PDA

View Full Version : Maj Herman Dow “Dee” James, Jr., Nov. 20, 2010

JJ_BPK
04-28-2011, 04:48
RIP Brother, Vaya con Dios..

Dee & I served together in the early 70t's. We lost track,, and one of the other team members just sent this obit.

We burned many cytoplasmic connections, neurons, & synapse,, and had a lot of FUN.

Depending on the company, some of us would assume the persona of Brother Loves Traveling Tent Preachers & Minstrels,, at other times Dr Loves Traveling Gyno & VD Clinic..

Dee, you will be missed...

Mr. Herman Dow “Dee” James, Jr. Obituary

Mr. Herman Dow “Dee” James Jr., 69, of Newnan, Ga., born June 13, 1941, passed away on Nov. 20, 2010, while surrounded by family, and was interred at Arlington National Cemetery on April 1, 2011, with full military honors.

Blessed with an appetite for living and a wicked sense of humor, Dee loved the outdoors, fresh and saltwater fishing, snorkeling for lobster, deer, wild boar and duck hunting, barefoot waterskiing, jumping out of airplanes, Cuban cigars, his war buddies, big red pick-up trucks and fast cars and boats. He was a man’s man, he loved his country and he treasured his wife and family.

A Major in the Army Special Forces (Airborne), Dee served three tours in Vietnam in the 2nd Corps Mobile Strike Force, the 5th Special Forces Airborne Group and the 1st Special Forces Group, 1968, 1969 and 1970. During his military career, which spanned 17 1/2 years including his reserve service, Dee earned the Distinguished Service Cross, a Silver Star (one oakleaf cluster), a Bronze Star (V for Valor, two oakleaf clusters), the Purple Heart (four oakleaf clusters), the Air Medal (V for valor), and numerous other national and international awards and citations.

After leaving the military, Dee had a successful career in the cruise industry for over 20 years, overseeing food safety, hotel operations and developing new destination properties. He loved to travel, taught water aerobics at the swim center in Newnan, smoked his cigars and taught his Macaw bird to talk.

A native of Atlanta, a graduate of Marist High School and of the University of Georgia with a degree in Forestry, Dee is survived by his beloved wife of 26 years, Michele Dineen Marino-James, and his mother-in-law Daron “Mumsy” Svorinich, of the home.

He is mourned by his daughter, Heather Lynn (and Mark) Powers of Southern Pines, N.C.; his nieces, Lyn Pesterfield Murajda of Boiling Springs, S.C.; Margaret Pesterfield Roberts of Duluth, Ga.; and Susanne Ruth Pesterfield of Atlanta, Ga.; one great-niece Jessica Anne Pesterfield of Toronto, Ontario; and one great-nephew, John Charles Savor, of Boiling Springs, S.C. Dee was preceded in death by his sister Margaret Ann James of Atlanta, and by his parents, Mary Evelyn and Herman Dow James Sr. of Atlanta and of Miami.

He is interred at Arlington National Cemetery in section 60, grave #9407.

Condolences may be expressed online at: www.mckoon.com .

Tatonka316
04-28-2011, 08:21
Rest in peace, Major. Thank you for your lifetime of service and sacrifice. You will ALWAYS be missed and NEVER forgotten.

molon labe

Rogue
04-28-2011, 15:57
Rest in peace, Major.

rdret1
04-28-2011, 16:06
Rest in Peace Maj. James. Thank you for your service and sacrifices. Thank you for standing guard for our freedoms and those of others around the world.

Red Flag 1
04-28-2011, 19:26
Rest In God's Peace Major.

vrybalka
04-29-2011, 08:46
I was on many a jump with Dee. Utah was the most memorable. He was a great soldier and a good friend

greenberetTFS
04-29-2011, 18:00
God Bless,Rest in Peace Warrior...........

He was just a simple soldier and his ranks are growing thin
But his presence should remind us; we may need his like again,
For when countries are in conflict, then we find the soldier's part
Is to clean up all the troubles that the politicians start.
If we cannot do him honor while he's here to hear the praise,
Then at least let's give him homage at the ending of his days.

Perhaps just a simple headline in the paper that might say:
OUR COUNTRY IS IN MOURNING, FOR A SOLDIER DIED TODAY. (author unknown)

The passing of our soldiers often go unnoticed and unsung by most of the world, remembered only by family and friends. Wish it were not so. May he RIP, his family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Big Teddy

Agoge2
04-29-2011, 18:03
Rest in Peace Sir and thank you for your many years of selfless service and sacrifice.

ZonieDiver
04-30-2011, 10:29
Rest In Peace, Sir.

Susanne P
09-27-2011, 12:00
Gentlemen,

I came across this thread when looking online for my uncle Dee's obituary.

It means a great deal to read so many loving, and funny, comments about uncle Dee. Thank you especially to his former fellow soldiers for sharing. I'm forwarding your comments to his widow and the rest of our family.

If anyone would like to see photos of Dee's internment at Arlington, email me privately and I'll be more than glad to share them.

When God made Dee he broke the mold, for sure. :) He was a good man.

Best regards,
Susanne