PDA

View Full Version : The Patriot's Moral Code

Richard
05-01-2011, 07:26
De oppresso liber.

Richard :munchin

The Patriot’s Moral Code

We are patriots. We believe in the greatness of America’s national ideals. We believe America has an indispensable purpose in the world: to demonstrate, by example, the power of freedom and equal opportunity.

True patriots know that America was founded in freedom – freedom to speak, to worship, to choose whatever path to happiness suits us best – but that with freedom comes an equal responsibility to country, community, and family.

True patriots believe that what enables a free society to remain strong is a set of traditional virtues and values: pragmatism tied to principle, honesty and integrity, hard work and personal initiative, responsibility and self-discipline, fairness and compassion, competitive striving and fair play, a desire to serve the nation and a kinship with the world.

True patriots believe that freedom from responsibility is selfishness, freedom from sacrifice is cowardice, freedom from tolerance is prejudice, freedom from stewardship is exploitation, and freedom from compassion is cruelty.

True patriots know that we should measure our nation’s progress by whether every citizen has a fair shot to advance on the basis of talent and merit, and by the degree to which we promote the common success of all our citizens. Freedom without an equal chance to enjoy it is no freedom at all.

True patriots believe it is immoral when inequality of opportunity leads to and perpetuates inequality itself. On a truly level playing field, some will do much better than others because we are not all equally talented or motivated. But when the tilt of the field keeps even the talented from ever winning, that is unfair and un-American.

True patriots believe that we should measure a citizen’s worth by contribution to country and community, not by wealth or power – that those whom America has benefited most should contribute in proportion to their good fortune – and that serving others should be esteemed more highly than serving self.

These were the ideals of the founders of our country and the defenders of our union. They have made America unique and necessary from the beginning. And now it is time for them to inspire a new generation of Americans.

"The True Patriot" - Eric Liu and Nick Hanauer

greenberetTFS
05-01-2011, 07:37
Excellent post Richard...............:D:D:D

Big Teddy :munchin

glebo
05-01-2011, 07:54
Great post.

As George William Curtis states (American writer and public speaker 1824-1892);

"A mans country is not a certain area of land, of mountains, rivers, and woods, but it is a principle; and patriotism is loyalty to that principle."

Dusty
05-01-2011, 08:04
De oppresso liber.

The Patriot’s Moral Code

True patriots believe it is immoral when inequality of opportunity leads to and perpetuates inequality itself. On a truly level playing field, some will do much better than others because we are not all equally talented or motivated. But when the tilt of the field keeps even the talented from ever winning, that is unfair and un-American."The True Patriot" - Eric Liu and Nick Hanauer

:cool:

Sigaba
05-01-2011, 08:56
Great post, QP Richard. However, I am alarmed that the code says nothing about the importance of sea power.

Team Sergeant
05-01-2011, 10:01
Great post, QP Richard. However, I am alarmed that the code says nothing about the importance of sea power.

All in favor of banning Sigaba???? :rolleyes:

Richard
05-01-2011, 10:04

Aye, Cap'n! I'll get the ropes ready for the keel haulin' o' the slimey bilge rat. :D

Dusty
05-01-2011, 10:20

Please. Call 'im Popeye.

Sigaba
05-01-2011, 10:24
Aye, Cap'n! I'll get the ropes ready for the keel haulin' o' the slimey bilge rat. :D

I'm about five hundred feet from a ship that sails at 1700. However, as this ship is docked at a union-worked port, I like my chances that the noble members of the longshore union will manage to break your budget before they remember where they put the ropes.

(Then again, given the hell I've given the porters this season, speed records for work done might actually be set.)

bluebb
05-01-2011, 12:34
I like my chances that the noble members of the longshore union

I have to work around the longshore and their work effects mine. While there are many fine longshore, the union itself is very bad. They are hurting America.

Blue

bluebb
05-01-2011, 12:35
Great post by Richard. Sorry for the rant.

Blue

Sigaba
05-01-2011, 15:06
I have to work around the longshore and their work effects mine. While there are many fine longshore, the union itself is very bad. They are hurting America.

BlueIME, there are folks in unions who "get it" and those who don't. Even if one charitably assumes that the ones who do out number those who don't, they cannot overcome the inertia of the ones who don't.

(The porter in the photo and his 'brothers' make $30/hour. Plus tips.)

/thread hijack.

dr. mabuse
05-01-2011, 19:01