PDA

View Full Version : Tornado

2018commo
04-28-2011, 17:38
Prayers out to my ALARNG Brothers and their families. Beautiful country and wonderful people...

Richard
04-28-2011, 17:48
My son is flying to Alabama tomorrow morning to drive my niece back home for the summer - Tuscaloosa was hit HARD and Bama has cancelled classes for the remainder of the term.

Richard :munchin

Dozer523
04-29-2011, 04:02
Big Teddy . . .
Sound off!

glebo
04-29-2011, 07:58
Damn...those places got HAMMERED...prayers and best wishes out to all those fine Americans in their time of need..

DaveMatteson
05-06-2011, 09:25
Last Wednesday night was not a good night for North Alabama. 3 Super Cells slammed into Alabama at 70 MPH with 200mph winds creating 3 EF5 tornados. One hit Tuskaloosa, one Cullman, and one just North west of us. The 3 EF 5 tornados emitted over 240 tornados injuring over 2000 and sadly taking the life of over 300 Alabamians. Just under 1/2 of Alabama is a national disaster area and FEMA was on the ground the night this all happened.

On Wednesday night we were in my basement with no power, 3 flashlights, and a cat when we went into tornado countdown (this is when a tornado is spotted forming and dropping). At 1 minute the tornado vered from downtown Huntsville, here I live, and hit the Moores Mill Winchester Rd area of Huntsville which is 1 mile from me.

On Friday I took my wife, daughter and son to Tupelo to meet up with my oldest daughter so they could stay with her while we were powerless. I stayed with the house to prevent looting. Which brings me to story No.1;

On thursday night there would have been 53 burglaries except one business owner decided to stay with his business. One person decided to break into this business and took 3 in the chest. The next morning Huntsville Police made an amazing announcement: They stated that there were about 52 burglaries with the death of one burglar. They went on to state that the home and business owners have the RIGHT to protect their property in this emergency situation and if you are a criminal and are intent on stealing and breaking into homes and businesses you will be stopped one way or another. The following day HPD announced that overnight there were only 8 buglaries and a total of 15 through Sunday.

Now a tornado story. On my way to take my wife to our oldest daughters house we went through a community out past Moulton where atleast 4 tornados touched down. I saw an amazing site. An electricity transmission tower had been turned into a tiny little ball of steel. About 2 hours later on my way back through this community the electic company had a replacement tower up and in place. WOW. But that was not the only thing. The forest area near it where the tornado touched down, the trees were wrapped around themselves and a house, in the middle of everything, was untouched.

Just so you know the magnitude of this storm, debris from Mississippi was found in Jackson County Alabama which is on the opposite side of the state from MS.

While I was out I did get to talk to National Guardsmen and at this point, watching these guys do their job, I wished I had not retired.

DaveMatteson
05-06-2011, 09:32
My son is flying to Alabama tomorrow morning to drive my niece back home for the summer - Tuscaloosa was hit HARD and Bama has cancelled classes for the remainder of the term.

Richard :munchin

Hope all is well with your family Richard. The tornado that slammed Tuskaloosa was about 1.5 miles wide.