PDA

View Full Version : Before work hunt

craigepo
04-28-2011, 08:21
Got this dude to come in. Hunting here on the farm. Even made it to work on time. Young bird. 19 1/2 pounds, 10 inch beard.

Habu-MFFI 175
04-28-2011, 09:42
Nothing like a good nature hike before work..:D

Congrats on a great harvest.

<*))))>{

RB64
04-28-2011, 09:56
Looks like you might be posting soon in "Who's making what today." Great way to start the day with a smile. :)

JJ_BPK
04-28-2011, 10:28
Got this dude to come in.
Young bird. 19 1/2 pounds, 10 inch beard.

I B Jealous..

Congrats..

:lifter

Dusty
04-28-2011, 10:44
Good work!

:cool:

I didn't shoot one, but my bud Syd did, and before he could get to it, it floated away. Seriously.
We've had some bad gullywashers up here, lately.

badshot
04-30-2011, 02:28
Got this dude to come in. Hunting here on the farm. Even made it to work on time. Young bird. 19 1/2 pounds, 10 inch beard.

Nice bird, young ones taste better...

Looks like you have some good predator habitat there too.

Dusty, sorry to hear your dinner (and your friends) floated away...guess the bad, the good, and the wtf's are why we all keep at it.

Buffalobob
04-30-2011, 10:17
I am certainly envious of anyone who can just go out the back door and start hunting.

craigepo
04-30-2011, 20:05
I am certainly envious of anyone who can just go out the back door and start hunting.

I am certainly blessed.

I hunted today with a buddy of mine, who lives about 4 miles from me (as the crow flies). He has 2000 acres, and watches another 600 for a neighbor. Very remote, full of turkeys, deer, and a few bear. Very remote and very steep. We have seen a ton of turkeys in the last few days. I ride my Polaris there and back.

Wife had a birthday party today. Had about 30 people show up to trail ride. Trails get really remote really fast near my farm.

Tress
04-30-2011, 21:48
Originally posted by craigepo

I am certainly blessed.

I hunted today with a buddy of mine, who lives about 4 miles from me (as the crow flies). He has 2000 acres, and watches another 600 for a neighbor. Very remote, full of turkeys, deer, and a few bear. Very remote and very steep. We have seen a ton of turkeys in the last few days. I ride my Polaris there and back.

Damn!!!! I thought that I had it good having sole hunting access to a private 400 and 100 acre tract. You are in heaven!!!!

But, there are a ton of bears around here. Someone bagged a 750+ lb. black bear just up the road from here this past bear season.

ES 96
05-01-2011, 02:14
...there are a ton of bears around here. Someone bagged a 750+ lb. black bear just up the road from here this past bear season.

Westmoreland County per chance?

Roguish Lawyer
05-01-2011, 12:01
Nice!

Roguish Lawyer
05-01-2011, 12:02
Can anyone recommend a good spot for turkey hunting in or near Southern California?

JJ_BPK
05-01-2011, 12:03
Can anyone recommend a good spot for turkey hunting in or near Southern California?

The Academy Awards Ceremony??? :D

Tress
05-01-2011, 19:59
Originally posted by ES 96:

Westmoreland County per chance?

No, actually the northeastern part of the state. Monore/Pike county area. The bear was actually some old guys pet basically. He had been feeding it since it was a cub for the last 17 years or so. It had been tagged in NJ as a nuisance bear and seen there frequently, so it was swimming the Delaware river several times per year.

Here is a link to one of the local newspaper articles about it:

http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20101122/NEWS/11220308&cid=sitesearch

This link is about the stink that arose because the bear was killed:

http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20101120/NEWS/11200303&cid=sitesearch

And I was wrong. He weighed in at about 875 lbs. I had actually seen this bear several times per year, though the thought never entered my head to go hunting after him. The guy that was feeding it lived right by one of the better trout streams in the area and I always fish that stream. It was an impressive sight to see. He would come real close to you before you even knew he was there. But if you lived in the area you could tell right away by the tag that he wore and his size that it was "Bozo" and then your heart rate would return to normal. He was just looking for some donuts.

mark46th
05-06-2011, 21:34
Nice bird!!

RL- Down by Mt Palomar/Julian. Also in Cleveland National Forest down by Alpine. Also some Mountain Quail down there.... For guided hunts, Tejon Ranch is closest to you. I also know a couple of guides in the Paso Robles/King City area...

ES 96
05-10-2011, 19:04
No, actually the northeastern part of the state. Monore/Pike county area. The bear was actually some old guys pet basically. He had been feeding it since it was a cub for the last 17 years or so. It had been tagged in NJ as a nuisance bear and seen there frequently, so it was swimming the Delaware river several times per year.

Tress, thank you for passing along the links/info.

Wow, even here in Idaho I don't think I've ever heard of a black bear getting that big. The story of "Bozo" sure illustrates how feeding wildlife usually turns out poorly for the animal(s) especially on that junk food "Supersize Me" diet Bozo was fed.