PDA

View Full Version : Fake Vet Scams 16 Million

Dusty
04-21-2011, 09:06
Scumbag.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2011/04/21/2011-04-21_vet_guilty_of_16m_scam.html

A man claiming to be a disabled vet was convicted Wednesday of ripping off the government for $16 million in federal contracts.

A Manhattan federal jury said John Anthony Raymond White and his firm, Mitsubishi Construction Corp., bid on contracts the VA awarded under the Service-Disabled Veteran-Owned Small Business Program.

White at times claimed he hurt his back while a Navy ROTC; other times he said he was in Special Forces.The jury concluded he was always a fraud - and he faces up to 75 years in jail and $3.7 million in fines when sentenced.

He won several contracts, including a $5.7 million job in 2009 to build a flood wall around the Veterans Administration Medical Center on E. 23rd St. in Manhattan.

"Those contracts were supposed to go to real veterans," prosecutor Virgil Bragg said.

Eventually, the VA got suspicious and discovered White has a rap sheet for forgery and grand larceny.

White ultimately told the VA he was not a vet.

Sohei
04-21-2011, 09:21
That's a sad situation all the way around. Apparently, their vetting system, if they have one, isn't very accurate with their information.

The article stated: "Eventually, the VA got suspicious and discovered White has a rap sheet for forgery and grand larceny" and " White ultimately told the VA he was not a vet."

I would have hoped that a background investigation would have been done at the onset of the contracts in order to determine whether or not he or his company was a viable candidate for the contract. One would think that with so many different concocted stories, something would have surfaced sooner rather than later.

Richard
04-21-2011, 10:00
Bet he now claims PTSD for all the stress he was under from the fear of being found out while scamming the VA, the vets, and the American taxpayers. :mad: :mad:

I've got a new rope in my garage that needs a good stretching before I decide to do a slack jump with it the next time I go abseiling. ;)

Richard :munchin

wet dog
04-21-2011, 11:42
The uniform of the modern criminal = Business suit and tie.

Politicians included, educated on an Ivy League Campus.

Geenie
04-21-2011, 11:48
I always get so confused when I hear these stories of posers scamming government agencies. From watching you guys vet people on this site, it seems like a simple DD214 goes a long way. What gives?

Well, hope this guy gets what he deserves!

Mr Furious
04-21-2011, 12:10
They got what they deserved. They would have had a tough go trying to get away with it today. The veterans verification act was signed into law this past Oct. The verification process for veteran-owned and serviced-disabled veteran-owned businesses is thorough. They even pick companies at random and show up at your office unannounced at 8am to pour through your business operations, legal, and financial records to ensure you are who you say who are.;) If the business is listed in vetbiz.gov with the CVE verification logo, then it has gone through this process.

You will always have folks trying to slip through the system. This verification process is a necessary pain in the tail to go through to ensure they weed out the ones trying to get over.

plato
04-21-2011, 13:52
Gentlemen,

This should fall under the Stolen Valor Act of 2005. Correct?

Clearly, IMO since it was done for profit.

However, it feels so good to see somone dabble with the SVA and grab hold of a sticky chunk of "Defrauding the Fed Gov".

Looks like a great day. :D

delta6
04-21-2011, 13:59
Now the bastard will get free room and board for many years to come.

Red Flag 1
04-21-2011, 16:42
Now the bastard will get free room and board for many years to come.

And I pray some "quality time" as bride to Bubba.