PDA

View Full Version : Petraeus / CIA

wet dog
04-28-2011, 15:34
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/petraeus-would-helm-an-increasingly-militarized-cia/2011/04/27/AFwoDM1E_story_1.html

Petraeus would helm an increasingly militarized CIA

Petraeus seems unlikely to encounter significant opposition from Capitol Hill. Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.), the chairwoman of the Senate Intelligence Committee, which will consider the nomination, signaled support for Petraeus but stopped short of a formal endorsement.

“He is clearly a very accomplished officer and familiar with the parts of the world where many of the threats to our security originate,” Feinstein said in a statement. But being a military commander “is a different role than leading the top civilian intelligence agency,” Feinstein said, adding that she would “look forward to hearing his vision for the CIA.”

President Barack Obama plans to name CIA Director Leon Panetta to replace Defense Secretary Robert Gates, and Gen. David Petraeus, now running the war in Afghanistan, would take the CIA job. (April 27)

Petraeus’s nomination triggered some grumbling among CIA veterans opposed to putting a career military officer in charge of an agency with a long tradition of civilian leadership.

Others voiced concern that Petraeus is too wedded to the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq — and the troop-heavy, counterinsurgency strategy he designed — to deliver impartial assessments of those wars as head of the CIA.

Indeed, over the past year the CIA has generally presented a more pessimistic view of the war in Afghanistan than Petraeus has while he has pushed for an extended troop buildup.

“The question is, what does [the administration] want the intelligence service to be?” said a former senior CIA officer, who spoke on the condition of anonymity. “Are they going to have a civilian intelligence service or is it going to be a giant counterterrorism center?”

Obama administration officials said that Petraeus would retire from the military to take the CIA job. Even so, a U.S. official close to the general said he is likely to view running the agency largely through the prism of his experience as a wartime commander.

The official said Petraeus would likely make frequent visits to CIA stations around the world, and defer to the Director of National Intelligence on Washington-based issues such as budgets and big-ticket technology programs.

Petraeus has spent relatively little time in Washington over the past decade and doesn’t have as much experience with managing budgets or running Washington bureaucracies as CIA predecessors Leon E. Panetta and Michael V. Hayden. But Petraeus has quietly lobbied for the CIA post, drawn in part by the chance for a position that would keep him involved in the wars in Afghanistan, Pakistan, Iraq and Yemen.

As top commander in Iraq and Afghanistan, Petraeus has relied heavily on CIA and special operations forces to capture and kill mid-level and senior insurgent leaders. But he has insisted that the targeted strikes be a part of a broader and more comprehensive counterinsurgency campaign — putting him at odds with advocates of a more surgical approach, including Vice President Biden.

Petraeus, 58, is intensely organized and has relied on a network of trusted advisers, many with biographies similar to his own, with stints in combat units, graduate school and teaching at West Point. CIA veterans said it would be a mistake for Petraeus to arrive with an entourage. “If you look like you’re coming in to fix us and show us how to do things,” one former official said, “the antibodies start rejecting the transplant.”

Staff writer Walter Pincus contributed to this report.

f50lrrp
04-28-2011, 20:08
I'v known Leon Panetta since 1972. He worked in a law firm in Monterey, CA named Panetta, Thompson and Panetta with his brother Joe and my Criminal Law Professor, Ralph Thompson. Leon wasn't much of a criminal lawyer losing just about every case that he defended so he ran for Congress and won.

In the middle of his term, he led the movement to close FT Ord. The theory was that the 7th Division had no Airport to deploy from within 4 hours and that there were no arty ranges on FT Ord to shoot the 7th ID's 105's from.

The 7th ID was able to deploy to Panama from the Monterey Airport and Fort Hunter Liggett and Fort Roberts were 65 and 85 miles from FT Ord. The 7th ID moved to FT Lewis, WA where McCord AFB is located. The ranges at FT Lewis were actually further from the 7th ID's HQ than FT Hunter Liggett is from FT Ord.

Panetta ended up placing his PANETTA INSTITUTE on the former FT Ord!

Panetta was chosen by Clinton to be his Chief Of Staff at the WH. Leon was smart enough to quit when Bill had his Monica problems.

Now Leon has been CIA Director for "O" for a couple of years and low and behold "O" wants him to become Defence Secretary. Could it be because "O" wants to have Pratreus in a position not to run against him, in 2012, as a Republican?

wet dog
04-28-2011, 22:50
I knew a bit of the Leon story, my father having worked in San Jose, Gilroy, Morgan Hill, Hollister, Montery, etc.

What surprises me is the article quickly mentioned that the CIA has been run by civilians for some time now and has been trending towards "military" which sould be alarming to others. Go figure. Might I remind every one it started out as the OSS and only became the CIA when Special Forces formed in 1952, or there bouts.

edited: Interesting to think "O" wanted to tie up Petraeus for a 2-4 year assignment.

VVVV
04-29-2011, 05:57
I knew a bit of the Leon story, my father having worked in San Jose, Gilroy, Morgan Hill, Hollister, Montery, etc.

What surprises me is the article quickly mentioned that the CIA has been run by civilians for some time now and has been trending towards "military" which sould be alarming to others. Go figure. Might I remind every one it started out as the OSS and only became the CIA when Special Forces formed in 1952, or there bouts.

edited: Interesting to think "O" wanted to tie up Petraeus for a 2-4 year assignment.

"Truman signed the National Security Act of 1947 establishing the CIA."

https://www.cia.gov/about-cia/history-of-the-cia/index.html

More:
https://www.cia.gov/kids-page/6-12th-grade/operation-history/history-of-the-cia.html

Richard
04-29-2011, 06:50
The PM side of the house was nearly eradicated amidst the rampant kumbayism that struck the world post-Fall of the Wall and the break-up of the former USSR. The thinking of the time was that ELINT and PHOTINT would fulfill our PIR/SIR/OIR needs and HUMINT (including the PM side) would be a thing of the past.

I guess the thinking was wrong. :rolleyes:

Could it mean an expanded PM role in COIN ops in the future?

And so it goes...

Richard :munchin

wet dog
04-29-2011, 09:49
"Truman signed the National Security Act of 1947 establishing the CIA."

https://www.cia.gov/about-cia/history-of-the-cia/index.html

More:
https://www.cia.gov/kids-page/6-12th-grade/operation-history/history-of-the-cia.html

You're right. The beginning of the end when an idea takes 5 years to make the change. Who were its' first agents?

JimP
04-29-2011, 10:51
naw, the agency is just pissed because Petreaus picks his staff based on how fast they run. Not a technique I advocate by the way...