PDA

View Full Version : Xterra triathlon

MtnGoat
05-02-2011, 14:18
Anyone jumping and doing this??

Military Rec: Fort Bragg prepares for Xterra (http://fayobserver.com/articles/2011/05/01/1089670?sac=Mil)

perdurabo
05-02-2011, 14:28
I've never gotten the triathlon bug. My running and cycling are strong, but I have absolutely no endurance for swimming. Do any of you tri people have recommendations for getting up to speed.

I started out with the Total Immersion program a few years back and that worked wonders in short order, but I plateaued rather quickly & lost cheap access to a pool shortly thereafter.

Masochist
05-02-2011, 14:40
perdurabo,

I'm right there with you on the swimming. I've done halfs, endurance races and century rides, but the water was never my strong point. I tend to muscle through my strokes and exert a lot more energy than necessary. Anyone who's analyzed me says, "Well, it LOOKS like you're doing it right ..." :rolleyes:

A half and full tri are on my bucket list, so I'll either work on my efficiency or rely on my stubbornness and cardio endurance. Should be fun regardless.

FXCOfire
05-05-2011, 12:17
Tempting to try and make the FT Bragg Xterra

swimming- no mention was made whether working out alone or in a masters class. Masters groups have varying degrees of coaching experience. I was at Gearge Mason University last year. The Masters coach was the NCAA coach as well.

FXCOfire

CW1287
05-06-2011, 07:21
I was doing Triathlons before I entered the miltary, and I have found that long hours in the pool help with technique. The more tired you are the more you focus on the techincal aspect. Later I found there is an easier way. I usually start slow and work solely on proper technique, the better the technique the less resistance, the faster you are. Basically Slow is smooth, smooth is fast. I am with you all swimming is the toughest.....just wait until game day when you try and get out of the water!!! Word of advice, take 2 seconds to walk when you get to the beach so you don't find yourself on the wrong end of a face plant.:munchin