs each soaking wet. I swear I could could put one of them in a phone booth, step in with them and close the door and still wouldn't be able to hit 'em. Damndest thing I ever did, trying to nail those guys was like punching smoke. Had to buy 'em beers for that.

NousDefionsDoc
09-01-2004, 21:02
DAMN! Fine establishment it was, too.

The Reaper
09-01-2004, 21:07
Originally posted by Bill Harsey
Reasonable substitute anywhere?

IIRC, you declined adult entertainment during your visit.

Changed your mind?

Just let me know how much trouble you want to get into next time.

I can take you to bars with painted over windows and metal detectors at the door, probably get into a fight within 15 minutes without trying.

TR

NousDefionsDoc
09-01-2004, 21:08
Wait for me! Wait for me!

Bill Harsey
09-01-2004, 21:10
IIRC, you declined adult entertainment during your visit.

Changed your mind?

Just let me know how much trouble you want to get into next time.

I can take you to bars with painted over windows and metal detectors at the door, probably get into a fight within 15 minutes without trying.

TR We was on best possible behavior out of respect to our host. Now you tell me how civilized it is...

The Reaper
09-01-2004, 21:11
Wait for me! Wait for me!

You need to come see a fat old man sometime.

Door is always open for a teammate.

TR

NousDefionsDoc
09-01-2004, 21:15
Workin' da prob Boss.

Solid
09-01-2004, 22:03
Thank you Eagle, I'll get on it.

Y'all be some crazy mofos.
;)

Solid

The Reaper
09-01-2004, 22:07
Originally posted by Bill Harsey
We was on best possible behavior out of respect to our host. Now you tell me how civilized it is...

Sir:

I told you I was cleared for the Op, and you told me that you did not posess the requisite clearances from your CINC-HOUSE.

SF Rule #3. What goes TDY, STAYS TDY!

That would have been a covert Black Op, at least as long as you kept me on your blade list.

TR

NousDefionsDoc
09-01-2004, 22:10
Originally posted by Eagle5US
Very practical, no special clothes or unreasonable flexibility required.

Wing Chun Kung Fu School
241 Tolar Street, Fayetteville, NC 28306
Tel: (910) 486-7062
Fax: (910) 822-0103

Good luck-

Eagle

He's still there? Amazing. I knew him when I trained with Mr. Kim. Brian used to come over and eat noodle soup with us in the wee hours after we worked out. Good dude. Try him out Solid.

Solid
09-01-2004, 22:13
Roger that. Two recs from QPs? I'd be an idiot not to. Am also taking the EMT-B course. It's fun out here.

Solid

NousDefionsDoc
09-01-2004, 22:19
I never worked out with him. I just said he was a good dude, as in person. You take instruction at your own risk.

Roycroft201
09-01-2004, 22:58
Solid,

RE: the suggestions to stay safe, you may find this link interesting:

http://durham.areaconnect.com/crime1.htm

From the PS.com member with the 'motherly' instincts,
Roycroft201

Solid
09-01-2004, 23:10
M'am,
(Knock on wood) the area I am in right now is relatively well protected. However, I will still take precautions. I do not want to be the first to be attacked for my stupidity or ignorance.

Thank you for your worry,

Solid

alphamale
09-02-2004, 03:54
the area I am in right now is relatively well protected. However, I will still take precautions. re: areas

Solid, In some MMA's in the US, you can stay out of trouble by essentially "buying" your way out because you can afford to live where crime is low.

In other MMA's, crime has better feet for some reason.

re: precaution

I think the concept of precaution is highly overrated as a solution, IFF (if and only if) you are already a sentient being.

I used to take all sorts of precautions in how I lived because it seemed like the right thing to do, but it didn't end out making any difference. So I do a lot less of that now. If I want to go to the gym at 3am, I go at 3am. If I'm traveling, my travel person always books me in hotels that are located right on top of a major tourist areas that are very alive at night. Because no matter what time I arrive, the first thing I do is take a long walk, after:
1) Locking up my hard drive in the room safe since theft of corporate secrets is the highest risk thing during travel.
2) Re-confirming advice from my handler with the hotel staff on where to avoid.

I already have my knives on and travel wrench nearby at that point, because I do that in the airport bathroom before getting in the taxi. I would never have done that before. (take a long walk, alone, in a place I just traveled to) If I took more precautions, and didn't go out alone at night, I would have missed out on some incredible moments like hearing a group of high school kids singing in Piazza Navona in Rome at 1am, or checking out the strange looking rifles and uniforms of the Mariner military guarding a late-night Parliament session from those Italian politicians who love to debate.

So take in a Durham bulls baseball game http://www.durhambulls.com/ , the smell of cured tobacco leaves in downtown in the morning from the Liggett & Myers tobacco factory, and dinner at Sushi Blues (919) 664-8061, a really cool jazz-themed sushi place in a "nice area" and very close to the State Prison in Raleigh http://www.zspotlight.com/establishment.asp?zWhat=nightlife%20&EstID=8984

If you are using a rental car with Hertz NeverLost and driving there from Durham, it will definitively instruct you to go the wrong-way on a 1-way street near Glenwood Ave., so do keep your brain engaged :) .

FrontSight

Solid
09-02-2004, 05:20
FrontSight,
While I have utter respect for you, the weapons you design, and your choices, I do not see them as suitable for my own lifestyle.

It's in your face whenever you read about h2h on this site, from this thread to the 'does my technique work' to any of the other less recent ones- the word AVOIDFU, or a derivative, always pops up in some form.
Avoidfu, as I understand it, is another word for precaution. It is not a substitute for carrying a knife, a concealed firearm, or having bodyguards- it is the first line of defense.

Now watch me get taken this afternoon. :(

JMO, as I said- I respect you fully and your choices. This is just what I see as the alternate side of things.

Solid

alphamale
09-02-2004, 06:21
Solid, that's cool.

I don't think I'd expect many to agree with me on that.

It's all a matter of where you draw the line between what you are willing to do and and what you aren't. I didn't realize how severely I was drawing it before. It's like if you're a fish swimming in water, you are not aware of the water till suddenly you are on dry land.

FrontSight

Roguish Lawyer
09-02-2004, 12:31
Originally posted by Roguish Lawyer
Why are you going to be in Durham? :munchin

I think you need to come out of the closet. I've got all kinds of good advice for you, but I'm not giving it via PM!

Eagle5US
09-02-2004, 14:09
I never worked out with him. I just said he was a good dude, as in person. You take instruction at your own risk.
He had no preconcieved notions regarding his level of skill and ability. Which was why he ALSO carried a primary and secondary at all times.

To attest to his "good dudeness" I will share why he taught women for FREE-
He had (at one time) been contracted out to teach rape intervention to rape VICTIMS. He thought this approach a bit backwards...so he offered to teach all women for free. I thought that was mighty cool.

Wing Chun was Bruce Lee's original undertaking under Yip Man before his eventual development of Jeet Kun Do

Eagle

Solid
09-02-2004, 15:47
RL, I'm in a small community, so I'd rather do it over PM. PERSEC for tin-foil wearing kids like me.

JMO,

Solid

Roguish Lawyer
09-02-2004, 17:53
RL, I'm in a small community, so I'd rather do it over PM. PERSEC for tin-foil wearing kids like me.

JMO,

Solid

I will respect your misguided decision. No advice by PM, though.

Bill Harsey
09-02-2004, 18:07
FrontSight,
While I have utter respect for you, the weapons you design, and your choices, I do not see them as suitable for my own lifestyle.

It's in your face whenever you read about h2h on this site, from this thread to the 'does my technique work' to any of the other less recent ones- the word AVOIDFU, or a derivative, always pops up in some form.
Avoidfu, as I understand it, is another word for precaution. It is not a substitute for carrying a knife, a concealed firearm, or having bodyguards- it is the first line of defense.

Now watch me get taken this afternoon. :(

JMO, as I said- I respect you fully and your choices. This is just what I see as the alternate side of things.

Solid Solid, here's the straight stuff- doing everything right and nothing wrong can still result in a bad situation. When it all goes wrong, ain't no such thing as too many tools to extract yourself or save your life. Avoidfu is always the first preference but sometimes it's just way too late for that. What are you going to do then? Your now conversing with people who know this.

Solid
09-02-2004, 18:13
Mr Harsey,
I am always the first to admit that when the time comes that my avoidfu skills fail me, I lack the skills to extricate myself from the situation. These courses will hopefully give me that ability to an extent.
My comment to FrontSight was more an observation that no matter how trained, how armed, and how ready a person, IMO in a fight there can be no guarantees that you are the one walking out of it and therefore that avoidance and prevention is a key concern.

JMO,

Solid

Bill Harsey
09-02-2004, 18:16
Mr Harsey,
I am always the first to admit that when the time comes that my avoidfu skills fail me, I lack the skills to extricate myself from the situation. These courses will hopefully give me that ability to an extent.
My comment to FrontSight was more an observation that no matter how trained, how armed, and how ready a person, IMO in a fight there can be no guarantees that you are the one walking out of it and therefore that avoidance and prevention is a key concern.

JMO,

Solid Solid, Without going into details let me share one observation made up close and personally by me. The good gunfighters I've known have died of old age.

Solid
09-02-2004, 18:20
Mr. Harsey,

I would never doubt that nor question you on that matter.

Solid

flyboy1
09-02-2004, 19:35

TR

TR
Is the flaming Mug still around? This was always a unique "training ground" that these boys could visit and use NDD's learning method.

:D

Mike

The Reaper
09-02-2004, 19:52
Originally posted by flyboy1
TR
Is the flaming Mug still around? This was always a unique "training ground" that these boys could visit and use NDD's learning method.

:D

Mike

Gone as well, though I do not remember when.

Used to get a lot of metal bands there, and Southern Rock bands like Molly Hatchet, .38 Special, and Marshall Tucker.

The Cellar burned down as well.

I will have to check, but I think the Blue Marble, the Shady Lady, and of course, the world famous Bottom's Up clubs are still here.

There are still plenty of places to test your training.

TR

Eagle5US
09-02-2004, 20:06
The "Bottoms Up" had some of the saggiest mamms I think I have ever seen:(
One gal even drooped the thing into my "Old Milwalkee" draft by accident...not sure if it changed the flavor or not though

Eagle

The Reaper
09-02-2004, 20:18
Originally posted by Eagle5US
The "Bottoms Up" had some of the saggiest mamms I think I have ever seen:(
One gal even drooped the thing into my "Old Milwalkee" draft by accident...not sure if it changed the flavor or not though

Eagle

Well, you know the deal, they let them dance there till their third trimester started.

With Old Mil, I doubt if it hurt the flavor any.

A co-worker took his Dad down there to sample the seamy underside of Fatalburg night life.

He asked the waitress how far along she was. She said, "Along with what?"

He said, "With your pregnancy."

She said, "I ain't pregnant you old fart, its just a little beer gut!"

She came back later with another round. He failed to learn from Round One, and asked her about a nasty bruise on her leg.

She punched him on the arm and said, "You crazy bastard, that ain't a bruise, it is just a little dirt!"

She proceeded to spit into her palm and rub the mark off.

He passed his beer to his son, and they left after that round before things got really exciting.

Should have stayed on the porch.

You gotta love it!

TR

Jgood
09-02-2004, 21:03
I use to love Cloud 9 down town now that was a classy joint. First time i went there(yes more then once)they had a mother daughter team . would have been fine but i ran out of change for the jukebox:D

alphamale
09-02-2004, 21:49
re: precautions

Solid,

We might be talking past each other a smidge. Or maybe not ;). But just in case...

I'm not saying don't take precautions. I am not speaking in absolutes. It's shades of grey, not black and white. But to me, it's where I draw the line in terms of precautions to take or not take that determines quality of life.

Being slightly more blunt, by the time someone is an adult, if they need to be told, *in general*, what precautions they should or should not take, they are an idiot. i.e., "Don't look like a victim." You either hear it 1,000,000 times, or figure it out by the time you are 18. Specific precautionary advice about certain locations or happenings is always a good thing.

What just makes me twitch is hearing people talk about precautions as though they can really control what happens to them via that. Or, they don't need to learn SD or how to use a gun because they take precautions. Otherwise thinking people never come out and say that, but it's implied.

It's a crutch, because people want to think that they are more in control of what happens than what chance governs. It's like if someone hears about something bad that happens, their second reaction is to talk about what could have been done to avoid the situation to begin with. They don't see the logic error is describing precautions that require prior knowledge that something *is* going to happen and even *what* is going to happen. But are these precautions that they could or would choose to execute, day in, day out? Heck no.

If you analyze business school case studies like that, you get 3 red stamps,
"Prior knowledge error"
"This is not graduate level work"
"You don't get paid for having hindsight."

re: Skin places in NC

I arrived in Durham at 11pm on a Thursday night, hadn't eaten since 7am, had 3 hours of work to do, and asked the hotel person if there was anyplace still open. She said, "This is Durham, the city that always sleeps." She gave me directions to 1 place that would be open till 3am. Maybe "Jimmy's" or someplace that had a normal-sounding name. I put the address in the Neverlost. Took about 15 minutes to get there. Very crowded parking lot. I think "Cool this must be a good!" It was a skin place!!!

I don't have anything against skin places but going to a skin place I don't know *alone* is not something I would have planned to do! However, I had passed nothing on the way that looked more decent, so I said what the heck. It was actually kinda cool the place was divided in 2, the restaurant half and the skin half, and the restaurant half was gorgeous. I was the only one in there, and the women taking breaks came up and sat and talked with me the whole time I was there. Just another experience to add to the database.

FrontSight

Solid
09-02-2004, 23:39
FrontSight- We were talking past each other, we're agreed.

As for Durham... I was out tonight (not for long, as you can see- 0500 wakeup tomorrow), and who do I see? Durham's finest. There are two squad cars outside of a club in a 'safe' part of town, there solely to check IDs and cart in under-aged college drinkers.

This in a city where the crime rate is far higher than that of an average American city.

:confused:
Solid

The Reaper
09-03-2004, 08:07
Solid:

Get out of Durham and go to Chapel Hill, if you can tolerate the libs, or Cary/Raleigh.

Do you have wheels?

TR

Solid
09-03-2004, 09:28
I have access to them, roger that. What places would your recommend? So far I've just been mall-hopping to find things for my living quarters.

On the matter of h2h-
I was talking to my S3 last night about h2h, seeing if he or any of the other infantry-bound guys in the battalion wanted to come with me to the classes I was setting up. He tells me that I don't need to set up classes because they're already doing it!
Apparently, a guy who taught h2h to the Rangers is in the graduate school here. He's been okay'd by LTC Sherrill, our CO, and has offered to teach us three times a week after morning PT.

Good deal!

I just wanted to say: Thank you so much for all of your help. While it turns out that I might not need it, it's those contributions which make me feel at home in this virtual community.

Have a good morning/afternoon,

Solid

The Reaper
09-03-2004, 10:20
Solid:

You may want to do most of your after hours mall crawling in Durham at South Point. Some other places may afford you an early H2H opportunity.

I would try the grad student's instruction, the price is right and if you don't like it you can always go elsewhere.

Most of Raleigh/Cary is safe.

Good luck.

FS, you almost tempted me to make a racy comment, but I have refrained.

Congratulations.

TR

Solid
09-03-2004, 12:30
TR,
Roger that. Malls are evil places anyway, so I'm rarely over there. If I am... it sure isn't happening after hours. Plenty to do around here before I get bored enough to begin serious mall crawling.

Residential Durham is where I have to maintain good SA.

Thank you for the advice, everyone.

Solid

alphamale
09-04-2004, 07:14
Solid, I realized that I had not made an important distinction related to precautions to risk. There are 2 different types of precautions that I take because I see things in terms of 2 different types of risk. This distinction perhaps currently does not apply to you at all, but I think it’s not right to speak of them as one like I did, and I certainly wouldn’t want to encourage not doing something when the opposite should occur, so a correction:

1) General risk
Risk associated with where you live, where you work, what country you are in. The types of stats linked to by TR and Roycroft201 earlier in this thread.

When I said that concept of taking lots of precautions is overrated if you are not lame, and are already doing the common-sense things that keep you out of trouble (99% of the time), I was referring to *only* general risk. When I mentioned drawing the line in terms of what I am willing to do to not sacrifice quality of life, that was only about general risk.

2) Specific risk
Risk associated with situations and people in your life, your past, who you allow to get close to you, who you choose to be intimate with. This risk demands a lot more care and response because (what is that phrase…) if someone can target you, if someone has the drop on you, that’s it.

There is almost no limit to what I would do or have done in response to a certain specific risk. I have moved twice within a very short period of time a while back. (The first time, because it was the right thing to do. The second time, because a friend made a mistake that inadvertently led to my address that I had just moved to being published. I couldn’t speak for a day, and I have never since spoken to my friend. Each time, the move was long distances apart.) I don’t have to worry about the guy who hurt me who is in jail for a long time. But according to my DA, do have to worry about his friends and family who have violent records just like him. So I do things like procure info from corrections officers, and get other people to legally “own” everything (car, home, phone, etc.) of mine, because of course there’s no such thing as privacy. I have said that I wouldn’t move or change my job again for this, but I know I would.

Guns and knives have been the super fun part of this :) and don’t have a negative association any more. Moving boxes, however, are revolting.

FrontSight

The Reaper
09-04-2004, 08:30
I cannot fathom living in fear and having to move like that, as an honest citizen. In a situation like that, the actions I would take myself would probably be criminal.

That must really be tough for you.

On the other hand, I can live with some preparedness and SA.

I carry at least one concealed firearm anywhere I can, and am prepared to use it, along with several non-lethal weapons. I keep an eye on my surroundings and the activities of people around me. While I am not a physically huge guy, I am not small and I tend to have what some call a commanding or intimidating presence.

I go where I please, when I please, but I do a basic risk and threat assessment ahead of time and exercise some precautions. Then it is just a matter of being alert. Anyone who I do not know who approaches me, I scrutinize, and do a threat assessment.

If I am in an open public area and a sniper wants to hit me, I am probably done. OTOH, I figure the odds of that are pretty remote, and would be more likely a random event, like the DC Sniper rather than a professional. There is no reason for someone to come after me here like that. I have been places where that might be a concern, and I acted accordingly. Up close is a different matter, as most street crime goes down like that.

I have hung out in dangerous places a lot over the years, from combat zones to biker bars, and it is the weak, the unaware, or those looking for it, that usually find trouble.

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly.

Just my .02.

TR

Kyobanim
09-04-2004, 08:50
While I am not a physically huge guy, I am not small and I tend to have what some call a commanding or intimidating presence.

Now why doesn't that suprise me? :D

alphamale
09-04-2004, 10:12
Moving was not fear-based it was logic-based.

The possibilities of what could happen if I stayed were independent of whether I was afraid or totally not afraid. How I felt about it didn't matter, because my feelings couldn't affect the risk. What only mattered was what the DA said mattered, and I had to (have to) trust what he says.

The downside of doing that is that he is like a fish swimming in a ocean of evil people so his perspective is shifted.

The *only* really permanent bad things about what happened was losing my boyfriend with whom I was completely in love, and some scars. Other people's reactions were the tough thing to deal with, like my parents' grief. But it wasn't like it was weird crime of the century. Humans are very resilient. Which you all know. :cool:

FrontSight

alphamale
09-14-2004, 06:52
Hey Solid,

Here is a Situational Awareness (SA right?) thing from your current locale, from the big mall in Raleigh with the PF Changs (TR says this is Crabtree Valley Mall), the last time I was there.

Went there at 8pm directly from the airport because my trip after that just changed to international and I needed to get different clothes and a pair of sneaks. Needed to make a call but didn’t want to use up my remaining spare cell phone battery, so placed the call from that bank of 4 phone booths near the food court. Wednesday night, not many people around.

Phone #1 – dead. Phone #2 – dead. Phone #3 – working. Used phone #3 of 4.

5 min into the call, I see 2 13-15 year olds dressed like twins (bball tops, baggy pants walk up to phone # 1 and 2) The walk up to phone #1 and 2 and start to talk into the phones. I noticed they didn’t press enough #’s to be using a calling card, and they didn’t put any money in. I start to try to hang-up without being rude to the person I was talking with because that was kinda weird. Why would they be talking into a dead phone. Besides that, nothing threatening.

Then suddenly (new news) I “feel” a 3’rd person against my back behind me on phone #4. I hung up on the person I was talking with picked up my bag and left.

- I never saw see the 3’rd one approach at all (the way the booth is angled, the 4’th phone booth is more towards nothingness or an exit or something)

- Open phone booths are awkward things from a SA standpoint. Probably should have used the last phone booth and stood back to the booth.

FrontSight

Solid
09-14-2004, 09:59
When on the phone in public, mobile or otherwise, I try to make inconspicuous 360s to maintain awareness of my surroundings. That didn't sound like a fun time at all, though. I hate it when people get the drop on me.

As for H2H, I had my first session yesterday. My day's workout involved PT in the morning (3 mile interval fast run, sit ups, vee-ups, press ups) and then my first ever weight training session, which destroyed my legs. I went off to class and then in the afternoon went to H2H. I was still sore as hell and very inflexible on my legs, which made most of the chokes and mounts etc (Jujitsu) difficult, but when I came to sparring I had a great time.

My question, however, is: how effective is jujitsu? I'll continue with it because it's what's available, but I wanted opinions on it from the Professionals.

Thank you,

Solid
(incapable of desceding or ascending stairs)

The Reaper
09-14-2004, 10:13
Solid:

Too much for one day. Split the routine up, and allow rest for muscle groups on alternaste days.

JJ is okay. I personally think BJJ is better. Any art or training is better then none, especially if it involves sparring.

FS:

SA is paramount. Hard to talk on the phone and maintain good awareness, you have to practice at it. I would recommend not using public phones unless I had too, and keeping a spare cell phone battery charged up and a car/air charger to prevent having to do that again.

Just my .02.

TR

Solid
09-14-2004, 10:34
Sorry, we're doing Brazilian Jujitsu. I'm assuming that's what BJJ means, if so- excellent!

As for the workout, it was an atypical day and won't happen again. Today is my easy day anyway, so I figured I'd max myself on Monday and recooperate today. Might not work, but I can miss morning PT tomorrow if I need to.
I think one of the greatest features of the programme I'm in is that all the 'special activities' are student run and completely optional. As such, I don't have a rigid CoC to deal with whenever I hurt a knee or get a nasty bone bruise because I landed in a bad position.

The sparring was the best part. I sparred against an ex-wrestler who knew some LINS, and was whooped consistently for half an hour. So much fun, though.

Solid

The Reaper
09-14-2004, 10:53
Sorry, we're doing Brazilian Jujitsu. I'm assuming that's what BJJ means, if so- excellent!

As for the workout, it was an atypical day and won't happen again. Today is my easy day anyway, so I figured I'd max myself on Monday and recooperate today. Might not work, but I can miss morning PT tomorrow if I need to.
I think one of the greatest features of the programme I'm in is that all the 'special activities' are student run and completely optional. As such, I don't have a rigid CoC to deal with whenever I hurt a knee or get a nasty bone bruise because I landed in a bad position.

The sparring was the best part. I sparred against an ex-wrestler who knew some LINS, and was whooped consistently for half an hour. So much fun, though.

Solid

Yes, that is what BJJ meant, not some extracurricular sport.

Student lead activities is called "Leadership Training", IIRC. Many have not had it before. Also will show you follower techniques, if you are an astute observer.

LINES is what we teach students here at the school as a baseline technique.

Do not neglect your studies, Young Jedi.

TR