PDA

View Full Version : Unsolicited Praise: Ken Brock Knives

swatsurgeon
04-20-2011, 00:45
Or shameless plug..... :)
Just received this customized tanto...wow, can't wait to have to rescue a patient trapped in a car that I get to use that knife to go through the car door or roof to open like a sardine can. This is a knife built for work!
Sorry Ken, had to share here too.......

ss

Bill Harsey
04-20-2011, 08:40
Nice work Ken.
I like those blades you can use to pry a railroad engine off the tracks with. :lifter

DDD
04-20-2011, 09:33
Or shameless plug..... :)
Just received this customized tanto...wow, can't wait to have to rescue a patient trapped in a car that I get to use that knife to go through the car door or roof to open like a sardine can. This is a knife built for work!
Sorry Ken, had to share here too.......

ss

Although I agree that Ken's knives are amazing, I can't help but think that this self titled "shameless plug" is nothing more than an attempt at jumping the line for a Brock/George Folder. I say nice try, but back of the line for you!:D

Barbarian
04-20-2011, 10:08
Good buy. That thing's built like a wrecking bar. Nice work Mr. Brock.

swatsurgeon
04-20-2011, 10:23
Although I agree that Ken's knives are amazing, I can't help but think that this self titled "shameless plug" is nothing more than an attempt at jumping the line for a Brock/George Folder. I say nice try, but back of the line for you!:D

DDD,
Not sure if you saw my question to Les about being able to change the pocket clip for either right or left side deployment...that would make it a really desirable folder to own.

wet dog
04-20-2011, 11:05
...I can't help but think that this self titled "shameless plug" is nothing more than an attempt at jumping the line for a Brock/George Folder.

Ok., how can you blame a guy for trying?

DDD
04-20-2011, 22:05
Ok., how can you blame a guy for trying?

You can't:D I'm pretty sure I'm out of the running due to a couple comments I made on another forum.....Damn Brock gets so thin skinned sometimes:p

PedOncoDoc
04-21-2011, 06:11
That's a beautiful blade there.

Out of curiosity, what is the difference between a traditional tanto tip and an "Americanized tanto tip"?

In the pictures it appears the tip is thicker, more of a chisel-type tip, on the Americanized blade but I've not had a chance to view this style blade in person.

mcarey
04-21-2011, 07:56
Nice looking knife Ken!

Ken Brock
04-21-2011, 20:15
thanks for the kind words guys!

I'm sure Mr. Harsey can answer the traditional vs. Amercianized tanto question but here's my stab at it

the traditional Japanese tanto had a grind more like the top knife in the picture attached here.

The Americanized version is angular and had a secondary grind on the tip, like the knife that Swatsurgeon posted or like the bottom knife in the picture I attached

PSM
04-21-2011, 20:58
thanks for the kind words guys!

I'm sure Mr. Harsey can answer the traditional vs. Amercianized tanto question but here's my stab at it

the traditional Japanese tanto had a grind more like the top knife in the picture attached here.

The Americanized version is angular and had a secondary grind on the tip, like the knife that Swatsurgeon posted or like the bottom knife in the picture I attached

To follow up on PedOncoDoc's question, can you please explain the theory behind the change? Tip strength seems the most obvious but, since I'm not knife-wise, I'm not sure of the "mission" on the tanto blade.

Pat

Ken Brock
04-21-2011, 21:12
To follow up on PedOncoDoc's question, can you please explain the theory behind the change? Tip strength seems the most obvious but, since I'm not knife-wise, I'm not sure of the "mission" on the tanto blade.

Pat

to be quite honest, I'm not sure who came up with the Americanized version or why

the first time I remember seeing it was in the late 80's on the Cold Steal knives

IIRC, Cold Steal claimed that Dan Maragni (spelling?) had designed it

but I seem to remember that Bob Lum was doing them also

I'm sure Bill has more knowledge about it

after all, I was just a kid back in the 80's and Bill was............................not a kid

:D

Bill Harsey
04-22-2011, 08:19
Ken,
Bob Lum was the first designer and maker of the American tanto.

The word Tanto in Japan refers to a specific length of edged weapon of about between 6 and 12 inches.

In that blade length I have seen examples of many types of blade shapes and types including full double edges and triangular in cross section armor piercing spikes.

Many traditional tantos have very simple clean blade designs.
Here is one by the bladesmith and friend of mine Michael Bell of http://dragonflyforge.com/ who lives here in Oregon.
I'll call Michael later and ask If I can post this here.
The Tanto is for sale.